Author Topic: Stem with an open bottom?  (Read 915 times)

gmh

Stem with an open bottom?
« on: September 23, 2023, 02:07:49 PM »
I'm trying to find a stem similar to the new Giant SLR Aero stem that has, what is essentially, an open bottom, but for the life of me I can find anything more reasonably priced (they want $300?!).  The channel is used to route internal cables while still making the bike easy to adjust.  My hope is that I can find a stem with a similar channel so I can install some Formula Speedlock hoses to have a travel bike that still has an integrated front end.

Does anyone know of a stem with a similar feature?

Sebastian

Re: Stem with an open bottom?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 03:29:01 PM »
Not exactly like the one you mentioned but similar:

https://www.yishunbike.com/product/st062/

Sakizashi

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 06:43:32 PM »
The only stems that I know of that both have an opening and a recess are the Cannondale C1 Conceal stems and the 3T More ICR stem.

I am not sure you can use the Cannondale stem on a round steerer and the 3T one is really expensive. An alternative is to get something like the FSA SMR stem and make a custom cable tray large enough to hold disconnects.

This is something I am still working on, but its not on a bike so I havent tested it yet. Waiting on a new build to try it out. I also may try making a variation of this for the Control Tech Siroco Carbon Drop Stem if I can find one.

Definitely not a print at home kind of part and it would only work with electronic drive trains as no mechanical cable i know of could make that bend and still work well. With a single piece design I could probably lower the stack another 5-7mm

You can see more here: https://imgur.com/a/lTlaQVw

Edit: removed the embedded images as they were huge.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 07:26:49 PM by Sakizashi »

gmh

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 06:53:53 AM »
I hadn't come across the Control Tech stems.  From what I can tell (the pictures I'm seeing aren't super thorough), it looks like it might work.  I'll probably need to make an adapter to ACR spacers though.

That's an interesting idea with the SMR stem.  I didn't realize you would route hoses internally out the center of handlebar with that one.  I thought it was only externally through the sides.  What are those connectors you're trying to fit?

My other thought was getting the handlebar that Airwolf uses for their YFR068 frameset and putting the Speedlocks in the channels that run under the tops. 

Sakizashi

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
These are Zeno couplers. Unlike the Formula couplers you can put them anywhere along the lines.

I prefer them, but DM me if you want a set of the Formula ones, I have a set I have been meaning to to stick on ebay for a while.

If all you are looking for is a stem that has a routing hole at the bottom, the Pro Superlight might be another option, but I feel like the couplers under that stem wouldnt be very good looking.

wousera

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 03:12:27 AM »
The pro vibe superlight stem doesn't have the same channel as the giant stem, but it does have the option to run two brake hose out right behind the handlebars (green hoses in the picture).

so if you really want to hide them afterwards you could make a 3d print to cover it up or even a little carbon plate. it's a small hole though so I think it'll only fit 2 brake hoses nothing more.

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/be-nl/road/stems/vibe-superlight-stem-1-1-8

gmh

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 12:54:26 PM »
These are Zeno couplers. Unlike the Formula couplers you can put them anywhere along the lines.

I prefer them, but DM me if you want a set of the Formula ones, I have a set I have been meaning to to stick on ebay for a while.

If all you are looking for is a stem that has a routing hole at the bottom, the Pro Superlight might be another option, but I feel like the couplers under that stem wouldnt be very good looking.

Yea the aesthetics are the sticking point for me here.  I'm looking for something that will give easy access to the couplers, but still look good and be relatively inexpensive.

I am curious about those Zeno couplers.  Is that a particular reason you're going with those instead of the Formulas?  Are they small and/or shorter?

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »
I'm just curious, is your frame fully integrated or is it semi-integrated and you just want to clean up the cables before they exit out from the stem?

I'd just opt for an integrated stem+bar that already have built in cable routing. That would probably cost a lot less than some of these boutique stem options. It seems these stems with hidden cabling weigh as much, if not more than a standard stem.

I personally like exposed cables, it looks more industrial!  ;D

Sakizashi

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 02:16:11 PM »
Yea the aesthetics are the sticking point for me here.  I'm looking for something that will give easy access to the couplers, but still look good and be relatively inexpensive.

I am curious about those Zeno couplers.  Is that a particular reason you're going with those instead of the Formulas?  Are they small and/or shorter?

Pros of the Zeno System vs. Formula:
- Assembled they are nearly 10mm shorter 2mm smaller in diameter.
- They can be placed anywhere on the line.
- They do not require special cables.
- You can reinstall them a couple of times in the case you kink a hose or something goes wrong with the install.

Cons:
- The downside is that the male end of the hose is larger and requires a 10mm hole to pass them through.

That "con" is not an issue with the FSA SMR stem and I designed my own headset top caps so I could pull them through to drop the fork.

gmh

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 08:57:28 PM »
I'm just curious, is your frame fully integrated or is it semi-integrated and you just want to clean up the cables before they exit out from the stem?

I'd just opt for an integrated stem+bar that already have built in cable routing. That would probably cost a lot less than some of these boutique stem options. It seems these stems with hidden cabling weigh as much, if not more than a standard stem.

I personally like exposed cables, it looks more industrial!  ;D

The frame is fully integrated, but I want access to the hoses for the hydraulic brakes so I can pack the bike down for travel in a Orucase Ninja bike bag (you need to be able to take the fork off).  I'm planning to uses hydraulic quick disconnects similar to the ones Sakizashi posted and while I can make an FSA SMR stem work, imo, it's not the most elegant solution.

Pros of the Zeno System vs. Formula:
- Assembled they are nearly 10mm shorter 2mm smaller in diameter.
- They can be placed anywhere on the line.
- They do not require special cables.
- You can reinstall them a couple of times in the case you kink a hose or something goes wrong with the install.

Cons:
- The downside is that the male end of the hose is larger and requires a 10mm hole to pass them through.

That "con" is not an issue with the FSA SMR stem and I designed my own headset top caps so I could pull them through to drop the fork.

Oh dang, you might have just swayed me over to using those.  And looking more closely, I really like the volume adjuster they've got!