Author Topic: Groupset News  (Read 49426 times)

sbellote

Re: Groupset News
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2023, 08:09:45 AM »
Didn't Ltwoo already have auto-trimming but had to disable it in an update because of patents?
yes, from the last Trace Velo video, on LTwoo ERX, he mentions the first few versions had the auto-trim, but the newest ones had it removed
I suppose when the patent expires they can just add it back by firmware update

kbernstein

« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2023, 12:51:18 AM »
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/microshift-sword/

Fresh release and from the pictures it looks excellent to me. The levers look very comfortable (rubber aside) and they truly understand gear ratios. 11-38 / 11-48 with 48-31 / 46-29 chainrings. Aesthetically this is my favorite groupset yet I think.
Can't wait for reviews especially for the chainrings, if they're light enough I would consider swapping my GRX 800 crankset. Wish they would do higher end stuff if they can make groupsets that good on paper

StiffWeenies

« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2023, 01:04:49 AM »
TRP's Hywire brifters meant for Pinion were shown at Eurobike and look the absolute business. Surely they'd make a proper road/gravel groupset too?

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/microshift-sword/
Now that's a welcome development. I thought that Microshift as a company was simply coasting on previous successes like the Advent X which was really just a hodgepodge reworking of their older products. Hopefully those Sword brifters get repurposed for road 2x11/12 in the future.

EDIT: I also noticed that the Sword 10s RD shares pull ratios with Advent X 10s and by extension, Advent 9s. Sword brifters paired with this super short cage Advent 9s RD could be an interesting combo.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 01:37:05 AM by StiffWeenies »

kbernstein

« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2023, 01:20:04 AM »
TRP's Hywire brifters meant for Pinion were shown at Eurobike and look the absolute business. Surely they'd make a proper road/gravel groupset too?

Now that's a welcome development. I thought that Microshift as a company was simply coasting on previous successes like the Advent X which was really just a hodgepodge reworking of their older products. Hopefully those Sword brifters get repurposed for road 2x11/12 in the future.

I can't tell what they are at all. Hydraulic and electronic paddles?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2023, 01:44:27 AM »
I can't tell what they are at all. Hydraulic and electronic paddles?

Hydraulic braking, electronic shifting!

Even if they don't make their own groupset, I'd still appreciate a proper 3rd party brifter with satellite shifting function.

raisinberry777

« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2023, 04:16:12 AM »
Trace Velo's first impressions of Sensah hydraulic are very good:

https://youtube.com/shorts/g7pjQhc-iRI?feature=share

StiffWeenies

« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2023, 10:34:09 AM »
eRX pricing is getting slashed in China, at least unofficially

I'm now seeing listings in the sub-3.9K RMB range, down from 4.5K retail

XDS will soon come out with the AD500, an eR9 equipped complete bike priced at 7K all-in. The bike itself is pretty garbage (frame, QR fork, integrated cockpit & aero seatpost are all made of alloy...) and the build is just a dressed up AD350 (R7 Hydraulic) but with the eR9 retailing at 3.5K, it really makes you wonder about their margins...

jonathanf2

« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2023, 01:00:28 PM »
eRX pricing is getting slashed in China, at least unofficially

I'm now seeing listings in the sub-3.9K RMB range, down from 4.5K retail

XDS will soon come out with the AD500, an eR9 equipped complete bike priced at 7K all-in. The bike itself is pretty garbage (frame, QR fork, integrated cockpit & aero seatpost are all made of alloy...) and the build is just a dressed up AD350 (R7 Hydraulic) but with the eR9 retailing at 3.5K, it really makes you wonder about their margins...

It seems western YT'ers seem more excited about the ERX than they do in China, but the initial reviews are looking positive it seems. Also any word when the 1x ER9 shifters/RD will be available?

RDY

« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2023, 03:05:35 PM »
Hydraulic braking, electronic shifting!

Even if they don't make their own groupset, I'd still appreciate a proper 3rd party brifter with satellite shifting function.

Didn't TRP already try, partnering with someone, only for the project to get stuck in development hell and then they fell out and parted ways.

It's amazing that TRP haven't done it yet, frankly ... hopefully soon.  Their new mechanical MTB gruppo looks great.

00Garza

« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2023, 11:07:47 PM »
Luke first on the scene as usual.

jonathanf2

« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2023, 12:26:39 AM »
Luke first on the scene as usual.

After watching his video with all these pre-production issues and the ugly silver lever caps, I'm seriously not interested. I'm someone who likes Sensah style shifting as well.

RDY

« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2023, 11:26:05 AM »
I'm not sure about their IceTech on a budget rotors ... Shimano's were bad enough until the latest gen released last year (CLT900 are great).

StiffWeenies

« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2023, 12:23:15 PM »
It seems western YT'ers seem more excited about the ERX than they do in China, but the initial reviews are looking positive it seems. Also any word when the 1x ER9 shifters/RD will be available?

105 Di2 has been discounted to the point that it's a no brainer for the price conscious while guys with money won't dabble in anything less than what they already have.

The consensus is that while shifting accuracy is spot on, manufacturing accuracy still needs work. Some complaints I've come across include poor quality pulley wheels making noises with chain quick links and unrefined ergonomics (they just crudely made the hoods as small as they could without paying attention to shaping).

kbernstein

« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2023, 12:51:13 PM »
At an equal price point I'm leaning towards LTWOO more and more. It is the more consumer friendly choice on many aspects with the ability to change speeds, trimming individual cogs meaning whatever cassette you fancy, no petty locking features on a competitor's head unit, etc. The only negatives I've read are quality control and some minor software issues that can be fixed overnight I'm hopeful it can beat shimano in a not so distant future

jonathanf2

« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2023, 08:41:16 PM »
105 Di2 has been discounted to the point that it's a no brainer for the price conscious while guys with money won't dabble in anything less than what they already have.

The consensus is that while shifting accuracy is spot on, manufacturing accuracy still needs work. Some complaints I've come across include poor quality pulley wheels making noises with chain quick links and unrefined ergonomics (they just crudely made the hoods as small as they could without paying attention to shaping).

Any reason why the LTwoo hoods are so tight? Once LTwoo went hydraulic, the shifter hoods are near impossible to remove.