Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 211886 times)

skeeter97

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:28 AM »
Peter has been on the ball (maybe even overly so  :) ) responding to my emails so far. I am going to order from him next week once my paycheck rolls in. This will be the first build I've ever attempted so I looks forward to the challenge! I basically don't have the slightest clue what I am doing so this should be interesting. Other than the headset and bottom bracket install, I feel pretty confident I can get this done

Vipassana

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »
If you need any tools or help, let me know.

skeeter97

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
If you need any tools or help, let me know.

Thanks I really appreciate that. I have a million questions but I'm trying to read as much of these forums as possible before asking stuff thats already out there. Also torn on whether or not to get the carbon wheels. I'm 240lbs so that may be a bit much I wonder, and was thinking I'd just swap out the Rhythm Elites I have on my Fuel, depending on what bike I planned on riding that day

Vipassana

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
Carbon wheels are many times stronger than their aluminum counterparts.  I'd say go carbon if you can afford to.  Just look for a bit wider rim than the "standard" XC rim widths.   I've been running the 30mm hookless rims and they been absolutely awesome.  Thousands of miles on them and they haven't needed any truing or the like.  My aluminum wheels were never that reliable.

c01e

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
My names Cole. New mtb rider (little over 3 months) full time college student part time locksmith. live in GA. Ive put 200 miles on my Trek Marlin so far and entered one race in the chainbuster beginner circuit. Won first for my age....Love to bike love to game, love me some IPAs. Thats about it.

skeeter97

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
Carbon wheels are many times stronger than their aluminum counterparts.  I'd say go carbon if you can afford to.  Just look for a bit wider rim than the "standard" XC rim widths.   I've been running the 30mm hookless rims and they been absolutely awesome.  Thousands of miles on them and they haven't needed any truing or the like.  My aluminum wheels were never that reliable.

Yeah I think I am just gonna suck it up and go with the carbon wheels. The benefit of swapping wheels with my fuel is I could at least go 1x11 on the chiner, but I don't think I can afford all new parts for the new build if I add in a wheelset, so I would have to run 2x10. OH well. . I swear I am going carbon crazy trying to figure out where to go with this build. I still can't decide who to order from either. I like the cabonality.com website and how straightforward it seems, but I also here a lot of good things about Peter and I'm sure that will continue even though he's moved to another company.

cernymuz

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2015, 02:00:27 AM »
cernymuz here. I ride all kinds of bikes, including BMX, DH and 29er enduro. I originally thought I will build myslef a chiner 29er but eventually got the Specizalized one. I at least plan on getting some nice wheels from there.

bxcc

« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »
Just saying hi! I am on MTBR too. I am currently running some Nextie 27.5 35/29 rims on my SC 5010. I am also looking to get a 29er hardtail frame for myself.
Thanks for all the info!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
Welcome everyone! 

c01e, you may not be far from me.  I am outside Atlanta, GA.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

WindRiverHiker

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »
I'm Scott in Farmington, Utah (just north of Salt Lake). Avid cyclist - currently looking to sell my 2 motorcycles (Honda Trail 90 and 110) and do my dream build. Currently ride a hardtail aluminum 29er from bikesdirect with a 1x9 SRAM x9 setup.

Absolutely LOVE this site - what a fantastic resource! Many thanks to those that started it.

I may just treat myself to a father's day carbon wheelset for my road bike.

Cheers

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
Welcome Scott, and thank you for the kind comments about the website. We hope to be a valued resource for anything related to Chinese Carbon as well as general mountain biking info.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

SportingGoods

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2015, 02:36:30 AM »
Hi Everyone, after a long time reading weekly this forum I finally register!
I am a French mountain biker (in the Alps), more All-Mountain then XC. I still like to hit the road and just enjoy slow rides with my family.

I have 2 complete bikes to my record. My 29er hard tail FR-202 from FlyXII (what a weird name...) and a full rigid for my wife, a 27.5er w/o any specific ref. number, from the other website owned by FlyXII, "X-Goods".
My 29er is "convertible" to road bike when I swap wheels, fork (for a rigid carbon), replace the reverb seatpost with a carbon one and replace the ring spacers with a 44 ring.

Weights:
29er MTB = 10.3 kg
29er road setup = 8.4 kg
27.5 MTB = 9.2 kg

Happy man, happy wife :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:46:15 AM by SportingGoods »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »
Welcome SportingGoods!  We expect to see some beautiful pictures of the French Alps in your posts.

BTW, I have always thought it was, "Happy Wife = Happy Life."
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

hard.drive

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi everyone! I am fairly new to mountain biking and is considering foraying into the world of Chinese carbon frame and wheels. It is really nice to have stumbled upon this site since I see that a lot of people give inputs and share to the community.

I currently ride a Giant XTC cabon 29er and would be upgrading my wheels to Chinese carbons and my next bike will be a full suspension Chinese carbon bike.

Thank you and more power to the community!  :D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
Hi everyone! I am fairly new to mountain biking and is considering foraying into the world of Chinese carbon frame and wheels. It is really nice to have stumbled upon this site since I see that a lot of people give inputs and share to the community.

I currently ride a Giant XTC cabon 29er and would be upgrading my wheels to Chinese carbons and my next bike will be a full suspension Chinese carbon bike.

Thank you and more power to the community!  :D

Welcome!  I've had a demo ride on a Giant XTC, I thought it rode very nicely.  It's a great bike to begin with and if you upgraded the wheels to some Chinese Carbon hoops it will be even better.  Maybe you will even win some on our forum contest.

I have both a 29er hardtail and 29er FS, let me know if you have any questions when you go t build yours.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA