Author Topic: IP - 036 by Sussed.  (Read 26909 times)

Sussed.

Re: IP - 036 by Sussed.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »
Have been a bit slack updating the build thread !

I took the frame to my LBS (rutlandcycling.com) and they installed the BB30 and also put the cassette on the hubs as I didn't have the tools for the job.  The BB shell was nicely faced so went in smoothly.

Frame went back on the stand so got to work .......

Forks and Stem first, greased and thread locked relevant parts and no issues this time as I had already had all the spacing sorted.
Handlebar back on. Will make minor adjustments to the cockpit once its on two wheels.

Rear Shock.  The correct bushings were ordered with the shock and these fitted between the mounts fine.  The only issue was with one of the shock bolt sleeves.  One sleeve fitted through bushings perfectly but the other wouldn't, after a quick file of the end of the sleeve I got rid of the burring that was preventing it pushing through the bushing. Sorted.

Cranks, Chainring, Pedals. Cranks straight on as per SRAM instructions with no problems.

Rear Deraillieur. Again, straightforward. Have just aligned the pulleys, further tweaks when its on two wheels.

Chain.  Sized and shortened.  Have used the SRAM Powerlock before on my old bike with no problem.  This particular one gave me allsorts of grief !!  I couldnt get it locked together then couldn't get it apart. Wasted too much time on that, but its on now.

CTD Remote, splitter and cable routing.  Spent a while on this as I wanted it right. Cable routing to rear shock is straightforward through the frame but as Carbon_Dude and others have pointed out there is a 90 deg bend in the cable. 

Cabling to fork was simple enough.  Remote lever is a little stiff but operates well.  Just a note on the cable splitter, its f##king ugly ! A very inelegant solution and I'm nut sure how long the housing will last.  Time will tell......

Gripshift Cabliing.  Housing routes nicely though the frame ! Cut to length then feed the cable down, bolt down onto RD. Job done.

I'm still waiting on olives for the brakes, I was hoping to get them today but the postman has already been ! I will wait for those to arrive before fitting and cutting the lines to size.  I have noticed that the hoses are thicker than the normal housing.  Has anyone had any difficulty running their hydraulic hoses internally ? 

I am also waiting for a new front hub from Iplay.  I ordered the wheels before I bought my fork, but I ended up with a different fork (ex showroom deal on Ebay).  The new Novatec hub should've shipped but it may well be a week before I receive it and get the wheel rebuilt !

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:02:38 AM by Sussed. »

Sussed.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
Where people drive on the left side of the street(UK, Australia, Japan,...)
The brakes are in fact inverted.
http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/why-do-americans-british-use-opposite-brake-levers-623485.html

So your Trek and the new one are the norm where you live

Interesting !  I have never given it much thought, I just thought it was personal preference !

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »
Where people drive on the left side of the street(UK, Australia, Japan,...)
The brakes are in fact inverted.
http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/why-do-americans-british-use-opposite-brake-levers-623485.html

So your Trek and the new one are the norm where you live

Funny thing, here in the US, a motorcycle is setup with the right lever as the front brake (rear is a foot pedal).  Which is how a motorcycle is setup everywhere in the world.  However, we setup our bicycles as the left lever operating the front brake.  For the US, it should make more sense to setup the bike like a motorcycle or like they do in the UK.  I have no idea why the US is backwards when it comes to brake levers.  Of course we drive on the "correct" side of the street though :).
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:35 AM »
Of course we drive on the "correct" side of the street though :).

LOL. *draws sword !
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:34:06 AM by Carbon_Dude »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Hey Sussed, I ended up changing the cable routing for my rear shock and while I was at it, I changed the lockout lever.  I didn't like the cable splitter that Fox offers and the lever was very stiff to operate.  I went with a Scott Twin-Loc lever, so much nicer design.  The lever is not only much easier to operate, it allows you to select the middle position (Trail) in both directions, engaging and disengaging the lockout.

