Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 211883 times)

Julian

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2021, 03:50:52 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've only recently stumbled upon this topic and now I'm totally obsessed with it... thank you all for this awesome community!

After being a blind reader for a while, things are now starting to get a bit more serious. I'm planning to build an FM936 for myself and an FM1001 for my gf.

Currently thinking about the right wheelset for the FM936. I thought Lightbicycle AM928 rims and sapim CX-Ray spokes for proper "down country" capability. And then maybe light China hubs like the ZTTO M1 or similar. Fovno/Venfort seem to offer nice looking straight pull star ratchet hubs too, but I have no idea if they're any good. Hoping to find out more from the bold test pilots among you!

Cheers,

Julian

michaeldepeza

« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »
Hey Guys,im from Trinidad and Tobago - Caribbean.

Background originally BMX now into MTB for 7 Years.

im 44 and an Avid Trail Builder also.

benny1363

« Reply #332 on: May 25, 2021, 01:37:13 PM »
Ben from the midwest.
Rockford Area Mountain Bikers

Zoc

« Reply #333 on: May 26, 2021, 06:03:50 AM »
Hi
Christoph from Austria
just finished my first Velobuild VB-R-168

at the moment building a 26" Hardtail for my 8 year old son,
old frame with parts from Aliexpress,

Thanks for all your hints and advice, try to give back as much information as possible
not only on parts and frames, also on clothing and how to build

br christoph

lordalfa

« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2021, 02:01:45 AM »
Hi. From BC, Canada. Built a CFR 696 upon the thread from Gravel Riding Forum. Custom painted job in Martini Racing Colors. Di2. GRX FD and RD. Tiagra flat mount brakes.

Adilka

« Reply #335 on: June 24, 2021, 10:15:18 PM »
Hi. From Almaty, Kazakhstan. Built a BXT-077 FS frame. Paint by BXT.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:02:19 PM by Adilka »

Lurch632

« Reply #336 on: June 28, 2021, 12:01:44 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was looking at buying a Luna X1 bike and that got me down the rabbit hole of chinese carbon frames. I'm now looking at just building a carbon frame as a replacement for my existing bike with the potential to convert it to an ebike later using one of these motors if they are well received after they actually launch - https://www.lightest.bike

Currently on more of an all-mountain/Enduro bike and thinking I want to go a bit more Trail as I've been out of riding for a while and finding I'm really not as brave or hardcore as I once was. Current setup:

Riding a Nicolai frame I picked up used in like 2014.
Lyric coil U-turn Fork 160mm
Monarch RC3 Plus rear shock
Hammershmidt crank
Sram X-0 and X-9 shifters/cassette
Avid Brakes
Reverb Dropper

Trying to plan out a build and I've never built a bike before, but I'm very mechanical so I don't think it should be an issue. My main challenge is I haven't ridden much in a while, and I'm trying to now dive into geometry and figure out which parts are best for the build and there is a lot going on there.

First off, I am trying to select a frame. I wasn't sure if there was a database of providers who people like. I see ICAN, LightCarbon, and Carbonda listed quite frequently. I made up a quick spreadsheet to log some details. If anyone would like to add to it, please feel free. I think it could be a good resource for some new members in the future. I focused on Large and XL frames as thats what I'll be on  (6'4") but it could be much more complete.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hANaOQ4ZB-wuRrB-lUa0GLTgUnDYevgNjW-xd-HWg48/edit?usp=sharing

I am currently leaning towards the Carbonda FM1001, Light Carbon LCFS958, Or DIYCarbonBikes DCB100,120,130. Not sure how big I want to go, trying to figure out what would work well now and as a possible ebike in the future. I welcome thoughts on DIY as I haven't seen them mentioned here much. Although their pricing seems pretty good considering they include shipping and I like that there is some US based component although who knows how much that is actually worth.

Working on my component list but hard if I don't know the frame yet. Looking at picking up as much stuff as I can from PinkBike as looks like you can get some good deals on takeoff stuff.

Groupset - SLX 12spd
Fork - Fox 34 Rythem or Lyric with Charger Damper
Shock - Cane Creak DBA if I can, rode a bike with one of these on it in a parking lot a long time ago and it was great. Might go with a monarch, or fox float as well. Probably looking for a takeoff in the right size so we'll see whats available.
Handlebars, stem - Maybe DIY Carbon Bikes
Wheels, hubs - Maybe DIY Carbon, or some takeoffs with microspline for the Shimano set
Tires -  Maxxis Ardent or DHR
brakes - Shimano Deore or Sram Code R.

Building out the price list which may drive some of the decisions above, but want to keep it to ~$3k and I think I can do that by picking up some gently used or takeoff stuff.

I welcome any opinions or thoughts on frame selection, on components, or anything else really. Glad to be here and will certainly start my own build thread when the time comes. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger on this now, or build it over the winter for next season. Not sure when parts will be most available for sale on pinkbike. If you  know of any other websites or forums that are great for finding parts, definitely send me a link.

Thanks all,
Matt

darius72

« Reply #337 on: June 28, 2021, 11:01:09 PM »
Thanx for accepting me. I own since 9 years a carbonality GAEA Xc bike, no complains; ready to start the "santa china" project.
Regards from Italy.

Puck luck

« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2021, 06:24:13 AM »
Hey all,

Stumbled across this site looking for 29er frames. Looks like a great site with lots of detailed info. Sometime in the fall I'm hoping to build up an xc 29er and just gathering info in the meantime. I've built up a franken-chiner so to speak last year. Wanted a carbon 29" bmx cruiser for fun and didn't want to just go buy an SE bike so I bought a BXT 046 frame and have been happy as can be with it since.  ;D Looking forward to the next build.

ASB77

« Reply #339 on: July 26, 2021, 08:51:13 AM »
Hello all,
I've been lurking around here for a couple of months researching frames and figured I should join the forum.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #340 on: July 26, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »
Hello all,
I've been lurking around here for a couple of months researching frames and figured I should join the forum.

Hi ASB77, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you and all of the other new members.

Interesting looking "franken-chiner", Puck luck!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:59:34 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Puck luck

« Reply #341 on: July 27, 2021, 05:55:57 PM »
Thanks Sitar_Ned!

Iroise

« Reply #342 on: July 31, 2021, 12:53:17 AM »
Hi All,
I discover this forum and it is top ! so much information. My last build was 10 years ago...and a lot of things have changed ! so i will go for an enduro Lightcarbon frame with 29 wheel, it will change ride with my XC race 26 wheels...
I'm from switzerand, 55.
Bests regards
Yann

fenomeno

« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2021, 05:21:00 AM »
Hi
A new guest from Spain, looking for info and trending topic material.
Nice to read you.
Regards.

jannmayer

« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
Hello,
I'm Jann from San Diego!

I cam across this forum when researching frame options for my gravel bike build. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Carbonda CFR707 at this point, although I like the CFR696 as well.

There's a wealth of great information here. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!