Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

What lube?

(1/6) > >>

coffeebreak:
I am curious what lubricants community here is using on their bikes? I started with T9 Boeshield, kept at it for a long time. Then switched to Squirt wax lube and finally to Rock'n'Roll gold type for past few months and quite happy with it. Squirt was good but I found out that it flakes out pretty quickly and doesn't last as long as they say especially if you ride on dusty trails. RnR has been good from that aspect. Anything else that you had good luck with?

kbernstein:
I'm using some wax based zefal lube which was the first I've bought. I wonder how it compares to the real wax. I'll admit I don't take care of my drivetrain much and I keep procrastinating using real wax. Maybe next chain (tm)

Serge_K:
Been waxing my chains for years, it's awesome. So clean! It's meant to save a few watts too. Followed the videos from that autistic Australian guy.
Have i mentioned how clean they make the bike?
:D

I use a metal bowl over boiling water (bain marie in french), instead of a rice cooker. As far as i can tell, it does the same thing.

coffeebreak:

--- Quote from: Serge_K on June 28, 2023, 11:00:46 AM ---Been waxing my chains for years, it's awesome. So clean! It's meant to save a few watts too. Followed the videos from that autistic Australian guy.
Have i mentioned how clean they make the bike?
:D

I use a metal bowl over boiling water (bain marie in french), instead of a rice cooker. As far as i can tell, it does the same thing.

--- End quote ---

I have always wondered about this process and then procrastinated like kbernstein above lol. Is there a process to remove factory lube from chain before boiling it in wax soup? And do you replace quick-link every time you wax the chain?

s3si1u:
Currently on Silca Synergetic oil. No complaints so far, but nothing to write home about either. I'm not super picky about lube or meticulous about a spotless drivetrain, so this oil is good enough for me. It doesn't need to be reapplied too often.

FWIW before this I was using the RnR Holy Cow and I didn't care for it. Also gave White Lightningn a shot some time ago and noped that stuff right off my chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version