Author Topic: Experiences with Chinese steel frames?  (Read 250 times)

Fat Larry

« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 01:54:50 AM by Fat Larry »

tripleDot

Re: Experiences with Chinese steel frames?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2024, 10:53:14 PM »
I don't have any experience with either company/frames but there's already a number of Seaboard builts being reviewed here. Just read them.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2024, 04:54:39 AM »
given that steel is an inferior frame material, i assume you're looking at these for a particular reason, like a vibe, or the ability to do custom geometry? If i wanted a steel frame, i'd probably look locally for a boutique builder, if not an outright welder if you know your tube shapes. On alibaba the seaboard frames are almost free, whatever price you see on alix is going to be in LARGE part just shipping.
Or get a Peugeot 2nd hand or something like that from a million years ago?
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

s3si1u

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2024, 05:17:43 PM »
Quick plug for Marino steel frames: https://www.marinobike.com/categoria-producto/custom-frames/
They're in the same price ballpark as the ones you linked, but these are fully custom made in Peru to your geometry and specs. Their cheapest custom made gravel frame will run you about 350 USD plus shipping.
Their Reynolds 520 house gravel frame is only $379 plus shipping.

I have one of his custom gravel frames and can happily recommend. I don't think you can match this price point and quality for a custom frame.
Here's a quick shot of mine. It was 665 USD made with Reynolds 853. I think the price includes paint as well, but I took mine unpainted. Shipping was 145 USD. About 7 weeks from time of order to delivery.