Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - cheap_but_fast

Pages: [1]
1
Cyclocross Frames, Wheels & Components / Re: Velobuild AERO GRAV Frame
« on: September 24, 2026, 10:48:30 AM »
My component choice, building experience and learnings:

Components:
  • Frame size S, integrated handlebar 100x380, seatpost with 20mm setback (I'm 179cm tall with inseam of around 84cm)
  • Custom paint with chameleon green and Pantone C1 grey
  • SRAM Rival E1 groupset with Force powermeter crankset (for weight savings)
  • Elitewheels Gravel Aero+ wheelset (32mm internal/40mm external, 1400g)
  • Schwalbe G-One RX Pro 45mm tyres (measured 47mm)
  • Ryet carbon saddle
  • Ahyka Aero Bottles
  • Weight: Around 7.8kg without pedals and bottles
  • Cost: Around CHF 2300 (2775$)

Build:
Went without problems, had not a single issue. However, there is a 1-2mm gap between fork and frame (which is fine for me).

Learnings:
  • Paid XDB shipping, had to pay taxes (CHF 40) anyway. Will ask for a refund (why do they offer the option in the first place for Switzerland??)
  • The stated handlebar width is at the drops, the hoods are 2cm narrower. I wanted a 38cm handlebar at the hoods, but got a 36cm instead. This was not clear on their website (but is mentioned in this forum, which I didn't see). I'd like to have one with more flare anyway, so might have to look elsewhere.
  • Paint job is surprisingly good (finish). The only issue is slight color deviation (I ordered Pantone C1 warm grey, got Pantone C1 grey,  but I can live with that), and that the slanted line is not perfect (the angle at the fork is not steep enough). But for the price I am happy tbh.
  • A straight computer mount looks weird on the handle bar (points up), might have to print myself one or find another suitable option.

First ride went without problems, let's see what the future brings!

Pages: [1]