Chinertown

Other Resources => Component Deals & Selection => Topic started by: SugarIsKing on September 27, 2026, 06:23:23 AM

Title: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: SugarIsKing on September 27, 2026, 06:23:23 AM
I can't find much info or experiences with sumc chain. They seem to be legit and I have a good feeling about the chains. I push 5.0 w/kg for 20 min and do over 1000w often. I will try these chains out for a few months and let you know what I think. XDS uses some SUMC on some models.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: crazyravr on September 28, 2026, 09:04:02 AM
Which PRO team do you ride for?
or
Calibrate your PM ;)

but the chains are legit and quality. However, I will never go for any of these aftermarket chains, Shimano are proven, reliable and most of the times cheaper than any of these.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: rf36fd on September 28, 2026, 01:14:18 PM
ive been running a SUMC 11speed on my bike the last year with hot wax, no complaints
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: Dan S. on September 29, 2026, 03:19:40 AM
Cannot comment on their chains, but they quicklinks are pretty good  ;D
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: SugarIsKing on September 29, 2026, 09:47:56 AM
Which PRO team do you ride for?
or
Calibrate your PM ;)

but the chains are legit and quality. However, I will never go for any of these aftermarket chains, Shimano are proven, reliable and most of the times cheaper than any of these.

Not 1000w for 20 mins
More like 335w for 20 min, I use many power meters, stages bikes, favero Assioma on my bike. I will soon be at 400w 20min 6.0w/kg + 100% full natty vegan.  I was at around 200w 1.5-2 year ago

I will put the chains to the test. Will be doing live Zwift racing and stuff like that this winter and I will run the sumc..if it's good. I'll grab bulk sumc to last. Hopefully I can promote them in north america I also hope they keep the price low.

I can get SUMC for cheaper than I can get YBN SLA h10, so I'm giving these sumc chains a chance. Everyone says not to but I want to try looool I have a feeling they're pretty good. I'll just run them on my trainer all winter, which will be 8 hours a week of 300W+ at the very least. Doing FTP tests pushing 340w next PR.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: SugarIsKing on September 29, 2026, 09:51:22 AM
ive been running a SUMC 11speed on my bike the last year with hot wax, no complaints

That's awesome. I have a good feeling about these chains. I got the sx10sl silver.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: crazyravr on September 29, 2026, 01:06:54 PM
Not 1000w for 20 mins
More like 335w for 20 min, I use many power meters, stages bikes, favero Assioma on my bike. I will soon be at 400w 20min 6.0w/kg + 100% full natty vegan.  I was at around 200w 1.5-2 year ago

I will put the chains to the test. Will be doing live Zwift racing and stuff like that this winter and I will run the sumc..if it's good. I'll grab bulk sumc to last. Hopefully I can promote them in north america I also hope they keep the price low.

I can get SUMC for cheaper than I can get YBN SLA h10, so I'm giving these sumc chains a chance. Everyone says not to but I want to try looool I have a feeling they're pretty good. I'll just run them on my trainer all winter, which will be 8 hours a week of 300W+ at the very least. Doing FTP tests pushing 340w next PR.

Again, these are pro level numbers so which pro team do you ride for and why are you buying your own chains? ;)

The chains arent going to snap. They are good quality, but they will NEVER shift as good as shimano chains especially if your other components are shimano group. Just like the light weight casettes, they work, just NOT anywhere close to shimano.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: jeffrey on September 29, 2026, 02:35:19 PM
I recently bought a 12s SUMC chain only because it's Flattop like for Shimano groupsets.
I'll install it (on a 11s 105) once I wear out my current chain, just for the sake of aesthetics.
We'll see if it's worth it or I go back to regular cheap Shimano (currently on a CN-HG601 iirc)
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: Dan S. on September 30, 2026, 02:46:25 AM
... + 100% full natty vegan.

HARLEY, IS THAT YOU?!
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: SugarIsKing on September 30, 2026, 05:15:32 AM
HARLEY, IS THAT YOU?!

 I know him, and he did get me into biking. haha.

lmao biggest spender eh
I have hundreds of orders on aliexpress in one year
The coupons are what its all about
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: SugarIsKing on September 30, 2026, 05:19:12 AM
Again, these are pro level numbers so which pro team do you ride for and why are you buying your own chains? ;)

The chains arent going to snap. They are good quality, but they will NEVER shift as good as shimano chains especially if your other components are shimano group. Just like the light weight casettes, they work, just NOT anywhere close to shimano.

I have been working on wattage for 1.5-2 years now. I went from 200w to 331w right now on my way to 400+w. If you have any teams that would like to take me in and support me....let me fucking know bro..perfect thing is I'm fully clean and the team can test me anytime. I will make it to 6.0+w/kg. On extreme amounts of sugar lol

For the chains, I think sumc is very ignored over here in North America. I like china, so I wanted to try out sumc. They seem to be on the tier of some bigger brands, but no reviews, no videos. There is a video on YouTube but the guy has a motorcycle helmet on and th voice is dubbed with robot telling me the chain snapped on first ride....like I can't trust that at all.

I kind of stock up and hoard 10 speed items, so they can last me until I go pro level. I have 3 SPEEDER SC48v I think they're called and like a few sets of sram red 10 speed NOS, rim brake wheels from speeder...etc thats why im looking for a solid good price chain to stock up on.

