Author Topic: Advice needed - Hong Fu FM058 or something similar  (Read 3134 times)

rpfelle

Advice needed - Hong Fu FM058 or something similar
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:38:11 PM »
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a ligh full suss frame for xc racing. I would ideally like to find a seller who will sell me a light set of carbon wheels and frame together as one package.

Does anyone know of any trusted sellers who stock the FM058 frame (Or something similar) and a really good set of xc wheels?

Also, does any one know what exact shocks will work with this frame? The Full suss world is all very new to me so any help is welcome!

mixlax

Re: Advice needed - Hong Fu FM058 or something similar
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:51:41 AM »
Talk to pro-mance, their 7007 is very similar to 058. They have rims and can probably sort out wheels for you as well...

sclyde2

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:14:20 PM »
All sorts of shocks have been used on those frames (258, 058, 7007, 9007) by owners on here and mtbr.  Rockshox (monarch xx, rt3), fox (dps etc).  The frame has a pretty middle of the road leverage ratio, the 165x38 shock with 100mm travel being a very common combination by many manufacturers over the years.  So, a shock with medium damping should work.  Given the frame has a high pivot (so reduces Bob), you might get away with light damping, unless you are a heavyweight.  I run a manitou MacLeod on my 058, and it works great.

If you get the frame, make sure you get the right size shock hardware.  The top shock mount appears to measure up around 21.85, but will fit 22.2 with some very minor force to get it in there.  Through various threads (on here and on mtbr) it looks like a pattern has formed - those who made the mistake to get 21.85mm hardware for the top shock mount have ended up with some play in the suspension.  This includes me.  After nearly a year of ownership, it is still minor, but I have ordered some 22.2 hardware to finally fix it (hopefully).

rpfelle

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »
Silly question from my side but does the shock hardware typically come with the frame? If you're using a fox float dps with a 165x38 sizing then which hardware size would you need?

Could a 165x40 shock work too?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:45:27 PM by rpfelle »

mixlax

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:46:41 PM »
40 mm isn't that only trunnion? That will not fit.
The hardware is dependent on three things.
Shock used.
With of munting.
Diameter of the shock bolt.

It is a kit that makes a special shock to fit a special frame and can usually be bought where you but the shock.

sclyde2

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »
The shock hardware does not come with the frame.  The shock bolts come with the frame.

The shock bolts are 8mm outside diameter.  The width is 22.2mm for top and bottom shock mounts.  You can get any hardware that is those dimensions (as long as the outside dimensions of the hardware suits the shock's eyelets, but I think the eyelet size is fairly standard these days).  You could use standard bushings, igus bushings (which I believe are the new standard for fox shocks).  I have used RWS needle bearing kits (by enduro seals).  A bearing probably isn't necessary for the low shock mount, but the upper shock mount has a fair bit of rotation, so arguably a bearing can help there.

I dunno about 165x40 shocks, if that size comes in non trunion mount.  I happen to have my shock off my bike presently, waiting for another RWC kit before I remount the shock.  Later this week I'll measure the mount-to-mount distance at bottom out (when either the tyre or seatstay Crossbrace hits the seat tube), to see if it is more than 125mm (the eye to eye of a 165x40mm shock at bottom out).  Having said that, if you are looking for a trail bike and are looking for slightly longer than 100mm travel, want to run a 120/130mm.fork, a dropper post etc, maybe you should look at other frames, like the fs029.  There is another thread on here about it.

sclyde2

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »
The eye to eye is around 117-118mm at bottom out - when the seat stay crossbrace hits the seat tube.  In theory, a 165x45 shock would work, but I don't think a non trunnion mount shock exists in that size.

rpfelle

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
Thanks a million for the info!  :)
The eye to eye is around 117-118mm at bottom out - when the seat stay crossbrace hits the seat tube.  In theory, a 165x45 shock would work, but I don't think a non trunnion mount shock exists in that size.