Author Topic: Carbonda CFR-696 (Flybike FM696) Gravel Frame  (Read 2709 times)

jstrawks

Carbonda CFR-696 (Flybike FM696) Gravel Frame
« on: September 26, 2023, 07:00:33 AM »
We don't seem to have a dedicated thread for this frame (and its variants), so I'm starting one.

Carbonda resells the Flybike FM696 as the CFR-696. ( https://www.flybike-asia.com/product/155.html )This frame is also sold by numerous other brands under various names. Some have different forks or bottom brackets. I'm told Flybike will do variants for a minimum order of 30 frames. Here are some of the bikes that use this frame:

Obed Boundary
Bombtrack Hook EXT-C
Ridley Kanzo Adventure
Vitus Substance
KHS Grit 440
Pearl Gravel XL
Boltcutter Peacemaker
Framed Basswood
On One Free Ranger
Cobalt Warhawk
De Rosa Gravel 2022
Pearson Off Grid
Kross Eskar 7.0

Do you have a Flybike FM696 in any of it's guises?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 07:13:32 AM by jstrawks »

jstrawks

Re: Carbonda CFR-696 (Flybike FM696)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 07:07:19 AM »
You can buy this frame from Obed in Tennessee for $1949. I bought a custom pained, 54cm model from Carbonda for $891 including shipping and Paypal fee.

I dealt with Katie again, as she was easy to work with on my CFR-1056. The time between payment and receiving a photograph of my was almost precisely the same as before.

Here's my frame, ready for shipment:

https://stylesdeluxe.com/ss/frame-paint.jpg

The colors are "Candy Red Metallic" (a Carbonda house color, not RAL), and RAL 7021, Black-Grey.

I have everything in hand for the build. I'm using the new SRAM Apex AXS 1x groupset. I'll document the build here.

kbernstein

Re: Carbonda CFR-696 (Flybike FM696) Gravel Frame
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 09:18:59 AM »
I've got one. Ordered in december. First self build and first gravel bike for me
The contact, painting, shipping and frame quality overall was good and I would trust carbonda again. I just got a little confused with the triple port piece because I ran full housing

Here is my full build specs, 2250€ in gravel setup with a powermeter and without accessories. 8.4kg without accessories iirc (weight might be a little off because I didn't weigh grease, sealant, chain was weighed uncut, forgot to weigh tires so used the advertised)
https://lighterpack.com/r/vejggg

I'm gonna be honest: Despite it being 95% finished for months, I don't ride it. I've taken it on a couple short test rides and I find the geometry very awkward. The stack is extremely low and I have more spacers than on my road bike and still don't have as much stack and the frame has a HORRIBLE toe overlap issue. No other words, it's atrocious. Don't understand how I had not seen anyone complain before I bought mine
I would go with carbonda again, but certainly not for a 696.

jstrawks

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 01:59:09 PM »
Toe overlap would be a concern, but the front center is 5mm longer than my CFR-1056. The rear center is 20mm longer, and the wheelbase is 25mm longer. With fatter tires the difference should be negated. On my 1056 I can make contact with my front wheel on very slow, very tight turns...and there's likely to be a few more of those on gravel.

Your build looks good. I'm sorry you're unhappy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:40:50 PM by jstrawks »

kubackje

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 01:57:27 AM »
The geometry is ok. Only thing I don't really understand in this frame and many other Chinese gravel bikes is the BB drop - just 67.thats a road bike level. A gravel bike should be at least 75-80. Also heard that this frame is not the most comfortable one.

kbernstein

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 02:45:34 AM »
Toe overlap would be a concern, but the front center is 5mm longer than my CFR-1056. The rear center is 20mm longer, and the wheelbase is 25mm longer. With fatter tires the difference should be negated. On my 1056 I can make contact with my front wheel on very slow, very tight turns...and there's likely to be a few more of those on gravel.

Your build looks good. I'm sorry you're unhappy.

For reference, I have 170mm cranks, size 44EU shoes with cleats as far forward as possible (which I don't even like), 46mm WAM tires on 700c rimes, size 54 frame. I had a road bike with some toe overlap before and it rarely bothered me, but on a gravel bike, even on my short time on it toe overlap is a big deal, sharp slow speed corners happen all the time. I can't even get out of my driveway on the bike, I have to carry it and place the bike on the street  :(

Another small regret I have with the frame is going overboard with painting. I asked for two chameleons fading. Realistically, you never notice it on the bike. You really have to walk around and play with angles to even notice it. I should have kept it simple with just a glossy color or two and spend the money elsewhere. But if you want some "elaborate" paint job, I'm happy to report their painters are skilled and the paint is well done. Just my taste to blame
Only very frustrating issue I had with building it was the front derailleur requiring the sticky plate on the frame, which is a pain to set up and could have easily been fixed if they had made a better FD mount.

My ultimate advice for anyone considering a 696 - have a serious look at the 707. I wrongly assumed the 707 would be racier and less comfortable than the 696 because it has internal cable routing
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/carbonda-696-2020-540,carbonda-cfr-707-2021-m/
Can't go wrong with carbonda, but if I had to buy again I would 100% get a 707 instead. With simpler custom paint

jstrawks

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 07:13:52 AM »
For reference, I have 170mm cranks, size 44EU shoes with cleats as far forward as possible (which I don't even like), 46mm WAM tires on 700c rimes, size 54 frame.

I've ordered a 54. I have 170mm cranks and 44.5 shoes with the cleats all the way back, and 43mm Panaracers on 700c. On my road frame, with a slightly different front-center (6.5mm longer) and 172.5 cranks I'll have 9mm more toe clearance, and it's not an issue on my road bike. If I was going riding on zig-zaggy singletrack I'd use a mountain bike. I'm not ready to worry about this until it turns out to be a problem for me.

jstrawks

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 07:15:58 AM »
The geometry is ok. Only thing I don't really understand in this frame and many other Chinese gravel bikes is the BB drop - just 67.thats a road bike level. A gravel bike should be at least 75-80. Also heard that this frame is not the most comfortable one.

I think you have road/gravel BB drop backwards. Less drop means a higher BB. My CFR-1056 has 75mm of drop. That's lower, not higher.

mirphak

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 07:22:34 AM »
Well, the 707 is racier. Longer reach, longer top tube. And while I agree that the stack is very low, the 696 is one of the highest in terms of stack/reach or stack/top tube of the usual gravel frames. The canyon ones are wayyyy lower in stack for instance.

I have the flyxii FE02 (also flybike) which is slightly more relaxed, but also with quite some spacers. If I had to build again a bike, I would go for the spcycle g058, it is one of the most relaxed I have seen
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:25:50 AM by mirphak »

kubackje

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 08:43:17 AM »
I think you have road/gravel BB drop backwards. Less drop means a higher BB. My CFR-1056 has 75mm of drop. That's lower, not higher.

I think you read it wrong. Where did I use term lower/higher? Gravel bikes should have bigger BB drop so lower BB for better offroad stability and planted feeling. That's why I don't get why some of those chineese gravels have a low bb drop like 67.this is a drop good for road not for geavel. I Hope you now understand it.

jstrawks

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 08:51:13 AM »
I understand the point you're making.

jstrawks

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2023, 07:04:16 AM »
For anyone here that uses the GCN app, my 696 is up for consideration in the 'bike vault'. If other 696 riders felt like giving it a "supernice" that would be appreciated. Cheers!

repoman

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 09:41:47 AM »

jstrawks

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2023, 10:00:01 AM »
Yes, that's a 696 with a press fit BB shell.