Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

Ideal way to replace cables/hoses on full ICR frame?

(1/3) > >>

coffeebreak:
I landed on Ultegra R8020 hydraulic group and now I am itching to replace my mechanical brake groupset on VB GF-002. Only thing that is stopping me? The internal cable routing. My current mechanical setup is perfect. Brake pull is smooth, gear shifts are swift and cables are all new too. If I pull out this stuff I am afraid I will disturb the harmony that the bike is in. Horrors of ICR are real.

What would be the ideal way to replace mechanical cable outers with hydraulic hoses on such frames? Dismantling everything and starting from scratch is one obvious option sure but is there anything else that can be tried? Like passing an inner cable from existing cable outer and pulling the hose with it from other end :S anything else?

jonathanf2:
What I usually do when wanting to replace cabling is to run inner plastic cable housing following the path of your current ICR lines. That way you'll have a path to follow for the shift cables. The hydraulic hoses might pose an issue, so I'd start with the rear first, since the fork should be easier. My last hydraulic installation had spacious cable routing so it wasn't a big problem.

Even then, you'll probably hit a few snags that will require a barrage of profanities! Some frames are easier than others and I'm planning to do a similar conversion next week as well.

s3si1u:
Running cables through the bars?
Tbh just take it apart and start all over. It'll be much easier than the first time.  :)

coffeebreak:
Thru the bars, stem, fork, frame
.. the works! Biggest circus was tying together bar and stem during installation. It appears there's no easy way out. My frame doesn't have internal cable guides either it's anarchy inside where and how the cables go. If I take out everything that means working the front derailleur routing which is quite frankly really badly designed. I had to wriggle with it quite some time on its own :/

coffeebreak:
Guys, silly question probably but what do you do with these cable sleeves/guides for internal routing? I got pretty long sleeves. Cut them? Remove them entirely or what? The cable port under BB shell has a removable cover so the cables are well protected anyway from any dirt getting kicked up from the road. What other purpose these sleeves serve?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version