Author Topic: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.  (Read 75984 times)

Patrick C.

Re: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
Is "burn and bred" is a typo or a common Arizona saying?  :)

Vipassana

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
Ha! Yeah, a typo but this time of year maybe it's subconsciously what I meant.

turboenterprise

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
What saddle did you go with?

Vipassana

« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »
I actually haven't bought a saddle for this bike yet. I grabbed the cheap Velo/Fuji OEM saddle off my cross/road bike and threw it on the bike. It works OK.  Not great, but fine until I find something better. My buddy went with a Ritchey WCS in white.

turboenterprise

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
Nice STi by the way as well.  30r ? rotated? I have an 04 built for road racing.

Vipassana

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
Thanks!  It's actually a Spec-C Ver. 8 EJ207 with functioning AVCS (tricky with this motor on the 32-bit USDM cars), 8500 rpm redline.  Turning a cute little ball-bearing, twin-scroll VF-36.  My last setup was a build EJ255 with a 30r.  The old setup was wicked fast.  The new setup is a bit slower, but really fun to drive and revs for days.

I think I recognize your username from NASIOC?

turboenterprise

« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
Oh wow. Nice.  Its been a while since I have been on those forums but I was on IWSTI more.

Ken4

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »

I encountered three problems with the bike:

1) The brake line inside the downtube was LOUD.  Thwack! over every bump. And the whole carbon frame acted as an amplifier. :unamused:  I fixed this last night with about $0.10 worth of foam pushed into the down tube.  It pins the brake line against the tube so that it can't hop around.  Dead silent now even if I drop the bike from two feet in the air.

2) The headset loosened up some and was creaking from time to time.  Last night I disassembled it and greased the contact points between the headset bearings and the frame/steerer tube.  It seems silent now so we'll have to see how it does with trail abuse this week.

3) My seat post dropped about 0.5" over the course of the ride.  Not enough that it impacted my riding, but it felt a bit "off".  I will apply some more gritty carbon paste and retighten it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for these great tips. My new IP-256SL rode beautifully the first time out

blueducati

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
Thanks for all the details you put into this thread, it's really going to help me with my 256 build. I love the color scheme on your "Gulf" bike. I have a Cervelo S2 road bike that is black with blue lettering, so I plan to do something like you did with the black and blue to match it. I hope it turns out as good as yours did!

Sjon7283

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
How are the wheels holding?

Vipassana

« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the compliment. This week I'll install the carbon fork and new seat.

The wheels are holding up really well. Color me impressed. They are super stiff and are still as true as the day I got them. The only issue I've had and this is not really with the wheels, but they got some stone chips on them from transporting them being the car without mud flaps. I need to install some mud flaps soon.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »
Keep your carbon wheels away from any hot exhaust on your car.  Ask me how I know :(.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2014, 02:10:25 AM »
I knew that much thanks to you! I bought a trailer hitch extender to move the wheels away from the exhaust. But the rock chips, though minor, were a bummer. They're definitely the result of some dirt road excursions in the Forester. Mud flaps are in order.

cmh

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
Wow, what a thorough writeup, it was fun to read through that!  Thanks for putting as much effort into the writeup as you did the build!

One comment I could make is re: the Stan's injector.  I've got one, always found it to be a pain in the ass.  What I find to be far more effective is Stan's own little 2oz bottles.  I've bought six or so of them, and each holds exactly one "standard sized" dose of sealant, so there's no need to measure it out.  Take out the valve core (stan's tool for that is great) and then shoot the sealant in directly from the sharp tip of the little bottle.  Then refill it from a big container of Stan's.  Easy peasy, so much less work than the injector.

Really loved all of your really clever and innovative pieces that you made through the build, as well.  Love the custom axle nut.

Finally, I didn't see any photos which really demonstrate the rear tire clearance with the 2.25" Ralphs.  Could you post one?  I've run 2.4" Ralphs in the past and love them but very few of my current frames clear them.  Mounted on a set of ZTR Arch wheels, they're about 58mm in the casing and almost 61mm across the knobs.  They "clear" on some of my frames, but any type of out-of-the-saddle shenanigans results in rubbing, which is not good.

Thanks again!

carbonazza

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
Hi Vipassana, are you happy with the IP-SP7 seatpost?

Is it easy to setup to the right angle?
And does it keep it well?