Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

Perfect Shift/Brake Lever Alignment and Symmetry

(1/3) > >>

Sebastian:
Hi everyone,

serious question:
How is everyone adjusting and setting up their brake/shift levers on their handlebars?
If you're about as OCD as me when it comes to setting them up perfectly symmetrical, then perhaps you understand my struggle.  ;D

I'm usually trying to set them up by eye and then I'm using a spirit level to make sure they're both the same height. What I'm struggling with for instance is how to set the inward tilt up exactly symmetrical. I'm not running my shifters set up straight but slightly pointing inwards. Not nearly as extreme as some examples you see, but still. But I'm never quite sure they're set up the same. I tried a tape measure but I don't really think it's of much use there.

There is a specific jig-like tool for this that the youtuber "Rides of Japan" did a video about. But honestly, I can't be bothered to pay 100 EUR/USD for a tool like that. Any cheaper alternatives that I'm missing?

s3si1u:
I just eyeball it and tighten. Then I sit on the bike and assume the position to see how the shifters feel, adjust them once more, and tighten to spec. That's about it, really. :D
I occasionally adjust them after a few rides if necessary, but I've never worried about it too much.

svanimpe:
I just use a flexible tape measure to measure from the bottom of the clamp to the tip of the drops. Isn't that what most people do?

jannmayer:

--- Quote from: s3si1u on June 26, 2023, 12:32:41 PM ---I just eyeball it and tighten. Then I sit on the bike and assume the position to see how the shifters feel, adjust them once more, and tighten to spec. That's about it, really. :D
I occasionally adjust them after a few rides if necessary, but I've never worried about it too much.

--- End quote ---

This is my approach as well. After an adjustment or two they appear perfectly aligned to me. If I can't see or feel any difference, it's good enough!

My cheap computer mount holds the computer at a slight angle and that bugs me almost enough to do something about it.   :D

00Garza:
It helps if you buy bars that have the measuring lines on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version