Author Topic: Short-travel XC frame  (Read 806 times)

Joselu

Short-travel XC frame
« on: October 08, 2024, 01:13:16 PM »
Hey everyone!

I’m looking for a short-travel XC frame, similar to the Epic WC, Supercaliber, or BH Lynx SLS.

So far, I’ve come across the AIRWOLF YFM015, but I’m a bit concerned about the rear shock and the fact that it doesn’t support a standard shock. I’ve also checked out the LightCarbon LCFS980, which I like, but I’m hoping for something a bit lighter with a more rigid-like design.

Does anyone know of other frames with these characteristics or have any experience with the AIRWOLF?

Thank you!

Ludo

Re: Short-travel XC frame
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2024, 03:27:18 PM »
What do you call short travel? The Spp cycle Oiz is pretty light weight and the Oiz is recognized a as being a good plateform I think

Joselu

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2024, 05:29:50 PM »
Yep, by short-travel I mean around 70-80mm of rear shock travel. The Oiz has 120mm, which is a solid platform, but I don’t need that much.

Ludo

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 08:45:38 PM »
What is the penalty of having more travel what you « need » because I don’t think it really affect the weight a whole lot, does it? I am asking for my own education as I am considering building a full suspension bike in the coming months

Joselu

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2024, 08:49:56 AM »
I’d say the main pros are the weight and agility. For example, the top-tier Epic Evo is 10.2 kg, while the Epic WC comes in at 9.4 kg. The 120mm shocks make bikes more stable, safer, and probably faster on downhills, but they do compromise on tight cornering and bike sensitivity.

And personally, I love the aesthetics. They look like rigid MTBs, which I’m more used to riding.

jefflinde

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2024, 10:13:32 PM »
The only one I have come across under 100mm of frame travel is the new light carbon 980. 

Square_Cookies

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 12:20:22 AM »
There was also that whole thread about the AWST/Airwolf knockoff of the Specialized Epic Wold Cup.

But I am not sure if anyone on the forums has actually bought one of the frames or if it is even possible to source one of sidlux wc shocks aftermarket. So you may be stuck with what ever the thing is that they give you in the box which kind of defeats the purpose of the bike.

ftajiri

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2024, 06:52:31 AM »

repoman

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2024, 09:55:32 AM »

Joselu

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2024, 06:17:42 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/tantanfactory_bike_frame/p/C4SdfjGOill/?img_index=1

delivery 90mm travel

Yep, it’s the Lightcarbon 980. I kind of like it, but the cable integration is awful, and I haven’t read great feedback about it in its own thread. Same as Seraph FM080

jefflinde

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2024, 01:34:20 PM »
Yep, it’s the Lightcarbon 980. I kind of like it, but the cable integration is awful, and I haven’t read great feedback about it in its own thread. Same as Seraph FM080

I was told they would cut holes in the down tube to avoid the headset cable routing.  I would for sure be taking them up on that if I were to order one.  That is the main complaint I have about my 918.

repoman

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2024, 08:41:36 AM »

The main issue was the threading in the BB was poor, representative from the company was made aware so hopefully they do further checks on that. 
It's also being sold by a Brand called Trinx, their rider in the UCI WC U23 women is currently in 2nd place which I find interesting.