Author Topic: Groupset News  (Read 49425 times)

NoGrip61

Re: Groupset News - Shimano Cues
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2023, 11:59:17 AM »
I see that this thread has been mostly for Chinese drivetrains, but I hadn't heard of this DT before, and it seems like a nice new modern alternative to Shimano's entry level sets.  I think this is mostly for flat-bar bikes at the moment, but perhaps they'll include drop bar levers soon as well.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shimano-consolidate-entry-to-mid-level-groupsets-with-new-cues-tier.html

The pricing seems very reasonable for a 1x11 system:
Quote from: PB
The highest tier groupset, the U8000 is priced at under $290 USD for a shifter, chain, cassette, and rear derailleur. With a crankset, chainring and BB it will increase the price to $451

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/shimano-cues?fbclid=IwAR2brtb7O5Rl9BW4FEkOpcMuSfwRg6jcAS89Y98nN2r7C4u0mfONIs4UfX8

TidyDinosaur

Re: Groupset News
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2023, 12:03:20 PM »
Looks really nice I must say.

00Garza

Re: Groupset News - Shimano Cues
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2023, 02:01:26 PM »
I see that this thread has been mostly for Chinese drivetrains, but I hadn't heard of this DT before, and it seems like a nice new modern alternative to Shimano's entry level sets.  I think this is mostly for flat-bar bikes at the moment, but perhaps they'll include drop bar levers soon as well.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shimano-consolidate-entry-to-mid-level-groupsets-with-new-cues-tier.html

The pricing seems very reasonable for a 1x11 system:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/shimano-cues?fbclid=IwAR2brtb7O5Rl9BW4FEkOpcMuSfwRg6jcAS89Y98nN2r7C4u0mfONIs4UfX8

Its not an alternative to shimano. It IS Shimano. This is replacing Acera/Altus/Tourney.

It does look nice for the quoted prices. Now if only they made drop bar shifters for them...

1Sigma

« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »
Wheel Top is wireless and L-TWOO should be semi-wireless with a seatpost battery ala Shimano

nothing concrete yet on pricing, weight and release date

It's been a minute since I've been on the forum, and this is exactly the news I was hoping to see
Better than average - Extra Average

StiffWeenies

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2023, 01:26:31 AM »
expect L-TWOO eRX to be launched fairly soon

Projected pricing is 4500RMB for the levers, callipers and derailleurs. Wheel Top EDS TX should cost considerably less, quoted to start at the high 2xxx range for Rim brake and low 3xxx range for Disc brake in standard weight guises. Wheel Top is also expected to offer higher end 'ultra light' versions of their groupset to compete with eRX.

pre-production pics

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:45:24 AM by StiffWeenies »

mirphak

« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2023, 05:15:46 AM »
So likely ~800-900 EUR. I am afraid I would rather go to shimano 105 di2...

RDY

« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2023, 05:57:34 AM »
It should get cheaper once they start being mass produced.  Either way, it's sorely needed competition.

Campag should reveal some outrageous wheel and gruppo pricing by the looks of it this week.

kbike

« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2023, 08:41:59 AM »
Direct mount hanger is a option for the rd. Using the narrow wide pulley from their grt.  I can't figure out where a power cable goes for either derailleur.  How do you charge the battery(s) what kind of battery. Will it be type c or some special port? Is the paddle 2 button? one raised with texture and other large and smooth.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2023, 12:43:42 PM »
Looks pretty sweet. But I have to agree, at that price I’m passing. I do hope the price will come down, it would be cool to have a cheap option.

jonathanf2

« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2023, 06:25:54 PM »
Since it's electronic, is it possible to program the shifters to operate either as 12 or 11 speed? I'd be happy to stick to 11 speed if possible.

theirishrider

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2023, 07:43:14 AM »
That looks extremely nice and slick.

jonathanf2

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »
I saw China Cycling's YT short and also noticed it on the pictures here. It looks like this ERX derailleur uses some sort of derailleur hanger similar to Shimano's shadow design. Does that mean this hanger will be used for both gravel & road with a fairly big cassette clearance?

https://youtube.com/shorts/a3Cz4LLMIms?feature=share

ChrisB

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »
And after Tracevelo also Francis Cade managed to break the lever on the first outing...
Something wrong with the material for sure!

