Author Topic: cybrsrce AM831 build  (Read 17052 times)

scourge

Re: cybrsrce AM831 build
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »
This is my first Chinese frame. Has something like this occurred with a frame before? Did the manufacturer do anything about it?

Maffly

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2021, 01:35:14 PM »
Eddy told me “all frames have some flex, it is fine” paraphrasing but don’t get your hopes up.

deucelee

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2021, 02:34:03 PM »
hmmmmmmmmm.......so how much $ in parts would it take to make this issue be resolved? i mean, ideally I'd like the manufacturer to resolve this...

apologies as this is my first ever build and just started mtb this past spring so not too knowlegeable on these bike quirks.

Maffly

« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2021, 03:02:03 PM »
No one really has a way to resolve it yet. There are some good ideas out there but they will require some machined parts.  Bushings can tighten it up but not looking like a very acceptable solution.

cybrsrce

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2021, 10:43:52 AM »
New wheels, tires, pedals, back to round chainring, testing out different grips, and shockwiz trying to get this damn shock sorted.

NOBL TR37 i9 Hydra hubs that need to be greased monthly or they sound like an Aztek death whistle
Specialized Butcher T9 Soil Searching 29x2.6 up front
Specialized Eliminator T7 Soil Searching 29x2.3 out back
I love tanwalls just not sure if I love them with the bike this color.
SRAM 30t boost chainring in lunar to match the rest of the kit
Gray version of the metal OneUp pedals, I put the beat up black ones they replaced on my hardtail
Ergon GA3 this month.  Also have Ergon GA2 FAT and Deity Lockjaw to test.  Tried Deity Supracush but they are, in fact, not cush...  I may go back to my preferred Deity Knuckleduster or DMR Deathgrip.

So, tanwalls - Thumbs up/down?

Snacks

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »
Curious why you went back to round? Did the oval not live up to hype or was it just not as good for your style of riding ?

I'm right there with ya. I normally like tan sidewalls but I think you're bike looked killer with the black tires. I don't think it looks bad , though. Still a very very nice looking bike with the tans

cybrsrce

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »
Curious why you went back to round? Did the oval not live up to hype or was it just not as good for your style of riding ?

I was exhausted after doing the same rides I have been doing for the past few years.  Thought it was being freshly vaccinated, the heat, bike weighs a few pounds more and is longer and slacker than my previous frame, etc.  Finally decided to put an old 30t chainring on just to test if that was it, and I do feel better after a few rides.  The oval is really efficient, maybe too efficient for me as it just seemed to kick my ass with all the other factors.  It was like I was never getting a rest - but man it really helped tackle slow tech climbs.

I'm right there with ya. I normally like tan sidewalls but I think you're bike looked killer with the black tires. I don't think it looks bad , though. Still a very very nice looking bike with the tans

I was so excited to see a 29er trail tire in tanwall that I just bought them without considering how they would look :)  I've not had Specialized tires that weren't shit but these new compounds have promise.  If they work well you can get a set for a little more than one decent Maxxis tire, but maybe in a black sidewall. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:34:11 PM by cybrsrce »

Snacks

« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
I was so excited to see a 29er trail tire in tanwall that I just bought them without considering how they would look :)  I've not had Specialized tires that weren't shit but these new compounds have promise.  If they work well you can get a set for a little more than one decent Maxxis tire, but maybe in a black sidewall.

I'm deciding on another am831 for my sister ( definitely after they actually fix the frame  ;D ) or the Carbonda 1166. I saw someone here get a transparent blue top coat over raw carbon from carbonda and Im thinking that might look pretty nice with these tan sidewalls

BTW the tans with the gray frame are really growing on me. Maybe it looked off originally since we were used to seeing your bike with the black tires.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:18:52 PM by Snacks »

emu26

« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »
I'm deciding on another am831 for my sister ( definitely after they actually fix the frame  ;D ) or the Carbonda 1166. I saw someone here get a transparent blue top coat over raw carbon from carbonda and Im thinking that might look pretty nice with these tan sidewalls

BTW the tans with the gray frame are really growing on me. Maybe it looked off originally since we were used to seeing your bike with the black tires.

That was Pedaldancer here, looks really good.  http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3106.msg32858.html#msg32858

Dirkf22

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2021, 09:41:28 PM »
About to start my build.  I got a new takeoff rockshox super deluxe from an SC Bronson (210x55).  It has the  30mm roller bearing on the damper.  Has anyone successfully modified the link to make it fit?

Gigelz

« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2021, 01:06:09 AM »
About to start my build.  I got a new takeoff rockshox super deluxe from an SC Bronson (210x55).  It has the  30mm roller bearing on the damper.  Has anyone successfully modified the link to make it fit?
That is not possible.

cybrsrce

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2021, 06:04:28 AM »

I wasn't confident that there would be enough material on the linkage so I opted to swap to the standard eyelet damper body.

cybrsrce

« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »
I found a decent tune for my local trails so here are some numbers for others that may have trouble dialing it in:

Rider:
225lbs/102kg with winter gear and full pack

Bike:
33.44lbs/15.16kg

Fork (160mm Rockshox Zeb Ultimate RC2):
68psi ~30% sag
Rebound 8 clicks from closed
HSC 2 clicks from closed
LSC 1 click from closed
No volume tokens

Shock (210x55 Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg, generic MM tune):
292psi ~32% sag
Rebound 4 clicks from closed
LSC 1 click from closed
No volume tokens
2 bands in the MegNeg

Tuned to be planted but still have enough pop to jump.  For me, Trailhead and SC base recommendations were way off.  Took about 10 rides to get the shock right and there aren't even a lot of knobs to twist.

The Eliminator lasted 1.5 rides without a puncture.  Change the compounds all you want, Specialized tires are still too thin.

cybrsrce

« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
Yesterday was not a great day to forget the rear fender.  Weather was nice, trail not as much.  Benefit is that you don't notice the frame flex when the whole bike is sliding all over the place!

AV_RIDER

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2022, 11:24:04 PM »
Nice tires. Do you have enough clearance to fit a 2.5” Assegai in the rear? Asking for a friend.