11 (64.7%)
iPhone but I'm considering switching.
1 (5.9%)
Android but I'm considering switching.
0 (0%)
iPhone is for girly man.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: iPhone or Android??  (Read 9704 times)

Rigid_Bloke

iPhone or Android??
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
So while I love my current iPhone 4s, I'm due for an upgrade and those huge bright Android screens are calling out to me.

So, what's your preference? 

Sitar_Ned

Re: iPhone or Android??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
Android all the way for me, LG G2 to be exact.

About the only thing I'd consider switching too is the Nexus 5 for the bare bones Android OS, but the screen on my G2 is just absolutely ridiculous. It comes preloaded with some HD videos that literally look 3D. Everyone is always amazed when I show them those vids. Probably one of the most impressed I've been with a piece of tech gear is the G2's screen. The button on the backside I highly prefer as well.

flanglian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:55:50 AM »
My 4S contract expired last November. It still works perfectly. I didn't upgrade to a snazzy new phone because the 4G network doesn't extend to our neck of the woods yet (only 3-4 miles away which is frustrating!). I'm on a rolling monthly plan and just waiting to see what the next gen iPhone looks like in September. 

manmythlegend

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
Honestly you cant go wrong with either.
Once iphones come out with larger screensizes even less to worry about as any choice will be good. However there are distinctions worth knowing. iPhones are very much made to be simplistic and APP driven.  Where as Android phones will do far more out of the box than an iPhone and have virtually limitless possibilities in terms of customizing.
Its honestly like asking should I get a HT or FS. Without knowing your likes , habits , and trails its hard to tell.  If forced to make a comparison iPhone is getting a brand new carboned out Scott or S works bike while Android is very much like putting together a carbon custom.

Video watching , picture taking , picture and web media sharing , social networking , work needs , file management needs , other devices etc etc. Give an idea of what your current needs are and what youve heard other people do you may want to do.

Heck neither may be the right choice. If you're a shopaholic Amazons firephone may be right also.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:57:26 AM by manmythlegend »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
I've always had a good experience with my iPhones (4S, 5) and have stuck with the Apple biosphere.  We have a Macbook Pro, two iPads, and one iPod (never thought I'd see dedicated MP3 players go obsolete but they pretty much are).  My iPhone does everything I could want or need it to do.  I like working on bikes, I don't like fiddling with my phone.  My iPhone just works, never locks up, has really good battery life, nice size, good camera.

I had one Android phone before my 4S, I won't go into details but it was a less than stellar experience.

From what I've read, the iPhone 6 will have a larger, brighter screen as an option.  They will have two sizes available.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Chadding

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
So true about the obsolete mp3 players. I literally probably have about 7 or 8 random ipods and other mp3 players just sitting around doing nada.

I vote Android. Hardware (screen size) is just so much better. Apple OS is very sleek and refined though, and there total biosphere is just as refined. Simple and beautiful to use.. But come on.. thos big screens just make the Iphone look like a toy.

Izzy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »
Voted Android.

Apple's software is very nice and "seamless" if that makes sense, but they are closed platform so innovation seems to take longer. I'm a pretty big tech fan. Here's Google's latest I/O conference - Watch the vid if you get a chance. Good stuff.

Funny stat from the vid:

93 million selfies are taken on Android phones daily
30 million of those are duck faces

I have never taken a selfie or a pic with a duck face. lol.

They are launching the Android One phone, a smart phone for under a hundred bucks, and they are aiming them directly at countries like India, Africa, etc. How big will the Google monster grow.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:29 PM »
I've watched parts of that vid already. And it is good but the whole thing is 3 hours long and full of a lot of stuff that is only interesting if you're a developer or designer.. Here's a good summary: http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/5842050/the-most-important-things-google-announced-at-i-o

The smart watches are getting pretty close to being wearable, maybe even there already. I'm really surprised Apple hasn't attacked the smart watch market at all. One of the things they show in the video is your smart watch will act like your micro chipped car key that unlocks your car automatically when that specific key is close by.. If you have your watch on, your phone will recognize the watch and won't require you to unlock it. Take the watch off and you will have to enter your password or pin to unlock the phone. Thought that was pretty cool.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »
A huge number of young people, do not wear watches anymore.  They have grown up with a phone in their pocket and feel they don't want or need to wear something on their wrist.  The smart watch has already been available on and off for years, so far it has not taken off.  Possibly when Apple comes out with theirs later this year, they will sell a bunch but it's an gadget that's an accessory to another gadget, just don't see it being all that popular no matter how cool it looks.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Inertia

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:00:37 AM »
Hello again,
My angle on the phone thing is a must see:

Chadding

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
Hello again,
My angle on the phone thing is a must see:

Lol. Every forum needs at least one wild card member, I suppose. Never know what you're going to post, Inertia.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
A huge number of young people, do not wear watches anymore.  They have grown up with a phone in their pocket and feel they don't want or need to wear something on their wrist.  The smart watch has already been available on and off for years, so far it has not taken off.  Possibly when Apple comes out with theirs later this year, they will sell a bunch but it's an gadget that's an accessory to another gadget, just don't see it being all that popular no matter how cool it looks.

Hmm... I do see your points, and they are logical but I gotta disagree.. I think tons of people will buy them, and they will replace cell phones for many uses and applications.

manmythlegend

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
I have a Galaxy Gear watch and the proximity unlock is such a time and thumb saver. Google alluded to different methods like detecting your voice to know you are the one holding the phone.

As for wearables itll take time. People have been buying fitbits and Fuelbands in droves....not really using them much but still they are buying them. Apple is extremely late to the game but fortunately for them traction is non existent as the aesthetics of these watches if putrid as a whole. I love mine but its really not for everyone. The Gwatch is ugly as sin. The Gear fit is better in pictures than in person. Moto360 with the roundface will be first really "Watch" like one that may actually be stylish. Apple will surely come out with something very plain but sexy that the masses will suddenly hail as a must have. We're just currently in a feeling out period. Everyone wants a wrap around all screen watch on there wrist...we aren't there yet. Maybe apple will force everyones hand.

As for Android. Nothing really intense as far as features were shown for phones but the UI is again taking huge leaps while iOS is stagnant.

Inertia

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
 8)
Once again very good comments.
In retrospect I carried my basic Nokia even after
the providers nasty disconnect letter. I found
additional battery packs to keep it going then one day
an individual gave me an upgrade. The out dated flip phone
was moved sideways and without contract using my ol'number
I still had my connection. I did no texting except for unusual matters
of safety. Then a family member shared w/me the great nature of savings
but more so the state of the art device; and
although not an Android base thing It's opened up a world of connectivity
and access to pod casts etc. (big Audio user) The learning curve on my part is still
at introductory levels But the audio performance of just the ear buds equals or exceeds
some of my few better headphones. It's always exciting to rehear all matter of stuff especially
little guitar or vocal or a noise from a drumstick too. From monks chanting to Hammond B-3 riffs
to hot Les Paul runs are really unbelievably clean.

Consumers will drive these items as currently established by this survey. But at the same time science too
has ideas and I think further miniaturization is the quest. Projected to the point that as in just as few as 10-15 years
injectable data bases enabled to diagnose our internal issues in real time environment.

In closing the device in my pocket during the late 60's would fill
the fuselage of a mid sized DC 10? Going along would up on our desktops and now
reside in hand or pocket. it's amazing!
well time to 'fly off'

ovr-n-out

Patrick C.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

Just like the three wheel car, these ideas have been around a long time.  I think the watches won't really take off until they can replace a phone, and they can somehow overcome the small screen.