Author Topic: Super wide aero rims like ZIPP 303 XPLRs?  (Read 1046 times)

mtm

Re: Super wide aero rims like ZIPP 303 XPLRs?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2024, 04:21:22 AM »
Agree completely, I try to preach this, but seem to be mostly ignored on forums. For some reason people are obsessed with internal width, as if you can't run bigger tyres on narrower internal rims.

It's a big boon in all aspects of aero performance, and gives you more freedom in tyre choice. Western companies do seem to be aware of this, though to varying degrees. Obviously roval as you said, hunt went in a very similar direction and the new newmen rims aren't quite on the same level but still a decent bit of difference. I'm really curious for any new swiss side rim designs. Their current ones are ancient.

This might be close to what you're after :)

https://www.carbonbikekits.com/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-bike/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-rims-wheels/35mm-width-all-around-wheel

Serge_K

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2024, 05:46:51 AM »
This might be close to what you're after :)

https://www.carbonbikekits.com/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-bike/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-rims-wheels/35mm-width-all-around-wheel

37mm wide, and "optimised for 28-30mm wide tires". That's wild.
Who is behind that website? i've only seen it pop up on this forum a couple of times, they ve never been on my radar. How do they compare with the likes of farsports, light carbon & yuanan?
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

mtm

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2024, 06:08:23 AM »
I only have a TT disc wheel from them and it's been fine (very light, rides fine, quality seems good), though obviously hasn't ridden it as much as you would with a more standard wheel. A former team mate has gotten some wheels from there and says they've been fine.

Don't know who's behind the site, but I think most or all designs are open mould so I expect the same designs will show up in other places.