Author Topic: Best highend headset?  (Read 385 times)

Zeus

Best highend headset?
« on: October 11, 2024, 02:50:13 AM »
Hi all
Wich headset is the nicest and best quality for a size 1,5"/1,5" , maybe with a bit of a anodizing?
Its for a Carbonda 909

Cheers

Wet Noodle

Re: Best highend headset?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2024, 12:46:09 PM »
Is your actual question which is the least crappy solution (headset-wise) to internal cable routing? Or is it really just about a high-qualitiy 1,5" headset?

(Serious question. I'm not trying to be a smartass.)

jefflinde

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2024, 01:32:19 PM »
My longest lasting headset has been a $8 necco headset that came with my dengfu fat bike.  But if you want anodizing then just pick the color you like.  The bearing is going to be replaceable on all of them and most abandoned ones will come with nice bearings.  Long gone are the days of the cup and cone headset manufacturers making a difference in quality.  Personally the wolftooth performance one is as much as I would ever spend on a headset.  The free headsets have worked so well that I see no reason to spend more.  Bling your bike out with anodized spacers if that is your goal.

Zeus

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2024, 01:23:09 PM »
Is your actual question which is the least crappy solution (headset-wise) to internal cable routing? Or is it really just about a high-qualitiy 1,5" headset?

(Serious question. I'm not trying to be a smartass.)

I dont want cables in my headset - that is a nogo for me. Just want better bearings, and, if possible, anodized top (you know, the one between frame and stem/spacere) But not many makes that for 1,5"top

Wet Noodle

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2024, 02:12:22 PM »
I see, the issue is not that your looking for something decent to put cables through, but just a regular headset ...

So then, what IS the issue? If you want to splurge, wouldn't you find something to your liking from about every boutique cnc stuff brand out there?

Or is it that it has to be Chinese? If not, there is plenty. Reset Racing are pretty well regarded where I live (but so are Acros, CK and whathaveyou). I'm not talking value here (I mean, Ritcheys work just fine, too). Just, you said "the best" ...

Zeus

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2024, 02:07:52 PM »
Cant find any fancy stuff, maybe you have a link or something? ;-)
No Chisking, Wolftooth, Acros or Token or Canecreek..

Cheers

catdog

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:06:24 AM »
Cane creek hellbender is probably the highest end headset. Is it actually better than a series 40? Maybe if you keep the bike for 20 years.

Chris King also makes fancy ones.

Zeus

« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:29:37 AM »
Please show me then :-) Because they dont make for IS and 1,5"top, unless its dedicated for a specific stem..

jefflinde

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:40:04 AM »
What bike are you trying to get a headset for?  Is it an integrated headset where it is just the bearing or is there a cup that has to be pressed in?  If the cables go through the headset then you are going to be very limited on options outside the factory one. 

Zeus

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:04:06 PM »
Its a Carbonda 909, and as mentioned, I'm not running cables through the headset..
The bearing has no cup,and its 52mm i diam., up ad down