Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build  (Read 78733 times)

rubybear

Re: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »
I pulled the trigger on this frame and my build parts added up to $2300. But only because I went ahead and splurged on the wheels. Got a RS Pike and Super Deluxe for less than $400 for both. Hoping the shock fits. This will be replacing my long travel enduro steed and I'm hoping to get a little bit more to recoup the cost

crcast

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
I thought they changed the model number to reflect the fix?

oh ok, I missed that important info then. thanks

The newer version of the frame seems to be much more durable. I've taken it on several jump lines and some big drops. It held up fine, no cracks or any problems. Once you get the suspension dialed in, it really rips and I'm surprised it's not that popular. I'm guessing the first version has steered some people away.

Vipassana

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2020, 12:22:13 PM »
*Sorry to hijack thread*  ;)

That's it! 20lb for 4000$? Oh wow that's a very difficult undertaking. Only manageable with a decent amount of AliExpress and used parts. Especially when you are going for XX1/X01, which is even way more expensive than Shimano XTR.
Do you have a part list with money you spent and weights?

The most 'up-to-date' list from my build is attached.  A few things to keep in mind:
  • This was 2014.  The bicycle market has inflated steadily since then.
  • I built three nearly identical bikes at the same time and leveraged quantity for price reductions.  For example, the groupsets were bought by an offer sent to and eBay seller in the UK.  He discounted significantly for 3 full groupsets.
  • All carbon components, including the wheels, were bought from the same Chinese seller.  Again, leveraged for cost/shipping reduction.
  • There are costs not reflected on this list including custom paint, paint protection film, tools, fluids, cables, etc.  But everything is still in the ball park.  Total price when I added up everything including shipping after the built was done was right around $4100/bike if my memory is correct.
  • Actual weight of my bike was 20.65lbs with the heavier casing tires.  Could have been just at about 20.0-20.2 if I went with thin casing tires, which would be dumb where I ride.  I would go broke replacing them.
  • There are very few 'Name Brands' on the bike.  Really only the mechanical bits and brakes.  Rest is generic/open mold.
  • Frame shown in the photo is not the original frame.  I accidently landed on the original frame's seat stay and cracked it in 2018.  This replacement frame was a bit more expensive, but weighed the same.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »
Oh ok, you're talking about a Hardtail...

kduvey

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2020, 03:07:03 AM »
I have now had my LCFS 937 for just over a year now and am still loving it. No cracks, the frame is still quiet and stiff. The Lightcarbon rims are also holding up very well.

I have had zero issues with it. I maintain the linkage hardware and bearings often and have not noticed any wear yet.

My opinions remain the same - it climbs about how you would expect a 130mm flex stay bike to climb (good enough) and descends very well. Fun bike.

Also, a year later and still get lots of people admiring and asking about the bike.

rubybear

« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »
I just got my frame today. Can I ask how you went about routing all the cables and hydraulic hoses? Is it the tube-in kind? Or do we use the white plastic tube guides that the frame came with?

crcast

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »
I just got my frame today. Can I ask how you went about routing all the cables and hydraulic hoses? Is it the tube-in kind? Or do we use the white plastic tube guides that the frame came with?

Routing the cables are very easy on the front triangle. Before building the bike, I took the cable guides off to make the hole much bigger and fed housing from the bottom and to the top. You can guide them into the top holes by reaching through the head tube with your fingers.

The rear triangle has an internal cable guide for the brake side, but on the derailleur side you'll have to use the tubes it came with or you can use a magnet to guide the steel derailleur cable in, then run the housing on it after.

rubybear

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »
Adding my build pics to this thread! After a botched facebook marketplace paint job I ended up spending the weekend painting it. I call the paint scheme "Mt. Fuji Shrimp".

Anyone has any tips on installing a long dropper post?

kduvey

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2020, 07:26:46 PM »
Adding my build pics to this thread! After a botched facebook marketplace paint job I ended up spending the weekend painting it. I call the paint scheme "Mt. Fuji Shrimp".

What shock is that, and does it actually fit properly? Easy to air up and adjust? Works through the full travel?

rubybear

« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

What shock is that, and does it actually fit properly? Easy to air up and adjust? Works through the full travel?

It's a Super Deluxe 165x45. It fits perfectly with some caveats. First, if you go for the ultimate as I did and have a lever to close it or open it, you won't be able to use it. There's simply no space for it to move. Luckily it's stuck open.

Airing it up it's easy. Adjusting the rebound is doable, just a bit awkward. My shock has a low speed compression setting and I can adjust it but it's also very awkward.

I went to a bike park today to test it out and I was definitely going through full travel. So much that I think I want to add a mega dawg spacer to add some progression. I weight 205 and I have the pressure at 295 and it still going through the travel rather quickly.

Here's a pic of how much clearance there is on my large frame. The guide fits just fine

StefanB

« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2020, 11:15:13 AM »
Received the LCFS958 frame, still waiting for the right hardware for the shock-mount. Branded it and put on frame protection on crucial places.

Heard rumors of people having problems that the suspension eats bearing. Anyone that can tell me more about that. Problems and solutions?

rubybear

« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
Received the LCFS958 frame, still waiting for the right hardware for the shock-mount. Branded it and put on frame protection on crucial places.

Heard rumors of people having problems that the suspension eats bearing. Anyone that can tell me more about that. Problems and solutions?

I haven't heard any rumors about that. There were issues with the trunnion mount bolts coming loose but that was easily fixed with loctite.
I'm taking mine to a dh park this weekend so I'm sure any possible issues will come to light then

rubybear

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
Took my bike to a DH park where I'm very familiar with the trails. The bike handled everything super well! I was really impressed! I normally ride park on my 170mm front/160mm rear Commencal enduro bike.

This bike felt more flickable, faster out of berms, and easier to throw around the chunk.

The only thing is the rear travel. 130mm is fine for most trails but I was constantly bottoming out. I think this is due to the linear travel of my shock. I'm thinking of installing a megneg to change the progression.

For anyone on the fence about this frame I'd say go for it! It handled a heavy rider with full armor for a whole day of gravity riding sweetness! And I was certainly not babying it!

On a side note the Pike with debonair spring is great!

xz01

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2020, 02:54:55 AM »
Has anyone tried this frame with a 160mm fork? How's it feel?

qranked

« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
Also interested to know this, I have a 130-160 Pike I'm thinking of using on it.

Has anyone tried this frame with a 160mm fork? How's it feel?