Author Topic: Best chiner carbon wheelset for road?  (Read 5701 times)

samroy92

Best chiner carbon wheelset for road?
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
Hey guys i've been doing a lot of research out there and seen/heard a lot of horror stories. I like to climb a lot and as such do a lot of downhill too. I have heard decent things about Yoeleo, and good things about Farsports. Do you guys have any opinions/experience on this topic?

Thanks

lRaphl

Re: Best chiner carbon wheelset for road?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
I'm using a set of FarSport carbon wheels since 2013 and not a single problem with them. I use SwissStop Yellow King brake pads with them. They are also as true as when I got them new. Never had to touch the spoke tension. I went with the Ed Hubs and ceramic bearings. I just wish I went with the 38mm profile instead of the 24mm.

samroy92

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »
I'm using a set of FarSport carbon wheels since 2013 and not a single problem with them. I use SwissStop Yellow King brake pads with them. They are also as true as when I got them new. Never had to touch the spoke tension. I went with the Ed Hubs and ceramic bearings. I just wish I went with the 38mm profile instead of the 24mm.

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to know.

samroy92

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
I ordered the Farsports 38mm clincher (tubeless) 25mm wide wheelset. W/ Bitex hubs. I will post a pic when they arrive in a month.

Calvino

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
I had Ican 86mm wheeels for a month to test. Braking with the provided pads was...sufficient but not confidence inspiring. Quite stable in crosswinds, awsome sound/look and very stiff. Though on the heavy side with about 1850g they accelerate nicely. One thing was strange that the sideflex was in the corners so bad i actually rubbed the brake pads a few times. Mind you that im not a fast descender.
But weight, braking and sideflex aside i absolutely loved them. Especially with a aero frame

Jerryno

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
But weight, braking and sideflex aside i absolutely loved them.
This I don't understand much. What is left to love on wheelset that is heavy, brakes poorly and sideflexes? How can you love something so flawed?

Calvino

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »
Seems really strange, huh? Well i said braking is poor, but i'm used to excellent alloy rims or pretty powerfull Shimano deore disc brakes on my mtb so a lot is "pretty bad" in my opinion.
i don't think that the weight has such a impact since, as i said, the stiffness really makes up for it.
I mainly love them since im more of a aero-geek, so weight and cornering ability isn't all that importnat. Braking needs to be sufficient and not more. For mountians i use disc brakes or alloy rims
and it all sounds quite a bit exaggerated

samroy92

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »
Wheels came in yesterday.

Got the 25mm wide, 38mm deep tubeless clinchers. I couldn't get the tire to inflate! I tried all the tricks in the book and even took it to a bike shop with a compressor - they couldn't either! I bought the Maxxis 25C padrone TR tires. Anyway the shop tried another tire and it worked fine. So now I have another pair of tires on the way (this time 28C). Other than that I am super happy with the wheelset, the weight was about 1550-1600g so around what I was expecting. And the packaging was great, customer service also great.

Pics:
Because is ginormous on this forum... https://imgur.com/a/l9Ysu2W

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 03:36:31 AM »
Because is ginormous on this forum...

You can add a width in the img tag to make the picture smaller.
[ img width=800 ]https://i.imgur.com/4wraInf.jpg[ img ]
And you can click the image to zoom.

lRaphl

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
So you went tubeless if I understand well? Can you give us a little report about how you like it and also about the black prince brake pads please?

Thank you!

samroy92

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »
So you went tubeless if I understand well? Can you give us a little report about how you like it and also about the black prince brake pads please?

Thank you!

Yeah tubeless, so far it's painful because I can't get the tire inflated on the rim, I suspect the Maxxis Padrone TR's are just a bit too loose on this wheel. I ordered a compressor booster and a pair of Schwalbe tires so I will let you know once I get them all mounted up.

Calvino

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
For the money of a compressor booster you can almost get a cheap compressor. i got one for 80€ since i like to spraypaint much stuff and i knew that i had to switch to tubeless at least on the MTB.
I was really surprised that you chose the Maxxis tires for a road TL setup. I generally don't like Maxxis tires for some reason and have always liked Continental and Schwalbe.
I guess you will order the Schwalbe Pro One? If you want to have a ridicilously fast tire consider the Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR. Worlds fastest procudction tire. There is also the Hutchinson Galatik(or sth like that) but i hear ride quality is stiff and it's too expensive for it's performance

samroy92

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
I finally got the tires to mount. The trick I used.... Vaseline aka petroleum jelly aka might disintegrate the tire over time. I ran Vaseline along the inside of the wheels thoroughly, then the tire had enough seal or "stick" to hold air and pop onto the bead. Now I am going to let them sit, take them off, clean all the Vaseline, and then see if they can be mounted easier on their own. If not - Schwalbe it is..

samroy92

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
I went with the Schwalbe 28mm tires. My speed feels about the same, I think the 28mm tires are heavier but its countered by the lighter wheels. Over the ride was really comfy and feels much more planted. The wheel+tire combo feels smooth as butter. Very happy so far with the chiner wheel purchase!

Pics:

samroy92

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »