Author Topic: Ican p9 build 29er build  (Read 31823 times)

Bos

Re: Ican p9 build 29er build
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 11:00:04 PM »
Hi there. Awesome build.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a P9 after owning a P8 for two years but having had it stolen, I'm replacing it with big brother P9. The seatqngle on my P8 was just a bit to slack, I'm 6ft but my legs seem longer than most. The effective seat angle therefore gets pretty slack. Can you comment on that? Also, ICAN offers a 2017 RS Super delux RT3. I'm considering this. They come in Medium compression/ rebound tune. Any Idea what yours are?

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »
Hi there. Awesome build.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a P9 after owning a P8 for two years but having had it stolen, I'm replacing it with big brother P9. The seatqngle on my P8 was just a bit to slack, I'm 6ft but my legs seem longer than most. The effective seat angle therefore gets pretty slack. Can you comment on that? Also, ICAN offers a 2017 RS Super delux RT3. I'm considering this. They come in Medium compression/ rebound tune. Any Idea what yours are?

Hey Bos, not too sure about the p8 angle but the p9 felt fine with me. i'm 6,1 and felt the uphill pedals were fine. I was also considering the rt3 that ican offers but decided to go for coil instead. Now that i have the super deluxe rct, i would recommend it over the rt3. The adjustable LSC is a awesome addition to the shock.  Sorry for the Late response.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »
debating building a p9 up, do you still use it? any major issues with the frame since owning it? how have the bearings and linkage etc. held up? I am 6 foot and looking for a bike that feels big and long, how does the bike feel to you, specifically when you had 29er wheels on?

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »
debating building a p9 up, do you still use it? any major issues with the frame since owning it? how have the bearings and linkage etc. held up? I am 6 foot and looking for a bike that feels big and long, how does the bike feel to you, specifically when you had 29er wheels on?

Hey mate! Still on the p9. I've had no issues so far with the frame, linkages and bearings still intact and greased. Bike feels great with the 29er wheels, typical 29 characteristics where it just rolls over everything. If there was more gnarly tracks, i'd go 29 wheels with a rear coil shock. I'm 6 ft 1 and this frame is perfect, i was also able to test the 2020 nukeproof mega alloy and that bike feels abit more planted. The seat tube on the p9 is abit outdated compared to the nukeproof so obviously the climbing was abit nicer though when going downhill, they're both good. I'm still not sure what offset to put on the p9, sack87 and myself are running 51mm but the files said 42/44.

I've put my name down for the santa cruz frame group buy, honestly no issues with the p9. Just wanna try the santa cruz suspension platform.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
id take it 51mm would increase the wheelbase? i like longer bikes so thats what i would probably put on it too. Think ill get one and keep my name down for the chanta cruz whenever they get finalized. As for the p9, id go with 29er wheels, then I am thinking a cane creek coil shock with a lockout and a progressive coil, put some -1 degree offset bushings in to slacken the head angle a little, then sticking a 170mm fork onto it (lyrik or 36 although i am sucker for manitou).

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 04:48:59 PM »
How is climbing on the p9? Crap?

endo.alley

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2020, 08:13:13 PM »
I am considering switching from 51 mm to 42mm offset for my P9. 42mm will shorten the wheel base  but increase trail on the front end. Which will add a little to high speed stability while descending. 51mm offset 29er fork on the P9 is quick maneuvering. I prefer stability at high speed more than quick turning at slow speed. So I may switch forks. I wish the P9 had a normal headset so that I could use an angleset to slacken it ever so slightly. But the integrated headset won't allow an Angleset.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 02:36:36 AM »
I've used offset bushings before and they work.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
How is climbing on the p9? Crap?

p9 climbing isn't that bad (much better on the nukeproof), my only gripe is that the bb is tad low on the p9 so plenty of pedal strikes ( or i'm just a shit rider LOL!). Can't go wrong with any of the forks honestly. Enjoyed the lyrik with luftkappe and really want to try the new lyrick rc2's. The sr suntour durolux has given me no qualms, excellent fork for the price! I'm a sucker for that DVO green, might try their suspension one day if its on sale.

Bos

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 03:40:35 AM »
Hi there. Awesome build.

Hey Bos, not too sure about the p8 angle but the p9 felt fine with me. i'm 6,1 and felt the uphill pedals were fine. I was also considering the rt3 that ican offers but decided to go for coil instead. Now that i have the super deluxe rct, i would recommend it over the rt3. The adjustable LSC is a awesome addition to the shock.  Sorry for the Late response.

Ive had about 6 months on my P9. Im seriously happy. Its not a rocket uphill, but I'm not sure many 6'' bikes are. Ive got a fairly lightweight build, with Maxxis 2.5 inch 29er rubber. That stuff at 1kg a pop will take the zip out of most bikes. However not unhappy at all.

My question is about the tune of the rear shock. I know on my Pervious bike a ICAN P8, that going from a firm to a light tune made a massive difference. the one felt harsh on rocky rooty downhills while the light just sucked it to the ground and bumps dissapeared. It was a FOX DPS though. My new shock is a RS Deluxe RT3 with Medium tune, which is what Ican reccommended, but I'm 72kg's and about 160lbs, and Im wondering if Its the shock, or the tune.

These shocks are aparently not that straightforward to do a light tune on. Unless my tuning shop doesn't know what they're talking about.

Anyone have a medium tuned Rear airshock?

BoomerE36

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
Awesome build!

Mind giving an idea of the total cost?

I am trying to start something similar with the P9 frame but keep the build around $2k USD

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 02:04:40 PM »
Anyone got any ideas for a downtube/bb protector?

chetosmachine

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 03:01:55 AM »
I have a set from dyedbro for general protection & decoration on my P9.

https://www.dyedbro.com/collections/frame-protection

Denys

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
I wraped everything that needed with 3M Scotch 2228. Pretty Happy with it.

carbonazza

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
...3M Scotch 2228...
Is the glue of the tape that sticky ? Doesn't it peel or move after a few months ?