Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 118836 times)

amacal1

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #870 on: June 17, 2024, 10:39:20 AM »
Hi all, I'm considering purchasing either the Erx or the Er9 from ltwoo for a new build, but there are few points on which I'd like to ask about your experience:

1) indexing of the gear: from what I can read on the forum and bits and pieces of information from Ltwoo on AliExpress (I could not find a comprehensive description of the groupset) the indexing is done via the partner app. Is there a way to use and index the group without the need to install any app?
Can you press a combination of buttons on the levers that will put the group into a "indexing mode" where you can go through each cogs and do micro adjustments just by clicking on the buttons and then memorizing that specific configuration or the app is the only way to go? (Opposite to what is possible with Shimano ).

Ltwoo has a website with fairly good listing of documentation. You can find the manual for the eR9/eRX series, and it's actually a pretty good manual. It clearly states that you can do fine tuning of individual gears through button presses on the groupset and brifters. Please go check that out to see the procedure. However, I don't see anything about being able to switch from 12speed to 11 or 10speed via buttons, so I think that functionality may be only available through the app.

as far as my questions have been answered, app is mandatory.

How did you arrive at this answer? As far as I can see, the app is not mandatory (except to switch from 12 speed to some other speed cassette).

I'd still buy the ER9/X over again even with the minor issues I've had. I've been able to figure out all my problems. Plus spare parts replacement for Di2/SRAM are still more expensive. If any major issues are going to occur, it'll be the RD. Protect the ports, get good batteries and make sure not to damage the cables. At least up to this point, ER9/X replacements parts are available and for reasonable prices.

If that's a concern, then I wouldn't even consider an electronic groupset. That's probably why most bike tourers stick to mechanical + steel frame bikes for ease of maintenance. It's not like 10 speed Di2 is still properly supported. Plus you could always put the Ltwoo app on an old device/ipad/tablet dedicated to tuning the groupset.

I have no particular bias with electronic vs mechanical. They both work. At this point either 105 or Ultegra mechanical are the best bang-for-buck groupsets available right now.

Exactly my thoughts. Except it doesn't even appear to be necessary to worry about long term app functionality, as you may only *really* need it to re-purpose the groupset onto other bikes and maximize your use of it long term. If you simply install it on a bike and keep it on that bike, you probably won't need the app 10 years from now as long as you keep it on the same bike.

As far as matching functionality to Di2, not even Shimano lets you swap the number of gears or even let you microadjust through an app so it's already a false comparison. If Ltwoo goes out of business tomorrow and their app ceases to exist, then you'd still have an electronic derailleur with as much functionality as a Shimano Di2 derailleur, right?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 10:47:19 AM by amacal1 »

Tijoe

« Reply #871 on: June 17, 2024, 05:10:17 PM »
Every time I read the new posts in this thread, I am so happy I became a Wheeltop EDS OX and TX user.   ;D

jonathanf2

« Reply #872 on: June 17, 2024, 05:51:41 PM »
Every time I read the new posts in this thread, I am so happy I became a Wheeltop EDS OX and TX user.   ;D

Hey, but now we have the first report of Wheeltop TX PCB corrosion!  ;D

I think all these electronic groupsets have certain compromises, even Di2 and AXS. It really just depends on what's acceptable for the end user. Though I'm still interested in what Wheeltop is doing. Hopefully prices will start to drop in coming months, especially once Magene comes out with their electronic groupset.

amacal1

« Reply #873 on: June 17, 2024, 06:29:07 PM »
Though I'm still interested in what Wheeltop is doing. Hopefully prices will start to drop in coming months, especially once Magene comes out with their electronic groupset.

Wheeltop seems interesting, I especially am interested by the cable-pull version for modding old bikes. But.... Those prices really need to drop. No way would I pay what they're asking for Chinese groupset. Only reason I'm using my Ltwoo set is because the price was worth giving it a go.

lantz

« Reply #874 on: June 17, 2024, 11:37:27 PM »
Maybe I'm a lucky one, but I've had *zero* issues with my eRX gruppo from Sept/Oct last year. I've got a couple thousand miles on it and no issues at all.

Knocking on wood, I really love it and have the gravel set on my list for a gravel build soon.

Avalius

« Reply #875 on: June 18, 2024, 01:21:59 AM »
I'm building another bike with 105 di2 and will sell my ER9 bike. But so far no issues and racing with it every week. Also knocking on wood, posts here do frighten me.
"You can't be sad while riding a bicycle."

rockerplates.de

« Reply #876 on: June 18, 2024, 01:29:22 AM »
Ltwoo has a website with fairly good listing of documentation. You can find the manual for the eR9/eRX series, and it's actually a pretty good manual. It clearly states that you can do fine tuning of individual gears through button presses on the groupset and brifters. Please go check that out to see the procedure. However, I don't see anything about being able to switch from 12speed to 11 or 10speed via buttons, so I think that functionality may be only available through the app.

How did you arrive at this answer? As far as I can see, the app is not mandatory (except to switch from 12 speed to some other speed cassette).

Exactly my thoughts. Except it doesn't even appear to be necessary to worry about long term app functionality, as you may only *really* need it to re-purpose the groupset onto other bikes and maximize your use of it long term. If you simply install it on a bike and keep it on that bike, you probably won't need the app 10 years from now as long as you keep it on the same bike.

