Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 252012 times)

jonathanf2

I don't have a recommendation but I do have a suggestion for which one to NOT buy - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807061604192.html (and many other brands with iterations of it)
This one vibrates even with lighter and smaller unit like Edge 530. If I attach a light its even worse.

I had a carbon mount on my gravel bike and it vibrated badly. I ended up getting an alloy mount which I found to be far more stable, though at a slight weight penalty. I can attach my GPS computer and Lumina light with no vibration.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805826530247.html?

Rolandos

I had a carbon mount on my gravel bike and it vibrated badly. I ended up getting an alloy mount which I found to be far more stable, though at a slight weight penalty. I can attach my GPS computer and Lumina light with no vibration.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805826530247.html?
Interesting, good tip! I need a mount for my new build as its not included. Good tip on the non carbon, I guess ill get alloy also. Did you try any other mounts then the one you linked? Does it come with screws?

jonathanf2

Interesting, good tip! I need a mount for my new build as its not included. Good tip on the non carbon, I guess ill get alloy also. Did you try any other mounts then the one you linked? Does it come with screws?

Mine didn't come with screws, but I use titanium screws for my stem bolts since they fit. I didn't try any other alloy computer mounts, since my other bikes use separate bar and stem.

jonathanf2

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805673187010.html

Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered these lightweight 6 bolt rotors for my gravel bike. I opted for the 180/160 pair. I figure for a non-loaded 7.5kg gravel bike, the lightweight design should be fine.The rear 160mm rotor bolted up with no issue, but the front 180mm rotor needed a piston reset, fresh pads and rotor alignment.

I want to compare them to the 160mm IIIPro floating disc rotors which I highly recommend in the 2x160mm configuration. I was thinking of getting the 180mm disc in that brand, but the weight gain was a bit too much for me.

Tijoe

I started out using one-piece rotors on my gravel bike.  Several times on long descents, my brakes overheated.   I migrated to 2-piece rotors like the IIIPros, and I have not had as much heat build up.   -  If you do not descend on long steep technical downhills where continuous non-stop braking is required, then you should be happy with them. 

jonathanf2

I started out using one-piece rotors on my gravel bike.  Several times on long descents, my brakes overheated.   I migrated to 2-piece rotors like the IIIPros, and I have not had as much heat build up.   -  If you do not descend on long steep technical downhills where continuous non-stop braking is required, then you should be happy with them.

Part of the reason I got these rotors was to match up two wheelsets with the same rotors, 6 bolt and centerlock. The IIIPro rotors I was using has screw indents that get in the way of the centerlock adapter locking cap. When you tighten it up, it'll mess up the indent lip. The standard one-piece rotors are flat so they don't have that problem.

Anyways, on a non-loaded gravel bike using the 180mm rotor in front, performance was very good with these cheap rotors. In fact even with the 30g 6 bolt to CL adapter, the 160mm rotor comes out to about 103g. On my road bikes, I'll stick with floating rotors, but for my gravel bike I have no complaints. There were higher performance 6 bolt KCNC disc rotors on AliEx, but they're like $50 USD per rotor.

$6 USD for a pair works for me!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 09:42:25 AM by jonathanf2 »

Serge_K

Why would a one piece overheat and a 2 piece not? how do you interpret that? I'd assume the one piece has more thermal mass, so should heat up less. Neither has fins? Both are solid steel?
Afaik, the argument for 2 piece is the heat isnt transferred into the hub. i havent heard claims that it dissipates heat better.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

toxin

There is no underlying reason a 1 piece should have worse thermal performance.

jonathanf2

From a cost perspective for gravel, these one-piece rotors might be my go-to moving forward. For the price they can't be beat. I feel like the 180mm front slowed me down faster, in doing so I didn't have to stress the rotors as much. It almost balances out and/or negates the heat dissipation advantages of 2x160mm floating rotors. With gravel it hits that middle ground between mtb and road where a lightweight 180/160 rotor combo shines. Though if I weighed more or my gravel bike was fully loaded for bikepacking/loaded touring duties I might stick to heavier duty rotors.

lantz

Does anyone have a Suggestion for a garmin Computer Mount for integrated handlebars?