Here are some pictures if you missed them in my IP-036 build:

I originally routed the shock lockout cable just like yours but this puts a stiff bend in the cable.  So I flipped the remote lockout around at the shock, and looped the cable around.  Seems to work a little smoother with less effort.  Here is pic with the new cable routing:

While not perfect, I'm very happy with the Scott lever, and while the routing isn't perfect, it's been working fine.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
Love your build carbon, could look at those photos all day !

That twinloc lever and splitter is much more elegant than Foxs effort.  I will give the Fox setup a chance but I can already see myself swapping it out ! 

While you're here, did you have any difficulty getting your hydro lines through the frame ? Mine are probably 5-6 mm thick and may be a tight fit into the frame !

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
The Shimano hydraulic lines were no problem.  I did spend some time with the R/D cable, initially I cut the housings and ran bare cable through the frame, I later figured out that for the IP-036, the full housing fits through the frame and is continuous all the way from the lever to the R/D.  Other than that and the shock remote cable routing were the two things I spent some time working on.

If XMIplay, or whoever manufactures the frame, would just move the exit hole further away for the shock remote, like on the Scott Spark, I'd be even happier with the frame.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
The Shimano hydraulic lines were no problem.  I did spend some time with the R/D cable, initially I cut the housings and ran bare cable through the frame, I later figured out that for the IP-036, the full housing fits through the frame and is continuous all the way from the lever to the R/D.  Other than that and the shock remote cable routing were the two things I spent some time working on.

If XMIplay, or whoever manufactures the frame, would just move the exit hole further away for the shock remote, like on the Scott Spark, I'd be even happier with the frame.

Agree on the shock exit hole !

jonxmack

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 02:55:30 AM »
Might not be the best solution but could you try a flexi v-brake noodle to make the routing to the rear shock smoother?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acor-Adjustable-Stainless-flexable-noodle/dp/B001DHLOA4
Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 06:34:18 AM »
The noodle looks interesting.  It may allow more options for routing the cable to the shock.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 03:15:45 AM »
So I'm still waiting on the Hub for the front wheel and Compression fittings for the brakes. Cue needless tinkering and additions !   ;D

Bought some of the All Mountain Frame Guard and added to the Down Tube and Seat Post.  Went on really easily and moulds to the frame well especially around the curves at the bottom of the Down Tube.  I had to cut a small square hole to get over the cable tie mount, simple enough.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:57:11 AM by Sussed. »

Sussed.

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 03:29:41 AM »
Needle Bearings for rear shock arrived.  I only installed the one for the rear eyelet, so I now have a spare bushing and spare Bearing.

Installation was a pain, as I mentioned earlier one of the shock bolts is larger than the other so getting it in and out was hard work.  After removing offending bolt again I got to work on it with some wet and dry paper and a power drill !  I put the bolt sleeve onto the drill with a 5mm Hex, wrapped the wet and dry paper around it and pulled the trigger !  After a few minutes of fine sanding holding the bolt sleeve in place and the drill doing all the work it is as finely honed and polished ! Now slides through the bearing housing perfectly......

Next was getting the bearing into the shock eyelet.  The tolerances as expected were very fine so could only get the bearing a short way manually.  A few taps with the Rubber persuader didn't help so off to the shed again.

Homemade Bearing Press......

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:57:38 AM by Sussed. »

Sussed.

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 03:33:19 AM »
Hope Grip Doctor.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:57:51 AM by Sussed. »

Sussed.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 03:39:33 AM »
So eventually the hub and olives arrived !

Brakes on (No issue running the hydro lines through the internal routing !)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:58:08 AM by Sussed. »

Sussed.

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 03:42:42 AM »
I took the hub and current wheel to the LBS to swap them over !  (Cheers Aaron)

A few days later it was ready so I headed up with the rest of the bike.  Tyre on, wheel on......

Ready to ride.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:23:21 AM by Sussed. »