Author Topic: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.  (Read 75979 times)

MTNRCKT

Re: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
Really loved all of your really clever and innovative pieces that you made through the build, as well.  Love the custom axle nut.

There's a thread with a guy selling them if you're wanting one: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,306.0.html

I agree though, great build thread Vipassana!

cmh

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »
Yeah, saw that, and it'll depend on which bike I wind up with - if I get one with a TA, def. gonna be looking at one of those.

JohnnyNT

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2014, 04:34:51 AM »
What's the QFactor of the cranks  (long or short spindle)? wondering if with 168mm the 36T chainring would fit..

Vipassana

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
The cracks we used were 168mm q-factor with a 32T ring.  I think there is run for a 34T, but I'm not certain. 36T might be pushing it. Plus you'd need some legs for a 36T on the climbs!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:55:59 AM by Vipassana »

JohnnyNT

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
I've always been a low cadency rider. Probably will take 34T spiderless Oval ...

Digi

« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2014, 01:21:39 AM »
For this build I gathered some tools.  The first was a small torque wrench.  I will write review on this unit in the Components subforum at a later date.  But in a nut shell, it's good enough, but not great.  I would buy something else next time.

I'm needing a torque wrench ASAP.  On the short, what did you not like about the Venzo?

MTB2223

« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2014, 02:24:43 AM »
I've got the same torque wrench and there is nothing wrong with this tools. Small, easy to use. Would buy it again. Maybe not a professional tool, but for occasionally use it's perfect.

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-2-24-nm-torque-wrench/aid:688277

JohnnyNT

« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2014, 04:58:46 AM »
Could you tell me what are your (approximate) brake cable lengths in your build(s) ? Got really nice offer on R1's and I'm wondering if 65/156 cm front/rear will be enough.

brmeyer135

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
Those should be long enough for a 19" as new brakes usually come with 1600 and 1000 front....front may be close
If those are 2012 or older you may think twice about them....very little tolerance for brake disc in the caliper

JohnnyNT

« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »
Yeah, know this issue. Still, with thru axle taking wheel in and out should be more repeatable once set they will serve, I hope.

brmeyer135

« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »
Thinking further - look for thin disc's....off the top of my head I know the quaxar iris I have I chose initially because they are light but also because they were thin (1.7 vs. a lot of discs are 2).  I was initially wanting a set of Formula R1s.

Sjon7283

« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2014, 05:27:37 AM »
How is your headset holding up? I also had some "movement trouble" on the top bearing.

Cnasta

« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
Vipassana: Great builds. Loving the blue/orange one and the glossy/matt-back best!

Do you have more pictures of the glossy/matt black bike? Loving the look and thinking about stealing it :) Other side of the world (Netherlands), so I recon the owner won't mind :)

Gonna get the same fork as you got (xmi carbon). Guess glossy outside and matt inside would look best on the glossy/matt frame (glossy what is blue on your fork). Agree?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:08:29 AM by Cnasta »

Vipassana

« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »

Could you tell me what are your (approximate) brake cable lengths in your build(s) ? Got really nice offer on R1's and I'm wondering if 65/156 cm front/rear will be enough.

Sorry, I missed this question. Do you still need the lengths? I can measure them today if you do.

How is your headset holding up? I also had some "movement trouble" on the top bearing.

Headset is holding up great.  No issues that I can detect. It worked itself ever so slightly loose the other day, but a quick loosening of the stem and tightening of the top bolt corrected everything.  I also had a fall on the trail and rotated the handlebars inline with the front wheel so I had to fix it by the side if the trail, that's probably why it worked it's way loose.

Vipassana: Great builds. Loving the blue/orange one and the glossy/matt-back best!

Do you have more pictures of the glossy/matt black bike? Loving the look and thinking about stealing it :) Other side of the world (Netherlands), so I recon the owner won't mind :)

Gonna get the same fork as you got (xmi carbon). Guess glossy outside and matt inside would look best on the glossy/matt frame (glossy what is blue on your fork). Agree?

I'm sorry, but I actually don't have anymore pictures if the gloss/matte black frame.  At least bit clean, close-up photos.  I can tell you that the effect is very subtle, hardly noticeable, but still nice.  I ink mate on the inside of the fork would be good as the gloss paint, without some form of protection will scratch and chip as sand and rocks hit it from the tires.  My matte paint is holding up incredibly well actually.  The red and blue gloss bike is holding up extremely well too, but that was a professional paint job using automotive grade paints and clear coats. 

The best thing I can recommend, no matter what paint you choose is to buy some of the protective, thick, vinyl tape.  That stuff has saved our paint from damage countless times.  Do the bottom of the down tube, inside if the chain and seat stays, seat post where your bad sits, handlebars where your computer/light sits, etc.  Well with the money. Just remember, the tape is glossy and will make matte paint appear glossy.  It isn't very obvious though.

Vipassana

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »
Hi Vipassana, are you happy with the IP-SP7 seatpost?

Is it easy to setup to the right angle?
And does it keep it well?

I missed this too; man, I'm bad at responding... :-[

I have had zero issues with the seat post. It crashed just a bit at first, but a spot of grease on three contact points between the aluminum parts fixed it and it's been silent for hundreds of miles now. It hold position perfectly.  On three first ride, it dripped into the frame a bit, but a gritty carbon paste and checking torque fixed that immediately.

My boss just got his in gloss 3k finish and it looks incredible. 

This post is ultra light and well worth the cost.