I use this one on just about every bike I have and it's great:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804956879998.html

Tijoe

Why would a one piece overheat and a 2 piece not? how do you interpret that? I'd assume the one piece has more thermal mass, so should heat up less. Neither has fins? Both are solid steel?
Afaik, the argument for 2 piece is the heat isnt transferred into the hub. i havent heard claims that it dissipates heat better.
Aluminum dissipates heat around 15 times faster than steel.   2-piece rotors, "CAN" have better heat management.  I write "CAN"  because I really don't know how good of a thermal engineering job the Chiner rotor manufactures do in their products.   (In the automotive world, 2-piece rotors are by far superior at rotor heat management/dissipation than solid steel) 

I am a retired mechanical engineer and haven't worked on thermal heat transfer designs in many years, I'm not sure if I will properly boil an explanation down to a few concise statements

- Heat flows from hot to cold at a measurable rate: (Thermal conductivity of Steel to air, steel to Aluminum, Aluminum to air.)   
- When brake pads are pressed onto the rotor, heat is generated.  This heat is primarily dissipated through air.  But, on long continued intense heavy braking, heat builds up in the rotor and starts transferring more of the heat through the rest of the rotor towards the hub.   If you add in an aluminum center section, the aluminum will transfer heat at a faster rate than a one-piece solid steel rotor.   The thermal conduction path and heat dissipation properties of aluminum can make the difference between a glowing hot rotor and brake fade.
- The complication:   There are types of 2-piece steel/aluminum rotors in the market.  1. True floating 2-piece rotors. 2. 2-piece pinned rotors.   Unless the manufacturer does a good job of designing in a good thermal transfer path between the interfaces, one could loose a lot of the heat management benefits of a true 2-piece rotor. 

There are a lot of variables involved that will affect the overall performance of a rotor on a bicycle.   The caliper, the brake pad material, and how long and how hard the brakes are applied between cooling periods. The rider's weight/overall mass you are trying to stop impacts the amount of heat generated. 

All of these variable may never come into play for the majority of riders to ever notice a difference between a sold steel rotor and a 2-piece rotor.    I often weigh in the 210 pound range.   On long steep descents, all this weight adds to the heat generated during heavy braking.  Riding on 2-piece rotors, really helped in my downhill braking situations.

kbernstein

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005007383891738.html

What's up with that? Anyone heard of link-s computers? I can't find anything more about it (but I got tricked into clicking bdsm gear on ebay  >:( )
Bezel looks awful but on paper, touchscreen with color maps (that look excellent), GLONASS, notifications and workout support for that price is insane.
I'd gamble but I'm still fighting tradeinn's garbage support to get the shitty magene c606 refunded
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 12:34:20 PM by kbernstein »

jonathanf2

Not necessarily this brand (though they seem all the same), but quick release thru axles in general have solved a bunch of issues I was having. Everything from rubbing front rotors, creaking cassettes and ease-of-removal (had to hacksaw a previous thru axle from a rounded head). Unless you're sensitive to aero, I'd consider going with these style thru axles if you have any of the issues I mentioned.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807257746434.html

coffeebreak

Ultralight disc brake caliper 160/180mm adapters. Hadn't seen these before. The shape of the front adapter is interesting and so are the colors. I might actually order a set not for the weight saving but for color.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNMdibO

Wet Noodle

Not necessarily this brand (though they seem all the same), but quick release thru axles in general have solved a bunch of issues I was having. Everything from rubbing front rotors, creaking cassettes and ease-of-removal
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807257746434.html

Not sure if you got the link right(?) Those are just thru axles with a short built-in lever; they won't help with the first two issues you mentioned (because physics). You'd have way more leverage with a full-size hex key (probably even with a foldable multitool). Greased threads also help.

There are however actual qr thru axles with cam mechanism. These could build up decent clamping force.