Author Topic: IP - 036 by Sussed.  (Read 26913 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP - 036 by Sussed.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
I would think you would put the remote lockout lever on the opposite side of the Gripshift then space the brake levers the same.  One of the reasons I moved away from the XX1 Gripshift when I had it was I could not setup the brake levers where I wanted them, basically the same problem you are describing.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »
After mocking up the cockpit the brakes are little more inboard than i would like but easily reachable. The remote is sat between the brake and left hand grip at a comfortable distance. On the stand it feels fine and look great !

If I have any issues when its completed it seems its easily changed by cutting down a right hand grip to your preferred length and moving the brakes further inboard.  Did you consider this Carbon_Dude or decided it wasn't going to work for you regardless ?

carbonazza

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 05:37:03 AM »
I will start my build with a gripshift too in a couple of weeks.
Could you post a picture on how this looks assembled?
It will alleviate my impatience :)

Sussed.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »
Hi Carbonazza,

What are you planning on building ? 

The cockpit as it is at the moment.  Fine tuning when its rolling. 

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:59:16 AM by Sussed. »

carbonazza

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 06:56:11 AM »
It looks good indeed. Thanks for sharing your build!

My HM-256 should have been(or was) shipped today.
When it reaches Hong Kong the tracking number should be ok.

If you dig a bit in this forum, you will find it is the same as an IP-256 but built by Honsen Bikes.

An XX1 set, a Lefty, Hope brakes and carbon rim's wheels will all wait I come back from vacations to start.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
After mocking up the cockpit the brakes are little more inboard than i would like but easily reachable. The remote is sat between the brake and left hand grip at a comfortable distance. On the stand it feels fine and look great !

If I have any issues when its completed it seems its easily changed by cutting down a right hand grip to your preferred length and moving the brakes further inboard.  Did you consider this Carbon_Dude or decided it wasn't going to work for you regardless ?

At the time I had Avid Elixer Carbon brake levers which did not mate up well to the Gripshift.  Later I switched out the Avid brakes with Shimano XT brakes, I doubt the XT brakes would have been any better since the levers are so short.  My issue with the Gripshift was the fact that it is so long, it put my Avid levers too far inboard.  Your Formula brakes look like whey should work better though.

I had other issues with the Gripshift, I will go back and find that info and post it later.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

MTB2223

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
I doubt the XT brakes would have been any better since the levers are so short.
You know of the existence of XT brakes with long levers? Long is the touring (fun) type, short is the race type. On my build I've got the short ones.

carbonazza

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
Just a doubt, when checking again the picture.
Is it just while waiting, or do you invert the brake levers right-to-front, and left-to-rear?

Another question to everyone, does the internal routing can be hacked, to allow to cross the hose/cables in front of the bar?
Entering the rear derailleur cable from the left of the frame.
And the rear brake entering from the right of the frame.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
MTB2223, I've never seen anyone in the US selling XT brakes with longer levers.  Doesn't matter now, the Gripshift was an experiment for me, I am quite happy with the XX1 trigger shifting.

Carbonazza, I can confirm that changing the internal routing of the cables would not be practical.  There is tubing inside the frame that routes the cables from one opening to the other.   I do not know if you can ask XMIplay to have the factory build a custom frame with different internal cable routing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:12:27 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
Just a doubt, when checking again the picture.
Is it just while waiting, or do you invert the brake levers right-to-front, and left-to-rear?

My current Trek came with the brakes left/rear - right/front so it is what I'm used to.  I will probably stick with it as long as the cable routing looks tidy ! (Thanks for reminding me, I need to check the Formulas are happy 'upside down')

Haven't done any work on the bike today.  Should get the BB in tomorrow morning so I will hopefully get plenty done !

MTB2223

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
Seat Post Clamp Issue !

I remember reading others have had slight problems with the height of the seat tube and the clamp not seating fully down.  I couldnt find it on this forum so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Basically the seat post clamp doesn't sit fully down -

Is it something that needs sorting ? The only fix would be a narrower seat clamp I assume !
Got my IP-256 today. First thing I did was checking the seat clamp. And it looks fine. Height of the seat clamp is 12mm ( on AliExpress )

Sussed.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
Thanks MTB ! That looks like its more appropriate. I have had a look around for slimmer clamps and there are plenty of options.  I was hoping to stay with QR as I chuck the bike in the back of car and need to remove the front wheel and lower the seat !

carbonazza

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »
Here is an old post on weight weenies about alternate grips for a gripshift.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111890

It looks we can cut the grips to the size we want after all.

Sussed.

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 06:08:12 AM »
Cheers Carbonazza !  Seems ESI chunky will do the job.

I have also been looking at cutting down the original grip. Cant really see an elegant way of doing it unless I lose the lock ring off the end. 

I was also thinking about taking the grip off the sleeve, removing required section from the middle of the sleeve and cutting the same amount from the end of the grip. grip back on over the now two parts. This will retain the lock ring and the splines connecting it to the shifter housing.
Anyway, I will have a closer look at that another time !

carbonazza

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 06:27:29 AM »
Where people drive on the left side of the street(UK, Australia, Japan,...)
The brakes are in fact inverted.
http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/why-do-americans-british-use-opposite-brake-levers-623485.html

So your Trek and the new one are the norm where you live