Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

Chinese gear that measure the power output of both legs in watts?

<< < (2/2)

PLA:
For any normal case, a spider is fine. If one leg is pedalling squares and the other circles, then you got deeper issues than your power meter.

TribesMan:
My point is, spider based power meter is not a good tool if you want to observe your L/R balance.
It measures total power just fine and it's a great tool for training, but fails miserably when it comes to L/R balance.

Also, no matter what I tried, I could not get my L/R balance closer to 50/50.
I spent a few winters doing single leg drills, single leg weight training and so on... almost no change.
The best I've seen was 46/54... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kbernstein:
Are you making a conscious effort to pull on the return? My point was that you shouldn't try doing any of that. It's okay to have a small unbalance (although 45/55 is pretty high, do you have a condition perhaps?) and specifically training to "correct" those is kind of a waste of time. It's just an interesting stat and of course spiders can't differentiate left pulling from right pushing but it shouldn't matter much as you shouldn't be pulling

TribesMan:
Its not so much about "pulling" as it is just unloading the pedal on the way up.
I find it quite natural on the right side, I don't have to even think about it.
Sometimes when I ride a bike with flat pedals I notice that my right leg gets a bit of "air time" on the upstroke.
But the left leg was never like that. No injuries, no conditions, same leg length... its just "lazy". :)

genealogyxie:

--- Quote from: TribesMan on December 28, 2023, 12:44:31 PM ---Its not so much about "pulling" as it is just unloading the pedal on the way up.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. Maybe some athletes might think this newfangled tech is useless, but didn't some people think that the MP3/iPod players were going to be just a fad?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version