Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201378 times)

gilj

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1290 on: August 22, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
I don't think the problem is the tru axle size. Its the fork spacing that is wrong. If you check most wheels require a 100x12 tru axle spacing of the fork (at least from my quick google search).

That's correct, the fork should measure 100mm dropout to droput.

gbrnole

« Reply #1291 on: August 22, 2022, 01:58:15 PM »
I seem to be getting nowhere with Chris. Did anyone have their forks being bent 2cm inwards? I don't think this carbon fork is to be trusted anymore, right? The TA is a standard 130mm TA, and it's fully threaded in on one side. So the fork is just too narrow.

did you measure the inside face to face of the fork? it seems more like the through axle is mismarked for OLD of 130 rather than overall length of 130mm?

Pigdog

« Reply #1292 on: August 22, 2022, 04:37:54 PM »
did you measure the inside face to face of the fork? it seems more like the through axle is mismarked for OLD of 130 rather than overall length of 130mm?

Yeah I think it has to be something like this. The carbon parts are made in a mold, so I can’t see how a completely different dimension could even happen. I mean unless the fork got crushed in shipping, but that would be fairly obvious.
Have you tried sliding a wheel into the fork and see how it fits?

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1293 on: August 22, 2022, 05:18:44 PM »
To those thinking it is the length of the thru axle, gilj posted a few pages back with a tape measure and it shows that the fork measuring in at ~83 mm.

eucalyptus

« Reply #1294 on: August 23, 2022, 12:54:19 AM »
Also, a carbon fork cannot be bent or crushed in shipping

A carbon fork either flex a little and goes back to original position

or breaks in half. I cannot be bent like alloy.

That axle is correct, its just his fork thats fked up! How Chris from Velobuild cannot admit fault is beyond my understanding, if he cannot see anything wrong then he is not suited to work in that position.

vTuga

« Reply #1295 on: August 23, 2022, 07:07:18 AM »
Also, a carbon fork cannot be bent or crushed in shipping

A carbon fork either flex a little and goes back to original position

or breaks in half. I cannot be bent like alloy.
That's also the reason I would't try to put a wheel in that fork, even if it fits. Best case scenario it puts tremendous amount of pressure on the wheel and severely degrades the lifespan of the hub and bearings. Worst case, it snaps in half without warning.

vTuga

« Reply #1296 on: August 23, 2022, 07:47:15 PM »
I'm getting kind of frustrated by the lack of communication and lack of responses I'm getting from velobuild. I wanted to know the status of my order and the estimated time to shipping, no response. I also wanted for them to confirm the options I picked, so there would be no mistakes: no response. One of the two emails I got from them was just one word: "ok".

It's really bugging me, to the point of making me rethink the whole thing.

gilj

« Reply #1297 on: August 24, 2022, 07:33:07 AM »
In my experience you have to be very clear with what you need an answer to, and be very proactive in the communication. Once shipped I got my order quite quickly: it was delivered in 9 days from Hong Kong to London. I went with XDB shipping and had a tracking code, all in all a good shipping experience.

As for my situation with the fork, Chris has forwarded the pictures I already shared here, as well as a short video I had of the fork to the engineers. I hope it can get resolved that way. Best case scenario they would send me a new fork, I can return the one in my posesssion if they would like that.

vTuga

« Reply #1299 on: August 24, 2022, 08:48:38 AM »
In my experience you have to be very clear with what you need an answer to, and be very proactive in the communication. Once shipped I got my order quite quickly: it was delivered in 9 days from Hong Kong to London. I went with XDB shipping and had a tracking code, all in all a good shipping experience.

As for my situation with the fork, Chris has forwarded the pictures I already shared here, as well as a short video I had of the fork to the engineers. I hope it can get resolved that way. Best case scenario they would send me a new fork, I can return the one in my posesssion if they would like that.

How long did it take for them to ship the order?

gilj

« Reply #1300 on: August 24, 2022, 09:20:11 AM »
How long did it take for them to ship the order?

I payed on July 29th, and it got shipped August 8 th.

voshond

« Reply #1301 on: August 24, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »
Finish the build today, cannot ride it yet tho, Wax has to dry as well as the retaining compound of the BB.
Not so sure why it's so heavy, it's 8095g for everything, including pedals.

I had my fair share of issues:
  • Headset is absolute trash, you can still see the bearings underneath what they call a "seal". Give this 1 ride in the rain and you will grind this down. I will replace those.
  • The SL7 Compression Ring is not compatible for me. My fork had a seam on one side that made everything super stiff, i took the sandpaper out to remove the seam, but the ring was still too tight.
  • The Small Chainring on the crank was rubbing against the frame. I had to get a shim to put it on the crankshaft of the drive side to give it some space. Scuffed the paint a bit..
  • the SL7 Di2 Battery Grommet works. Specially at the bottom. I bought 2, so i would make sure the battery won't dangle with the top in the seat tube. Had to cut one down with a scissor so it would fit.
  • Don't know if i can fix it yet, but the saddle isn't centered to the frame and points slightly to the right.. my OCD is triggered. But i haven't messed with the saddle clamp much, maybe there is a way
  • The brake mount surfaces are not machined and need facing. One more trip to the bike shop.
  • There was a small void in the carbon layer of my tube that i was able to see after i cut it down.
  • The SL7 seatpost cover works great

will see how it performs after i can do a few rides on it
Maybe you find my Velobuild VB-R-168 Compedium useful: Link to Google Sheets

vTuga

« Reply #1302 on: August 24, 2022, 06:38:28 PM »
    • The brake mount surfaces are not machined and need facing. One more trip to the bike shop.

What do you mean? Did it affect the installation of the brakes?

voshond

« Reply #1303 on: August 25, 2022, 02:21:55 PM »
    What do you mean? Did it affect the installation of the brakes?
    This will better explain what i'm talking about: Park Tool DT 5.2
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 02:25:07 PM by voshond »
    Maybe you find my Velobuild VB-R-168 Compedium useful: Link to Google Sheets

patliean1

« Reply #1304 on: August 25, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
    I believe what @vTuga is ultimately asking is whether or not the fact the brake mount surfaces aren't faced, actually prevented the brake calipers from being properly aligned.