Author Topic: Help  (Read 1913 times)

woodsrider

Help
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
Building up a CS-057 frame.  The bolt holes for the rear brake caliper are making me nervous.  I can't start the bolts by hand to tell if they are starting straight and I don't want to force them.

Any ideas?

samroy92

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:47:10 PM »
Building up a CS-057 frame.  The bolt holes for the rear brake caliper are making me nervous.  I can't start the bolts by hand to tell if they are starting straight and I don't want to force them.

Any ideas?

Maybe put some oil or grease on the bolt and hole so that it can move easily, so as to not strip it.

woodsrider

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »

Any ideas?

Maybe put some oil or grease on the bolt and hole so that it can move easily, so as to not strip it.

Tried that already - didn't help.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 05:50:16 AM »
I would try gently with a M5 tap, it is quite cheap to try.
Or probably better... a local bike shop that you trust

woodsrider

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
I ended up just getting the bolts as straight as possible and putting an allen wrench on them.  One was stiff the whole way but felt like it was in line with the threads.  The other was hard the whole way but made up.  Not really happy about the poor quality but I guess that's the trade-off for the big $ savings.