Author Topic: Ican p9 build 29er build  (Read 31822 times)

YEEPYEEP

Ican p9 build 29er build
« on: December 20, 2018, 12:45:50 AM »
Hello,
Been lurking around the forums and have decided to document my build. Previously had a 2016 Norco sight a7.2 and wanted to upgrade to a norco range. Down here in Australia, a norco range carbon frame with a shock is 3.4k AUD. Did abit of googling and found out about the ICAN p9, figured it was pretty much a norco range itself. Was a bit hesitant on the whole Chinese carbon thing and was going to buy a 2nd hand aluminium frame instead. Saw that Evolve bikes use the same frame, smashing it down whistler and surviving through those trails. I'll be fine here in Australia. There are afew good builds here on the website and this will ultimately just be another one. I'll try and note all my issues along the way.
SO.....
Ordered the frame on the 14th of December and received it yesterday (19/12/18). I'm 183cm , 80-82kg with gear and ordered a large frame.

The components thats gonna be on the bike are:

- 2016 lyrik rct3 27.5 fork with Luftkappe - its currently at 150mm.
- Cane Creek inline coil with a 500LB Valt spring - The bushings for the shocks are 22.2x8mm, this is for the top and the bottom...... update 2019: the bushings are 22x8mm the extra .2 cause for the supplied washers not to fit so that was my mistake!
- OEM headset - Will be using the supplied headset but will change to cane creek 40 in the future when it needs replacing.
- Shimano XT 1x11 shifter and rear derailleur
- E13 trs+ crankset with a 34T ring (also using e13 BSA BB)
- Sunrace 11-46 rear cassette
- Shimano XT dual piston brakes ( front and rear)
- Shimano XT Icetech Rotors 180mm (Front and rear)
- Brand X 150mm, 30.9 dropper post with a wolf tooth dropper remote.
- Currently do not have a bar or stem
- Hope DH rim 27.5 front and rear with hope pro 4 hubs. Waiting for boost adapters for the rear.
- Maxxis DHF 2.5wt Front
- Maxxis Griffin 2.3 DD rear. Not running tubeless as of yet for front and rear.

I know the frame is a 29er but i'm going to try my best to reuse most of my items and spend minimal $$$. The front will be 27.5 and the rear will be 27.5+. Hopefully down the track with some spare cash i'll go 29er wheels and fork. Ican has available the Super deluxe RC3 in 210x55, i really wanted the RCT air or the super deluxe coil but they have neither. I know some of the other guys have ran different rear shock sizes but even in Australia, theres barely any sizes ( 210x55 is still a oem size, rockshox/fox says that orders are coming through next year for dealers). I've had a CC inline air on the norco sight and it was fantastic, just wanted to see what the fuss is about coil. DVO topaz air/coil was available but its 790AUD without mounting hardware or spring ( extra 70AUD for mounting and 100? for spring). Kind of wanted a coil with a piggyback but its just too expensive for me right now(Cane creek Coil CS is 899AUD). Fox DPX2 and DPS are both 799 AUD so a bit out of the $ range so i settled with the CC coil IL for 600AUD. The front fork is currently at 150mm, the recommended is 150-160mm for 29 wheels. If i'm using 27.5 wheels, what would be the recommended fork length now?

This build will take sometime as its christmas time and funds aren't readily available. I'll try and keep this forum updated as much as possible.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:33:39 PM by YEEPYEEP »

Sitar_Ned

Re: Ican p9 build 27.5
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »
Looking forward to following the build, YEEP! Solid choices for frame and components imo

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:11:56 PM »
Looking forward to following the build, YEEP! Solid choices for frame and components imo

Will try my best to keep this updated! Reading other threads about the low bb height and now looking for possible BB protectors. Was gonna go the tire route but want something abit cleaner. Found out about kydex, just scared that if i heat the kydex to 250 and put it on to mold that it will do something to the carbon resin. Can anyone chime in on this?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:23:35 PM by YEEPYEEP »

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
little update....

Hope everyone had a nice christmas. Been waiting for parts to come in from chain reactions and still deciding on the whole 29er route. Gonna still be abit busy for the next week or so but heres a quick mock up of the bike so far. A problem that came up is the bolt spacers for the shock doesn't fit( specifically the lower, top is fine). Going to have to go to a bolt master to find 0.1mm smaller. Will hopefully continue in the next few days.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »
Spent the whole day putting the bike together. Missing the 180mm post adapter for the front and rear, also waiting for the rear boost spacers. Still on the lookout for 29 rims and forks.

emu26

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
Hi Yeep, did you get hit for GST bringing the frame in?  I haven't imported over $100 since the rules changed.

Thanks

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »
Hi Yeep, did you get hit for GST bringing the frame in?  I haven't imported over $100 since the rules changed.

Thanks
I didn't get charged gst amazingly. Just ordered a new fork the bike, might not be so lucky this time round

emu26

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:58 AM »
Seems to be a bit hit and miss at the moment. Some of the bigger european online shops claim they are including GST but I'm not sure how that is working either.

