Author Topic: Ican p9 build 29er build  (Read 31828 times)

YEEPYEEP

Re: Ican p9 build 29er build
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 06:29:25 AM »
Bike looks hot!  How does she ride?

EDIT:

Did you choose to get a shorter offset fork?  I saw on the CAD drawings that the recommended offset was 42mm.

Thanks!! think the bike turned out really well. Had 2 rides so far and the 1st was horrible ahaha. I had too much psi and was using about 40% of the forks travel. Currently running 60 psi with 1 volume spacer and the front fork feels alot better! still tuning the suspension but so far so good. I must say that i really enjoy the 29 wheels, yes i lose that playful flick but i enjoy the feel of going over bumps like nothing! I'll use the term planted for this bike, could also be the addition of the rear coil. The bike climbs amazingly well, on par to my norco sight i reckon. I can't go into too much detail  of geometry of the bike due to being new to this sport.

I also went into panic mode when i saw the 42mm offset as i ordered a 51mm, till this day i'm still not sure which is correct...... i've got 2 files from ican and one showed 42 as you said and another was 51. I honestly don't know how it will affect the head angles and heights etc but just from the feel of the bike at the moment i can't complain one bit (was reading on forums that alot of the geometry specs on the p9 are not what is says??? maybe someone can chime in).

Also had a annoying squeak, thought it was the cane creek coil. Turned out that the bearing on the rear triangle was dry as hell. All fixed with abit of grease 8). Still nervous about riding a carbon bike especially after a alloy one. The down tube protector i made makes the bike makes it feel alot safer. Components aside, i really do enjoy this frame. It climbs well and descends like a dream. I don't have any experience with alot of bikes and wish i could give you alot of detail into how the bike ride but for now this is the best thing ever :D :D. I was thinking of making a short youtube video of me explaining the bike, my components and how the bike feels from a beginner ( my typing is fairly bad  ;D)

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »
Update ride impression......
So i've been riding the bike for about 2-3 months now and have a solid feel for the bike. Been riding this setup (Ican p9 + 29er boost wheels + 51mm offset durolux fork 160mm) for the majority of the time and can say that it's just a rocket. If you are the rider who likes to go super dooper fast then i highly recommend this setup. The rear coil just plants the bike on any track and if you like this kind of riding, id recommend a rear coil.

After riding it for a few weeks i started to understand what i riding style i like and its more towards the poppy/playful feel. To help me with this i switched to the 27.5 wheels. My 27.5 wheels are non boost, had to get adapters and dish the wheels to centre them. So now the setup is 29er 51mm fork 160mm with a 27.5 wheels. The bottom bracket dropped about 15mm or so ( 332mm bb) and i was scared that it wouldn't clear anything. Throwing the 27.5 wheels on i felt more comfortable and more in control. The 29er wheels felt big, big enough for me not to feel confident when leaning into turns. I would like to try a air shock to see if that helps with making the bike more playful( i bought the inline coil believing i would mess with all those dials but i really didn't). Looking into the suntour tri air but they only have 210x50, not sure if theres a big difference between that and 210x55. Or i might pull the plug on a super deluxe rct, fox dpx2 or dvo topaz t3.

emu26

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Are the 27.5's plus or not?

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 10:57:31 PM »
Are the 27.5's plus or not?
27.5 wheels are orignally non plus.

emu26

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 02:02:47 AM »
Not sure if the rims will take it or not but if you go to plus then you'll pick up a little more BB clearance.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »
Digging that coil shock, you selling it when you replace it with air?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:47:49 PM by Sitar_Ned »

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 02:32:21 AM »
Not sure if the rims will take it or not but if you go to plus then you'll pick up a little more BB clearance.

yeah the rims probably won't. ID of the hope dh rims are like 27mm so i the wt 2.5 maxxis is probably solid.

Digging that coil shock, you selling it when you replace it with air?

Might keep it, heard we are getting some Graviy tracks soon.

scourge

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 01:41:16 AM »
I love this bike. Nice job.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »
I love this bike. Nice job.
  Thanks!! Bought a Rockshox Superdeluxe RCT air and might install that in the incoming weeks. Will update with the whole air vs coil debate ;D.

Sack87

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 09:16:30 PM »
What kind of trails do you ride mate? I'm looking to build one of these up in the next few weeks but I'm not sure if it will hold up to the abuse I will dish out

I'm over in Perth and ride a lot of the stuff Sam Hill rides so it needs to be fairly burly for a carbon frame.

Cheers, Brendon

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »
What kind of trails do you ride mate? I'm looking to build one of these up in the next few weeks but I'm not sure if it will hold up to the abuse I will dish out

I'm over in Perth and ride a lot of the stuff Sam Hill rides so it needs to be fairly burly for a carbon frame.

Cheers, Brendon

Hey Brendon, sorry for the slow reply. I've been doing blue/black runs and think this maybe abit overkill for my riding style and liking. This geometry i believe would suit you perfectly if your going to be riding trails like sam hill. Jordan boostmaster on youtube is sponsored by evolve bikes( which use ican p9 frame) and his doing whistler runs so i'm sure it'll survive perth. Keep us posted if you have already built the bike!

Sack87

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 09:42:23 PM »

Cheers, Brendon

Hey Brendon, sorry for the slow reply. I've been doing blue/black runs and think this maybe abit overkill for my riding style and liking. This geometry i believe would suit you perfectly if your going to be riding trails like sam hill. Jordan boostmaster on youtube is sponsored by evolve bikes( which use ican p9 frame) and his doing whistler runs so i'm sure it'll survive perth. Keep us posted if you have already built the bike!

That's good to hear man. I've almost finished building it up, should be ready this weekend for its maiden voyage.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 04:33:48 AM »

Cheers, Brendon

That's good to hear man. I've almost finished building it up, should be ready this weekend for its maiden voyage.

Post some photos!

Sack87

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »

Cheers, Brendon

Post some photos!

Check my fresh build thread mate

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 05:04:59 PM »
Ican p9 29er Update..

I've had about 6 or months now on the p9 and i can still recommend this bike to anyone who is looking into the tenduro travel range. For the Price its hard to beat and the geometry of the bike is up to date. The frame pedals fairly well considering the travel (also have the rear lockout on) but on the downhill is where it shines. Rear chain stay isn't so short where i have trouble balancing hence it's super stable. Frame is similar the giant reign/norco range where it favours the dh and doesn't do so bad uphill. I've installed the super deluce rct shock on the bike and have kept it on ever since. The Coil was fantastic and going through rock gardens was a breeze but i wanted the bike to feel abit more "lively" and bike to be more progressive for my riding style. The airshock is more predicatable and I know what's happening on the rear meanwhile the coil is just eats up everything(not a bad thing either!). The p9 Frame has given me no issues thus far, Bearings are still going smooth and no cracks in the frame. Ican's service has been great, contacted them multiple times for bearing sizes, torques specs etc and get a response within afew hours.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:30:28 PM by YEEPYEEP »