Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

What lube?

<< < (2/6) > >>

jannmayer:
I've been using Squirt for a while on my road, mountain, and gravel bikes and am happy with it. If you leave the bottle in the sun for a while it seems to flow a bit better onto the chain.

I use White Lightning Epic Ride (the dry stuff) for the low-mileage bikes because it's cheap and seems to work well even when applied on a somewhat greasy chain.

I tried Rock 'n Roll Gold and it was OK on my road bike, but my mountain chain got really noisy after about 15 miles.

kbernstein:

--- Quote from: coffeebreak on June 28, 2023, 11:34:04 AM ---I have always wondered about this process and then procrastinated like kbernstein above lol. Is there a process to remove factory lube from chain before boiling it in wax soup? And do you replace quick-link every time you wax the chain?

--- End quote ---
You should always remove the factory grease on a new chain. I typically let the chain in a jar of mineral turpentine/white spirit for ~36 hours, shaking it every couple of hours and it works perfectly. I believe I have also learned this trick from the "autistic australian guy" video on home wax, except I was too lazy to do the next step of melting wax

jefflinde:
I was using squirt but have switched to smoove.  Smoove seems to leave much less wax residue on the derailleur and chain ring.  I don't ride in the wet much so no experience in that aspect but lots of dusty conditions and I am very happy with the performance of smoove.

carbonazza:
I use wax too, for years now + the "australian's" additives 8)

Then when travelling I tried: squirt, then smoove, and now UFO Drip.
Each step was an upgrade.

And I always reuse the same quick link(Eagle link on Eagle and Campagnolo chains, and SRAM road)

coffeebreak:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on June 28, 2023, 02:48:15 PM ---I use wax too, for years now + the "australian's" additives 8)

Then when travelling I tried: squirt, then smoove, and now UFO Drip.
Each step was an upgrade.

And I always reuse the same quick link(Eagle link on Eagle and Campagnolo chains, and SRAM road)

--- End quote ---
Have heard good words about UFO Drip, but never heard about Smoove until this thread where its mentioned twice! I will note it. Many thanks!

--- Quote from: jefflinde on June 28, 2023, 12:59:21 PM ---I was using squirt but have switched to smoove.  Smoove seems to leave much less wax residue on the derailleur and chain ring.  I don't ride in the wet much so no experience in that aspect but lots of dusty conditions and I am very happy with the performance of smoove.

--- End quote ---
Good to know. I will try Smoove once I am out RnR gold.

--- Quote from: jannmayer on June 28, 2023, 12:28:06 PM ---I've been using Squirt for a while on my road, mountain, and gravel bikes and am happy with it. If you leave the bottle in the sun for a while it seems to flow a bit better onto the chain.
I use White Lightning Epic Ride (the dry stuff) for the low-mileage bikes because it's cheap and seems to work well even when applied on a somewhat greasy chain.
I tried Rock 'n Roll Gold and it was OK on my road bike, but my mountain chain got really noisy after about 15 miles.

--- End quote ---
Personally, I didn't have good experience with White Lightning. RnR gold is good for road. I think RnR blue is a MTB specific, heavier duty lube.

--- Quote from: s3si1u on June 28, 2023, 11:39:51 AM ---Currently on Silca Synergetic oil. No complaints so far, but nothing to write home about either. I'm not super picky about lube or meticulous about a spotless drivetrain, so this oil is good enough for me. It doesn't need to be reapplied too often.

FWIW before this I was using the RnR Holy Cow and I didn't care for it. Also gave White Lightningn a shot some time ago and noped that stuff right off my chain.

--- End quote ---
RnR gold has been good for me. Wasn't aware of Holy Cow though. And same for White Lightning, didn't work for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version