BR Chris

StiffWeenies

« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »
The official press conference wrapped up yesterday and media first impressions are trickling in

Weights
Left & right levers
L-TWOO quoted weight: 225g (each)
Biketo measured weight: 445.1g
雪大爷单车 measured weight: 223.1g (left), 222g (right)

FD
L-TWOO quoted weight: 150g
Biketo measured weight: 139.3g
雪大爷单车 measured weight: 139.1g

RD
L-TWOO quoted weight: 270g
Biketo measured weight: 275.6g
雪大爷单车 measured weight: 275.7g

Seatpost battery & cables
L-TWOO quoted weight: 62g (battery only)
Biketo measured weight: 85.1g
雪大爷单车 measured weight: 85.2g

Pricing
Big surprise is that there is a 3500RMB eR9 Alloy to sit below the 4500RMB eRX Carbon. Disregard their mechanical naming convention because both are 12s.

It's unclear how much heavier eR9 will be.

Testimonials
I'll briefly summarise this vlog from a LBS proprietor who was invited to the launch:
  • He mentions that the derailleurs are not the only determinant of shifting quality. The supplied chainring, chain and cassette on the Java test bikes are not the best so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison with the established brands
  • FD sucks. He says that it feels like 'last gen SRAM' (not sure if he's referring to RED eTap A1 11s or Force AXS D1 here) where shifting under load especially uphill is difficult
  • RD is fine and shifts like 'last gen Shimano' (R8070?) but has chain slap issues (not enough tension?)
  • Lever buttons feel like a mouse click and aren't nearly tactile enough. Very mushy like SRAM pre-Rival/Force AXS D2.
  • Due to how the inner shift button is half embedded into the leading edge of the brake lever, riding over bumps and uneven surfaces results in frequent accidental shifts
  • You can see Joe Whittingham from China Cycling at 2:55 so you can look forward to his first impressions video
  • He shifts up and down the entire cassette range at 3:45 and 4:05
  • He says that the braking feels improved from the mechanical RX hydraulic he tried before

Function
I was mistaken by the shifting logic. As opposed to being SRAM style with a single button on either side, it's actually Shimano style with 2 buttons on each lever but laid out the other way around. Shifting layouts and derailleur adjustments are configurable in-app.
Left lever: Inner textured button shifts to big ring, outer smooth button shifts to small ring
Right lever: Inner textured button shifts to a smaller cog, outer smooth button shifts to a larger cog

Direct mount hanger is a option for the rd. I can't figure out where a power cable goes for either derailleur. How do you charge the battery(s) what kind of battery.
We actually don't know if it's DM hanger capable until someone tries installing it. The callipers for example appeared to be PM at first but they're actually their own proprietary thing with different dimensions to work around patents.

The levers are semi-wireless and powered by CR2032 batteries while the FD and RD are powered by an 800mAh seatpost battery (for reference, BT-DN300 is 500mAh, EPS V3 is 720mAh and K-Force WE is 1100mAh). Charging is handled by a magnetic connector at the backside of the RD facing NDS.

Does that mean this hanger will be used for both gravel & road with a fairly big cassette clearance?
RD max capacity is still rated at 32T as opposed to the industry standard 34T. I'm sure that while an 11-34T cassette could fit, a 36T like CS-HG710-12 certainly wouldn't.

Personal thoughts
Even though they are the best 'put together' of the 3 upstart groupset manufacturers, it is still painfully obvious that this is a small operation prone to amateur mistakes. For example, L-TWOO's press conference presentation deck and website marketing material for this launch was riddled with typos and inaccuracies. They incorrectly spelled the word for brifter, the battery capacity was wrongly labelled at 850mAh and the eR9 was originally listed as 11s leading some to believe that 12s function would be software locked for eRX only.

And if you thought that getting your hands on a groupset abroad is difficult, local distribution isn't much better. For instance, they decided to setup a new WeChat account to handle all eRX direct pre-sales (unbelievably inane imo) which would quickly be disabled for overactivity because they used a personal account as opposed to an enterprise account. Lastly, they decided to respond to people who felt that the 4500RMB pricetag was too steep by joking that it was a more of a 'you' problem (1:55) [EDIT: now cut from the video...I guess they aren't that tone deaf] so don't expect price cuts any time soon. However, Chinese Shimano resellers have already responded by slashing the price of R7170 'small kits' so we may well see a price war unfold in the future.

Misc
L-TWOO has also started supplying Hydraulic R7 Alloy 10s to OEMs

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 02:11:28 PM by StiffWeenies »

jonathanf2

« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2023, 11:43:58 AM »
Thanks for the info @StiffWeenies! Reading the comments in the media press release, it seems even the domestic cycling community want cheaper groupsets, but not necessarily cheaper quality. It's good to see a domestic push to improve as well while being price competitive.