Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

What lube?

<< < (5/6) > >>

PLA:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on November 03, 2023, 01:02:07 AM ---What chemical, if any, do you use to clean new chains ?

--- End quote ---

prob overkill but this works for me:

petrol bath
few baths of turps
couple of baths in metho
round in the ultrasonic cleaner
quick small metho bath just to check the condition of the metho to make sure it's completely clean/oil free/grease free
into the oven to dry
throw it onto a bent coat hanger, give a light dusting of ptfe in a bag and dump it into the wax pot

Ludo:
That’s an involved process!

jonathanf2:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on November 03, 2023, 01:02:07 AM ---What chemical, if any, do you use to clean new chains ?

--- End quote ---

Not as intensive as PLA, but about two rounds of degreaser in the ultrasonic cleaner, a brush scrub down and dry pat down before dipping the chain into the slow cooker. My wife thinks I'm cooking something outside in the backyard! Lol

Ar26:
I put several chains in an immersive bath (Silca wax) then I top up after about 300 km with Silca's secret luber drip. Preparing several is a good strategy. After two or three uses of the drip, I do a reset, that is to say chain in a jar filled with White spirit (petroleum essence) then immersive bath with double pot technique (see Zerocyclingfriction). In summary, I clean my chain correctly without having to take 15 days of vacation to do it.

eddietheengineer:
I followed Zero Friction's guide:

I didn't want to deal with multiple baths of mineral spirits, so I got some CeramicSpeed UFO drivetrain cleaner ($28 for 500mL) and stripped 3 factory chains pretty quickly with ~100mL. I expect to be able to continue to use this 500mL for quite some time (50 factory chain cleanings?)

For waxing, I happened to have a mini crock pot lying around I'd never used before that is now dedicated to waxing chains. I used Silica Secret Hot Melt from Amazon that I got for $34. I put about half of the bag in the pot, it's a small enough pot that it's almost difficult to fit the chain in but it's not too bad. I left the solid wax in the pot to heat up for next time.

I have my mountain bike and road bike chains brand new waxed now, we'll see how they hold up. I plan on wiping off the outer part of the chain and then "dunking" them in the wax pot every 300 miles or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version