Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 157655 times)

mrpercussive

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #1110 on: September 22, 2024, 02:57:20 PM »
So I went and impulse bought some Zrace XG calipers for my Ltwoo ER9 groupset. Was wondering since the pistons are both 22mm but the Ltwoo ones are ceramic and Zrace is aluminum... has anyone here swapped them to see if they're interchangeable? Lol

jonathanf2

« Reply #1111 on: September 22, 2024, 04:00:48 PM »
So I went and impulse bought some Zrace XG calipers for my Ltwoo ER9 groupset. Was wondering since the pistons are both 22mm but the Ltwoo ones are ceramic and Zrace is aluminum... has anyone here swapped them to see if they're interchangeable? Lol

I switched back to GRX calipers mainly because I found the XG pistons tend to be sticky after long descents. They could be better if they were fitted with ceramic pistons.

mrpercussive

« Reply #1112 on: September 22, 2024, 05:52:48 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 05:57:27 PM by mrpercussive »

00Garza

« Reply #1113 on: September 23, 2024, 10:40:19 AM »
Good to know... yea the zrace were an impulse buy as they were like $55 shipped for a pair... Sounds like possibly the aluminum zrace pistons expanding under high heat? I might try and retrofit the ltwoo pistons in there and see if that works if i dont like them haha|

Or maybe i could try something like this
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803315987372.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&gclsrc=aw.ds&albagn=888888&ds_e_adid=&ds_e_matchtype=&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=x&ds_e_product_group_id=&ds_e_product_id=en3256803315987372&ds_e_product_merchant_id=515767637&ds_e_product_country=US&ds_e_product_language=en&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&albcp=19678427463&albag=&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgL-3BhDnARIsAL6KZ6_JUimFvSK-X2ZniA-N7pvCAOrqeBIjpb7JOGu-Pv-qGcLTqcEHKAwaAkznEALw_wcB&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

That could be a cheap solution if they use the same size piston. Have you measured the zrace ones?
If its a tolerance issue with zrace, then they probably won't solve the problem. I just ordered some grx400 calipers for $33 from ali to replace my ltwoo calipers. Couldn't resist at that price.

mrpercussive

« Reply #1114 on: September 23, 2024, 10:53:47 AM »
That could be a cheap solution if they use the same size piston. Have you measured the zrace ones?
If its a tolerance issue with zrace, then they probably won't solve the problem. I just ordered some grx400 calipers for $33 from ali to replace my ltwoo calipers. Couldn't resist at that price.

Trace Velo measured and said they were both 22mm? But i'm not sure...  I'm probably going to run the stock ones for a bit when mine get here and then if i'm not happy with them do the swap. I also noticed Lewis uses Ti pistons which is interesting! Never seen that before

jonathanf2

« Reply #1115 on: September 23, 2024, 11:27:37 AM »
Pair of GRX 400 calipers:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807394938962.html

These GRX 400 calipers cost almost as much as the Zrace XG calipers. Weight-wise GRX calipers weigh less than both Ultegra and 105 and there's no difference between GRX 400/600/800 other than appearance. I confirmed with the seller this comes as a pair. I have a set of these on my gravel bike and on long descents the pistons don't get sticky and they're Shimano quality.

boxof13

« Reply #1116 on: September 23, 2024, 03:43:44 PM »

Yes, they use the same piston i.e. 22mm. In fact, I replaced my first two Zrace XG pistons with ceramics ones I bought from AE. Unfortunately, one of the two XGs I had started leaking from around the piston. I don't have much time to tinker around, so I replaced that with a new updated XG, which I bought for $22 using discount and coins. By the way, the new XG calipers comes with what looks to be ceramic piston. They are no longer Aluminum. Overall, I think the new updated XG calipers are much improved. This includes longer portion where we thread in the olive, supposedly to avoid having the channel blocked by olives or the hose. This was highlighted in TraceVelo video. Will give XG another chance before moving back to Shimano. Trying for a werightweenie build, so >50gr saving is tempting. Also, for the kind of riding I do, XG is plenty powerful already and have worked well for the past ~7000km for me.

Takiyaki

« Reply #1117 on: September 23, 2024, 04:07:18 PM »
I just got a set for my first hydro build... would not recommend. Got a pair, one seems to have a sticky piston. Dont wanna bother with rebuilding or w/e, I just ordered Ultegra.

elmtree

« Reply #1118 on: Today at 09:34:13 PM »
There's no way to switch which button is up and which is down on a given side, right? When sprinting I'm struggling to hit the rear button on the right to get a harder gear.