Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 211909 times)

cmh

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2016, 07:34:55 AM »
... the 3.0" tire is the future of mountain biking. 

Every new fad in biking is proclaimed to be the future of mountain biking. I personally am still loving the hell out of my undersized and lower traction (but fast as blazes) 29x2.0 tires. Not everyone values ultimate traction over other considerations. Plus does seem to be a better solution than fat bikes, but "the future of mountain biking" remains to be seen. So far the only fad that's delivered that is larger wheel sizes. Good luck finding any top level bike that comes in 26" wheels anymore. :D

SportingGoods

« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
I see more then a temporary fashion with 27.5+. I see a trend: tires will get larger. It might not be that all bikes will have 3.0" tires in the future but they will get:
- Boost axle
- Large rims (30mm+)
- Large tires (2.4"+)
Again, probably not the proper 3.0" plus size format but definitely going large

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
Nearly every major manufacturer has released a 27.5+ FS or 27.5+ HT, some have both, all have 3.0" tires.  All the tire manufacturers are coming out with multiple 3.0" plus tire options.  I don't believe for a second it's a fad, it's what many riders have been asking for.  I know of countless posts on MTBR about how wide of a tire will fit someone's 29er frame, along with lists of actual tire widths, all those people want wider tires.  For once the bike manufacturers are listening to their customers.  Unlike many other new features, they didn't just make up 3.0" tires, wider tires have a real benefits.  When I go to the bike demo rides, most riders want to ride the plus tire bikes first, and I've not heard a single rider say they thought 3.0" tires are not worthwhile. 

Manufacturers are scrambling to get plus bike options into the market, a few of of them are rushing to market and getting it wrong.  For example, the new Trek Fuel EX Plus bike lost about an inch in bottom bracket height and those early buyers are not too happy about not having enough clearance.  They get it wrong because all they are doing is widening the frame by 0.25" to fit the bigger tire and not compensating for the smaller overall diameter of a 27.5+ tire.

As rims, hubs, and tires become lighter and more efficient, there is becoming less of a weight penalty for having plus size tires.  I believe you'll start seeing even the sponsored riders running plus sized tires at races.  I know I'm faster on plus tires on the trails I ride, so is SportingGoods.  We've both timed are average speeds around trails we ride all the time, we are both convinced ther benefits more than make up for the weight penalty.

Not everyone will like 3.0" tires, some guys still love their 26" wheels but the market has left them behind for 29" and 27.5" wheel sizes.  I predict the market will continue moving toward bigger tires and plus sizes will get more popular.  Not because it's a fad, but because it's what riders are asking for.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2016, 10:26:54 AM »
... I don't believe for a second it's a fad, ...

Easy --- I'm defining "fad" as "the hot thing that everyone needs to have right now". Singlespeeding was a fad. 1x drivetrains were a fad. 29ers were a fad. Fat bikes were a fad. Gravel grinder road bikes are a fad.

Being a fad doesn't make it bad, and doesn't mean it won't stick. It does mean that there are folks decreeing that it is the future for everyone, even if it isn't.

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2016, 09:50:36 PM »
Quite honestly I do wish that Peter or one of the frame manufactures would come out with a 29+ frame with a vertical shock mount. I'll be happy with my 036, but I do get a sense that the frame will be slightly dated compared to the newer bikes that are flooding the market currently.

tripleDot

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:09 AM »
Just dropping by to say "Helloooooo." to everyone before the Introduction thread becomes a "Fad or Future of Biking" thread.

;D  ;D  ;D
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2016, 05:39:50 AM »
Sorry, the welcome thread got a little off track there.

Welcome to Chinertown!
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
Sorry, the welcome thread got a little off track there.

Welcome to Chinertown!

Yeah, that was completely inadvertent, didn't realize it was the Welcome thread, sorry!

Welcome to Chinertown!

SaiyanFury

« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
Hail all, I've been riding mountain bikes for about 10 years and man have things changed in said time. I am interested in building a Chiner bike, the CS-036 model in specific. I look forward to a reasonable price for the frame and a top shelf build, if I'm able to do it. Thanks!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »
Welcome.  I've sold my -036 but am happy to answer any questions you might have.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

cklein

« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2016, 06:19:11 AM »
Hello,
my name is Christian and I´m from Germany.

I decided to buy a frame in China, but I have a problem with the size.

I´ll open a thread and I hope you can help me.

Gertjanw

« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2016, 02:34:11 PM »
My name is Gert-Jan from the Netherlands.
Here we have beaches and in the winter we can ride on them :)
For that reason I'm looking for a new bike which will be used as beachracer.
I already asked my first question in a thread :)

cmh

« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2016, 09:15:11 PM »
My name is Gert-Jan from the Netherlands.
Here we have beaches and in the winter we can ride on them :)
For that reason I'm looking for a new bike which will be used as beachracer.
I already asked my first question in a thread :)

Welcome, Gert-Jan! Your name reminds me of Gert-Jan Theunisse, the Dutch pro from way back when. Loved seeing him race.

As for beach racing, is it hard-pack sand, or soft? Racing on soft sand sounds like it could be really tough!

Gertjanw

« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2016, 11:45:18 PM »

Welcome, Gert-Jan! Your name reminds me of Gert-Jan Theunisse, the Dutch pro from way back when. Loved seeing him race.

As for beach racing, is it hard-pack sand, or soft? Racing on soft sand sounds like it could be really tough!

Thank you for that compliment! :) We have a ride which is named after him here in the Netherlands. It's called the Gert-Jan Theunisse Classic. I'm 22 years old and so I'm too young to have seen him ride.

You're right with the fact that beach racing can be demanding for a bike, but mostly it will be hard-pack sand.

Pack66

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2016, 11:19:18 PM »
Hi All,

Pack66 from Tucson. I recently broke my 2009 Gary Fisher X-Cal frame and in the quest for a new frame, discovered this site and the possibility of carbon. Because I'm on a budget and trying to salvage as many parts as I can from the GF (which I know has older parts like 135mm QR hubs), I'm looking for a HT 29er with the possibility of turning it into a 27.5+ later. If this goes well, I may try and save up for a Fat or 29+/27.5+ full suspension (as the Bucksaw and the Pony Rustler are my grails currently).

Looking forward to many long disussions!