Well, i have asked which functions can be set via buttons and i did not receive an answer, yet...but it has only be 8 month...i think i will have to patient...lol

As far as matching functionality to Di2, not even Shimano lets you swap the number of gears or even let you microadjust through an app so it's already a false comparison. If Ltwoo goes out of business tomorrow and their app ceases to exist, then you'd still have an electronic derailleur with as much functionality as a Shimano Di2 derailleur, right?

Sebastian

« Reply #877 on: June 18, 2024, 03:13:17 AM »
Roughly 3.500km and 24.000 shifts on my er9, here. Haven't touched anything ever since I sealed the cable plug on the RD. No issues with water ingress nor with cables coming loose. I'm riding the occasional cobbled road, which we got a lot of here.
Very little battery use, which is a pleasant surprise. I'm using branded higher quality batteries. Well, I like to believe that they're higher quality at least.

I will say that while it shifts fine, I'm not blown away by the shifting performance. It's okay for what it is, but my Campy 12sp mechanical is still in a different league in comparison. And the 11sp Ultegra that I rode on a rental bike was better as well. I consider myself fairly experienced in how to set up a groupset. I've been doing this for around 15 years. Maybe it's because I'm running an 11-34 cassette which is the extreme end of what the RD parallelogram arm/upper pulley can track well.

rockerplates.de

« Reply #878 on: June 18, 2024, 09:20:10 AM »
Man, i wish you all the best and hope the group continous to perform...thats how it should be....!

jonathanf2

« Reply #879 on: June 19, 2024, 12:56:00 PM »
I ended up installing a spare ER9 groupset on my older SPCycle SP-027D frameset. Despite having a few quirks with my first ER9 bike, I think I've ironed out most potential issues. I was planning to save the groupset for a future bike build, but there's not much that interest me right now.  Plus I think semi ICR bikes running electronic are as hassle-free as it gets when it comes to maintenance and travel (my headset is solid like a rock).

This bike was easy to convert to electronic compared to my ER9 TFSA frameset. There was ample space to route the cables and battery holder. Only issue I had was getting my shifters installed properly on new 38cm flared drop bars. LTwoo has the most convoluted shift clamp screw. I also swapped in a new set of EBL brand 2x14500 batteries. They seem to be working well on my other ER9 bike, compared to the Skywolfe batteries I was using previously (both purchased off US EBay).

One strange thing is the ER9 FD on this frame hasn't asked for a firmware update. This ER9 FD is running ver 0.0, while my other ER9 frame is on ver 1.2 I believe. Also I'm running 11 speed 52-36t/11-32t on this frame, while my other frame is running 12 speed 50-34t/11-34t. When set to 11 speed, the fine tuning values were way off. I found it really strange, though I was able to adjust it properly. I also have a chain catcher on order, I don't trust non-Shimano FDs to be chain-drop free.

Anyways, I'll report back once I get a few kilometric miles on the groupset. We'll see if my bike implodes with all the shifty AliEx components I'm running!  ;D

Serge_K

« Reply #880 on: June 21, 2024, 07:15:05 AM »
by way of update, the 3rd derailleur (er9) that died on May 18th, I'm yet to get ltwoo to provide a warranty replacement. it died like the others, for no reason.
someone suggested that - somewhat magically - resetting the whole thing with new batteries could fix the issue, it didn't on mine. I capacity tested all the lithium batteries i put in these groups, i'm pretty familiar with lithium things so i doubt there's something obvious that i missed in the battery department.
So it's now Jun 21st and my reseller is saying that ltwoo support is now full on ghosting him. He's now trying to speak with the sales rep. He says he's pissed off himself that the company is behaving like that. Now my reseller isn't reactive at all, i have to chase him 5x before he replies, but i do believe him when he's saying that he's being ghosted.
i've now put over 5000 km on mine, and other than charging problems, it's been flawless. my friend who broke his wheel weeks ago is now back on the bike, so he's ticking miles on the 5th RD, so far with no problem other than calibration to avoid chain drops.
I've installed 2 replacements and these have been working fine, but that's on under 500km together.
the worst thing in all this is the behaviour of ltwoo. a beta product with a ghosting manufacturer is just bad news.

Toondc

« Reply #881 on: June 21, 2024, 09:46:03 AM »
hi folks, I'm a relatively new to building a bike myself, and in the process of doing so I've ordered the LTWOO eGR. Additionally I've ordered a cassette 12 speed 10-44, but the LTWOO eGR states that the supported gear range is 11 to 46, so I'm wondering if this will work?

jonathanf2

« Reply #882 on: June 21, 2024, 10:26:27 AM »
I've installed 2 replacements and these have been working fine, but that's on under 500km together.
the worst thing in all this is the behaviour of ltwoo. a beta product with a ghosting manufacturer is just bad news.

Since you have access to other ER9 groupsets, have you tried other cables and battery holders to narrow down the issue to the RD being completely dead?

At this point why not just order a spare ER9 RD? With the coupon deals right now, it'll probably be under $130 USD. Time is money, I'd rather be back on the bike.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806937165249.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 10:33:37 AM by jonathanf2 »

SirBikealot

« Reply #883 on: June 21, 2024, 11:02:35 AM »

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806937165249.html

wow, finally the "official" LTWOO store ships to Germany so we can benefit from the lower prices too.

Serge_K

« Reply #884 on: June 21, 2024, 10:21:12 PM »
It's definitely not a problem with cables.
We indeed just bought one on AliExpress, came to cost 145 EUR, not quite 130 USD, but still a good backup to have.