YEEPYEEP

Re: Ican p9 build 29er build
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
Update....
The whole 27.5 idea didn't last too long. Was scared that the bottom backet is too low with the 27.5 wheels and i may as well try the whole 29er thing. Was just browsing around for forks that were under the 8-900aud mark. Some options that came up were used 2016-2018 fox 36s, pikes and lyricks ( please remeber i'm located in australia). I Really wanted to try something different, also bang for buck and what came up were xfusion and sr suntour. Forks such as manitou, marzohhi, dvo, mrp, cc helm, ohlins are all above the 1k mark when including taxes and shipping. Somehow came across the sale on the suntour website and got a sr suntour durolux 29er for 525usd shipped to Aus. Also had to also buy a boost chain ring as the ring now is a wee bit close to the chainstay. Will pop on the 27.5 wheels with adaptors on for now but will be on the look out for 29er wheels. 

emu26

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:39:23 AM »
Please measure bb height with the 27.5 wheels on.  I know what you mean about the price of forks, I have been looking at a new frame for a while now everything has become so expensive down under.  Just missed a few good deals on sydney mtb face book page  for some 2nd hand forks but the well priced stuff goes so quickly.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14:40 AM »
Please measure bb height with the 27.5 wheels on.  I know what you mean about the price of forks, I have been looking at a new frame for a while now everything has become so expensive down under.  Just missed a few good deals on sydney mtb face book page  for some 2nd hand forks but the well priced stuff goes so quickly.

Will measure the height when the spacers come in :). Small world, I'm on the page as well. Selling the Lyrik as we speak. Might sell the wheels as well.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 03:22:33 AM »
Just got some used 29 Dt swiss m1900 30mm ID wheels. Got them for 380aud with tyres already tubeless( dhf front, aggressor rear). Might get some fancy wheels later. Still waiting for fork and boost ring to come in, also had to buy a rear thru axle from ican.
Also bought a piece of kydex to make a downtube protector, still abit scared that the heat from the kydex may destroy the carbon resin but i may just put alot of paper/tea towels. Will take lots of photos during the process....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:43:15 PM by YEEPYEEP »

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:06 PM »
Still waiting for parts........ But decided to do the small gritty stuff for the bike. Bought 1m of 3M vinyl for the bike. Only did the top,head and down tube. For the chain stay, i'll most likely use a old tyre. Decided to do the kydex even though i was scared it would destroy the carbon.  1st attempt i measured about 12cm across and about 30cm long. Accidentally left the kydex in the oven for too long and it kind of shrunk the kydex. 2nd attempt i only cut it about 7cm across and 25cm length. I know this doesn't cover the sides of the down tube but it's impossible to have a smooth product due to the bend( or maybe i'm just bad). The product didn't turn out oem like but its close enough for me and it'll do the job. Will just need to sand the edges. p.s YES the carbon did heat up abit but not so hot that i had to worry !!!!!. The kydex was heated at 170'c for 3 mintues, i found this the best temperature to mold.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 02:21:26 AM »
Been waiting for parts and i do have majority of them. Waiting on some small 3m stickers and need double sided tape/zip ties to hold the down tube protector. But for now its looking good.
I didn't get to measure the bb height for the 27.5 but for 29 wheels it's currently at 347mm( from the ground to the middle of crank bolt). P.s buying the boost ring did help alot. More clearance just for insurance.

Initial impressions
Just from riding around the street, this thing is going to fly, feels alot more stable then the norco sight( the p9 has a more "updated" geometry). The coil so far feels very planted and it doesn't feel as heavy as everyone makes it out to be(this also isn't a weight weenies build). The durolux feels sooo good and i have't put any oil in them yet. I'll make another post once i've taken it to the tracks but so far so good!

Parts on the bike as of today:
- Ican p9 Large frame
- Dt swiss m1900 29 boost wheels
- Maxxis DHF 2.5 wt front, Maxxis aggressor 2.3 rear ( both are tubeless )
- Sr suntour durloux 29 boost RC2-PCS fork - 160mm
- Cane creek inline coil - 210x55, 2.25x500 valt spring
- Nukeproof black horizon stem , 50mm, 31.8mm
- Nukeproof seat 34.9 clamp (copper colour)
- Nukeproof Horizon saddle( copper rails)
- Nukeproof Horizon Riser Bar Copper, 780mm, 31.8mm, 25mm rise
- Nukeproof Horizon pedals( black)
- E-thirteen BSA BB
- E-thirteen TRS+ 170mm crank with 32T Boost ring
- Brand x 150mm 30.9 dropper post with Wolf Tooth Dropper remote
- Shimano XT BR-M8020 Front and rear brakes
- Shimano 180mm ice tech rotors
- Shimano XT 11 derailleur
- Sunrace 11-46 cassette
- KMC X11EL 11 Speed Chain Gold
- ODI Rogue Lock-On (black)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:00:44 AM by YEEPYEEP »

Verbl Kint

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »
Bike looks hot!  How does she ride?

EDIT:

Did you choose to get a shorter offset fork?  I saw on the CAD drawings that the recommended offset was 42mm.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:32:46 PM by Verbl Kint »