I literally got 3 speeder sc48v frames AND a winspace slc 2.0 lmao.... this shit works and it's all light and fast.  I have not broken into the speeder frames yet, they're backups for my winspace SLC 2.0(RIM) main bike which I very much!

https://youtu.be/iL4ATofJmLc?si=g7JIZpKdQPv8oDRD
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: Tijoe on September 30, 2026, 09:52:30 AM
I've been using KMC 12speed chains purchased from Aliexpress for several years now.  I ride enough off-road miles per year that I replace the chain each year on my gravel bike and bikepacking rig.   Because I consider chains consumable items, I am always looking for the best cost/durability/weight of the chain.   Perhaps I will hear some good news on SUMC chains and try one.

OTOH,  I have been purchasing RIDERACE 12sp quick links/master-links, and have had several of them fail and pull apart.   (I always carry 2 spare links in my tool kit.) Unfortunately, the last 2 failures this year have been out in the boonies with inconvenient timing, such that I have to sit on the side of the trail repairing the chain.

Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: 00Garza on September 30, 2026, 10:08:44 AM

OTOH,  I have been purchasing RIDERACE 12sp quick links/master-links, and have had several of them fail and pull apart.   (I always carry 2 spare links in my tool kit.) Unfortunately, the last 2 failures this year have been out in the boonies with inconvenient timing, such that I have to sit on the side of the trail repairing the chain.

Bummer. I carry these as spares as well. Looks like I won't be anymore.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: SugarIsKing on September 30, 2026, 02:16:15 PM
I've been using KMC 12speed chains purchased from Aliexpress for several years now.  I ride enough off-road miles per year that I replace the chain each year on my gravel bike and bikepacking rig.   Because I consider chains consumable items, I am always looking for the best cost/durability/weight of the chain.   Perhaps I will hear some good news on SUMC chains and try one.

OTOH,  I have been purchasing RIDERACE 12sp quick links/master-links, and have had several of them fail and pull apart.   (I always carry 2 spare links in my tool kit.) Unfortunately, the last 2 failures this year have been out in the boonies with inconvenient timing, such that I have to sit on the side of the trail repairing the chain.

Thats very bad. I really wanted to trust those RIDERACE quick links as well but I didn't end up following through with the order and instead I went with YBN 10speed quick links, 6 for 19.97CAD. Just recently got into chain waxing...so clean.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: Rapac on September 30, 2026, 02:17:36 PM
OTOH,  I have been purchasing RIDERACE 12sp quick links/master-links, and have had several of them fail and pull apart.   (I always carry 2 spare links in my tool kit.) Unfortunately, the last 2 failures this year have been out in the boonies with inconvenient timing, such that I have to sit on the side of the trail repairing the chain.

you are scaring me, i've been using them on two 12 speed bikes for now since maybe 6000km and had no problems. what happened ?
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: jonathanf2 on September 30, 2026, 02:59:53 PM
I think I'll order this chain just to try out. The flat edge should make these stronger than regular chains, so I don't think durability will be an issue. Glad to see Chinese manufacturers mixing & matching Shimano and SRAM tech!  ;D
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: gribs on September 30, 2026, 03:42:48 PM
Are Shimano chains much more expensive elsewhere as these make no sense from a UK perspective when 11 spd XTR is ~£25 and 12 spd XTR is ~£35
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: rovescio on September 30, 2026, 04:39:46 PM
Saw something on chinese tiktok about fake SUMC chains.
The one with the beveled edge on the outer plate is supposedly real.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: Tijoe on September 30, 2026, 05:25:37 PM
Regarding these Riderace links,  I have at least 5 boxes of 12 speed I purchased over time on sale, and several boxes of 11 speed links for my road bike.
I follow the recommendation of replacing the link each time you take it apart, therefore I replace the link a couple times a year after removing the chain for cleaning.

For my 2 "most" recent failures, I don't have a clue why they pulled apart, they had been installed hundreds, if not a thousand miles after their installation, so it wasn't like I had recently put it in.   Both times, it has been on my loaded bikepacking rig, in my 2nd to lowest gear, (30T front X 48T rear cog) under power on about a 10% climb.  I started hearing a ticking sound, that was quickly followed by the link letting go.  Both 1/2s were intact, one piece on each end of the chain.  I still have the latest failed one but have not looked at it under magnification.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: james7 on October 01, 2026, 12:47:55 AM
I tried one of those riderace 11 speed links, it was suuuper loose on a 105 chain. Like pulling each side of the chain with bare hands made it lock together. Not confidence inspiring. At least the kmc link i used next needed the cheapo tool to make it lock (I’m sure the pedal stomp would do it).
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: Tijoe on October 01, 2026, 12:48:23 AM
Well...  I examined my failed link this evening.   The good news, the removable link that failed is the stock KMC link, not one of my Riderace links.  This chain has 2 links in it, because when I changed from a 10 X 50 cassette to a 10 X 52, I had to add 2 chain links.

The failure of this KMC link is different than I expected.  Looks like the end of the pin failed over time as little pieces chipped of the end eventually allowing the link to separate.    (Sorry I have distracted from the SUMC discussion with these side-bar postings.)

Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: crazyravr on October 01, 2026, 08:38:29 AM
I use those 12 speeds QL from RideRace on two of my bikes. I typically change them out after about 4-5 reconnects (using chain waxing). Zero issues.
Title: Re: Let's talk about SUMC chain
Post by: jonathanf2 on October 01, 2026, 11:10:05 AM
Those Riderace master links are fine. I wouldn't think much about it unless you weigh over 100kg and like grinding in crappy dirt all day.