Author Topic: Road Frames w/ Disc Brakes  (Read 3944 times)

masaudie

Road Frames w/ Disc Brakes
« on: March 29, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »
Hello y'all,

For the past 4-5 months I have been looking to built my first road bike. Currently I'm riding a singlespeed steel bike, and wanted to have proper road bike for weekend ride. I'm going to steer clear from well known brand, since with the concept in mind, the budget wouldn't allow. The idea probably close to Tarmac SL6 disc or Canyon Endurace.

This is whats I would prefer my bike to be:
- Disc brake system. Actually, there is no strong reason why I prefer disc brake over rim brake, just wanted to taste the extra capability like: consistency in all weather, wouldn't eats your rims.
- enough clearance for at least 28c tires
- under 500 USD

I found 3 frames that close to that criteria:

CarbonSpeed CS-092SL
As some of users here had succesfully build this frame with no problems, it would be my main choice. But it seems will only fit 25c tires.

Carbonda CFR 396
http://www.carbonda.com/road-frames/cfr396.html

Never seen anyone build this, highly interested with this one since it will accept 28c tires. Anyone had experience with the frame?

VeloBuild VB-R-057
http://www.velobuildmall.com/2018-new-carbon-fiber-road-frame-disc-brake_p0107.html

Haven't seen anyone building it.

In the aesthetic department, I would prefer the first 2.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Calvino

Re: Road Frames w/ Disc Brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
Smile Team ST-F119
Clearance for up to 40c tires. It is labeled as gravel-frame, so geometry should be really comfy. Though on the pics, it looks relatively sporty. Far from racy, but still sporty enough IMO.
Disc brake only, thru-axle or QR, tapered steering tube(you could theoretically use a MTB fork if ya wanted to :D), BB386(FSA afaik), Toray 1000 CF, 1000g in size small, you can opt for 650b weels with 2.1in tires, 70 headangle(as slack as my XC)

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/New-Modle-Carbon-Gravel-Bike-Gravel-Frame-with-700-40c-Tires-Cyclocross-Disc-Frame-with-Brake/32825306170.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.JVFMUI

masaudie

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 01:02:04 AM »
Smile Team ST-F119
Clearance for up to 40c tires. It is labeled as gravel-frame, so geometry should be really comfy. Though on the pics, it looks relatively sporty. Far from racy, but still sporty enough IMO.
Disc brake only, thru-axle or QR, tapered steering tube(you could theoretically use a MTB fork if ya wanted to :D), BB386(FSA afaik), Toray 1000 CF, 1000g in size small, you can opt for 650b weels with 2.1in tires, 70 headangle(as slack as my XC)

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/New-Modle-Carbon-Gravel-Bike-Gravel-Frame-with-700-40c-Tires-Cyclocross-Disc-Frame-with-Brake/32825306170.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.JVFMUI

Looks "aero", thanks @Calvino.

tlmadsen

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »
Hi Masaudie

I am very much looking like the same type of frame as you are.Did you get any further ?
BR
Thomas

masaudie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
Hi Masaudie

I am very much looking like the same type of frame as you are.Did you get any further ?
BR
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Funny enough, I ended up ordering none of any alternatives above, I'm going for Hong Fu FM088 (the disc version of their FM008). Race geometry, 28c tires, aesthetically pleasing. I can't find anyone using it online, but some people here in Jakarta already using it and they seem pleased.

Already paid for it, but since they're out of stock for my size (52) I need to wait 4 weeks. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Calvino

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »
If the frame arrives, make some shots.
I'm curious how the disc hongfu looks like.
Also a pic of the complete build of course ^^

masaudie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 01:34:16 AM »
The frame just arrived! Frame shipped on 17th May and arrived on 23th May.

Sure, probably gonna take some picture tommorrow.

Very excited!