Author Topic: 29er frame dropout size issues  (Read 1363 times)

ashwally

29er frame dropout size issues
« on: July 05, 2018, 01:03:46 AM »
Hi all, I realize this is my first post, I have been a long time lurker and finally took the plunge and ordered a frame direct from China.

So after waiting since 9th April I received my 19" frame with 12x142 rear axle from a well known Chinese vendor :)

I tried to mount the rear wheel and it was very,very loose, I measure across the dropouts and it comes close to 147mm ???

I have contacted the vendor and sent photos, however they have said the frame was measured before shipping and is a 142mm frame. To give you some background when they first received my frame from the factory it came with 148mm spacing and they needed to order a new rear triangle with 142mm spacing.

To my mind that is way out of spec, I assume this would be a boost 148 frame, just wondering if anyone else has had this same issue, or has any thoughts on this?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:45:54 AM by ashwally »

samroy92

Re: 29er frame dropout size issues
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
Put when you tighten up the thru-axle does it cinch itself? There will be some play in the rear dropouts, try tightening the axle. If you can tighten the axle without something sounding like its breaking - definitely spacing issue.

adbl

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
When i put my M06 together i did have a little play between the axle and the dropouts. Maybe 2-3 mm at the most. What you are dealing with is way too much play. I don't believe it is a 148 boost triangle. It's most likely a 142 triangle with too much clearance  :-X

As was suggested, can you get everything to tighten up? If so you might want to use it that way and inform the seller that if you have any issues what so ever, the triangle is going back to them foc!!! Make sure you document any communication with them!

ashwally

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:03:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I can fit the wheel and tighten it all the way, the triangle just bends to accommodate. I don't really hear any noises when doing so, however I'm not comfortable with the long term longevity as the triangle is one piece. It's not worth ending up in hospital if it fails.

At this stage I have't had any logical response from the manufacturer.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:07:24 PM by ashwally »

samroy92

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 06:06:57 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I can fit the wheel and tighten it all the way, the triangle just bends to accommodate. I don't really hear any noises when doing so, however I'm not comfortable with the long term longevity as the triangle is one piece. It's not worth ending up in hospital if it fails.

At this stage I have't had any logical response from the manufacturer.

Mine does the same thing, it's boost so about 150mm or so then it tightens down with the axle. CS-496. I don't think its an issue, but I could be wrong.