Author Topic: Epic Evo Clone  (Read 41682 times)

Technic

Re: Epic Evo Clone
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2023, 12:28:24 AM »
What I've been totally wasting my time on.

Do I know what I'm doing? Absolutely not
Am I having fun? Hell yeah

Interestingly, the chainstay length is about 438ish like this.
@wwwru, how are you measuring the chainstay length? I'm doing it with the shock totally uncompressed (Which is how I though the chainstay was suppose to be measured from manufacturers)

What length of shock did you have?  That link is from the Evo but there is also the normal link.

wwwru

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2023, 08:01:21 PM »
@wwwru, how are you measuring the chainstay length?

I measured it with the flex stays in the relaxed position, which with the supplied linkage ended up being uncompressed 190mm long shock.

Is that the prototype 3D printed linkage?

The other unknown about this frame is the relaxed position of the flex stays. On the Canyon Lux for example, flex stays are in the relaxed position at sag....approximately. On this frame, with the supplied linkage, flex stays are relaxed at full extension. It makes sense for them to be relaxed at sag, but I can't really confirm that since I only have one bike model to compare it to and there is not much info on the internet.

plloppii

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2023, 09:14:31 PM »
What length of shock did you have?  That link is from the Evo but there is also the normal link.

I have a 190x45 shock. Its not the link from an evo, I actually 3D Printed it.

I measured it with the flex stays in the relaxed position, which with the supplied linkage ended up being uncompressed 190mm long shock.

Is that the prototype 3D printed linkage?

The other unknown about this frame is the relaxed position of the flex stays. On the Canyon Lux for example, flex stays are in the relaxed position at sag....approximately. On this frame, with the supplied linkage, flex stays are relaxed at full extension. It makes sense for them to be relaxed at sag, but I can't really confirm that since I only have one bike model to compare it to and there is not much info on the internet.

Ah yeah I'm not too sure about that either.

It is the prototype, but I'm afraid that it wont work unless the supplier also redesigns the yoke.
Attached my sketch out on a 3D software, and the epic evo manual.
The yoke needs to be a 2 piece split design similar to how the seat stay is. I'm afraid it'll be extremely unreliable with the way I have sketched it out, exerting a ton of shear stress on the m8 bolt.

:( I'm probably just going to put the other linkage back on and give up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 09:16:41 PM by plloppii »

plloppii

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2023, 09:15:52 PM »
Thing is, I actually measured the rear travel with the new linkage I designed, and I actually measured around 130mm of rear travel. So its definitely possible, but I'm not sure what my linkage has done to the rest of the geometry.
I also heard some disturbing creaks from the rear triangle when moving it to full compression.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2023, 10:03:36 AM »
does anyone have feedback after long term use?

wwwru

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2023, 10:40:02 AM »
does anyone have feedback after long term use?

I ended up returning the frame back to airwolf for a full refund. Definitely want to give them a shout-out for working with me on this.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2023, 12:01:55 AM »
I ended up returning the frame back to airwolf for a full refund. Definitely want to give them a shout-out for working with me on this.

Is the frame really that bad?

wwwru

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2023, 06:03:26 AM »
Not bad at all if you want a 100/100 XC bike. It's a regular epic frame. I wanted more travel.....I wanted the epic evo.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2023, 04:11:10 AM »
Not bad at all if you want a 100/100 XC bike. It's a regular epic frame. I wanted more travel.....I wanted the epic evo.

this bushings or bearings? (marked on the photo)

wwwru

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2023, 06:10:11 AM »

I am 99% sure there were bearings everywhere. I don't remember seeing any bushings, but its been a while. What I do remember 100% is that the linkage arrangement matched that of the regular epic, except some bearing sizes were different. So basically if the real epic has a bearing there, this frame would have one there as well.

Kactusdog

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2023, 11:45:04 AM »
Thing is, I actually measured the rear travel with the new linkage I designed, and I actually measured around 130mm of rear travel. So its definitely possible, but I'm not sure what my linkage has done to the rest of the geometry.
I also heard some disturbing creaks from the rear triangle when moving it to full compression.

Wow, I appreciate you guys spearheading this. I am now looking at the same AWST “Epic Evo”. It certainly is an attractive package. What’s the max travel I could get on the rear? What shock dims? In other words, is there a path here with the AWST "Evo" frame to get 100 mm of travel minimum? I'd be happy with that. I'm not trying to snap the rear lol.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:47:56 PM by Kactusdog »

Kactusdog

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2023, 02:48:57 PM »

Looks like you're onboard too!

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2023, 12:12:09 AM »
Looks like you're onboard too!

you must first figure out what it is made of) while I’m just studying, in fact there is no technical information, the sellers on Ali also don’t know anything or don’t want to tell ...

Kactusdog

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2023, 12:51:10 PM »
you must first figure out what it is made of) while I’m just studying, in fact there is no technical information, the sellers on Ali also don’t know anything or don’t want to tell ...

It's a good point, but the listing on the seller's site definitely has some reviews and good experiences on it. I asked AWST through whatsapp, he says with a 190x45 shock you get about 100mm of travel. That is decent enough for me. But I agree, there's a lack of clarity on info. The geo chart is even for the older Epic w/ brain. Sigh...

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2023, 02:52:18 AM »
looks like the frame is still in the process of being improved...