Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

What lube?

<< < (3/6) > >>

jannmayer:

--- Quote from: coffeebreak on June 28, 2023, 08:10:09 PM ---Personally, I didn't have good experience with White Lightning. RnR gold is good for road. I think RnR blue is a MTB specific, heavier duty lube.

--- End quote ---

I know White Lightning gets a bad wrap since the Epic formulation does very poorly in the friction and wear tests, but it works well for me for keeping a drivetrain quiet with a minimum of work. I'm only using it on the other family bikes that will never see enough miles to wear out a chain.

jannmayer:
On a related note, what do people recommend for removing the factory grease? I'm interested in finding the least nasty stuff that will do the job.

eeney:
I sonic clean and wax.  Before waxing I used Smoove for a long time quite happily.

First step was when I bought a heated sonic cleaner from Aliexpress, so sonic clean then Smoove.

Then I bought some wax and a $10 mini slow cooker/crockpot.... never looked back.

10 minutes in the sonic cleaner, a dip in the wax and the chains dry amazingly.  The effort involved is less than a standard chain clean and lube, but you do need more waiting time, eg. 30-60 mins for the wax to melt, then 10+ hours to leave it to fully cool & dry (it could be less, I just leave it all day or overnight). But the results are brilliant, I have 3 bikes all with waxed chains, and the one bag of wax I bought looks like it'll last ages.

AzureEssence:

--- Quote from: coffeebreak on June 28, 2023, 10:20:32 AM ---I am curious what lubricants community here is using on their bikes? I started with T9 Boeshield, kept at it for a long time. Then switched to Squirt wax lube and finally to Rock'n'Roll gold type for past few months and quite happy with it. Squirt was good but I found out that it flakes out pretty quickly and doesn't last as long as they say especially if you ride on dusty trails. RnR has been good from that aspect. Anything else that you had good luck with?

--- End quote ---

Sounds like you're already using 3 of the very best wax-based lubes. T9 was magical on my latest bikepacking build, but I just used the regular spray can after spraying my steel frame. I need to get the squirt bottle.

Currently I'm using Rock n Roll Gold as well, also great stuff.

nickobec:
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/ is the rabbit hole of looking after your drive train (ignore those other Australians, they are not nice people).

Guides on how to remove factory grease, how to immersive wax etc and well as test details on most the major chain lubes both oil and waxed based.

Personally I immersive wax, as it is cheaper in the long run (chain, cassette and chain rings last a lot and I mean a lot longer), quieter and cleaner too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version