Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374221 times)

Jotegr

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2020, 12:26:56 PM »
Oh man! My massive, massive, edit didn't save yesterday.

First off, If you've used a negative rise stem full on XC race bike then you'll feel somewhat at home here.

I changed "downsides" to considerations, as for some they will be problematic but you can make adjustments to compensate and solve these but some people will face issues which can't always be assessed right away or riding.

1.  The biggest issue that some will face is that as seat tube angles go beyond 75 degrees or so, there's a chance that some will experience knee issues from increased forward pressure and the reduction of the angle of your legs. It puts more force in to your knees so certain people will experience knee pain. We are going to see more of this over time, as it might not become apparent for a while.  The 'free' solution is to move your seat to the back of the rails, or you can use an offset seat post. Both of these things reduce the steep seat angle and maybe defeat the whole point of the steep seat tube angle. Instead you should swap to shorter cranks if you think this might be an issue or it becomes an issue over time. If you're building frame up, I dont think there's any disadvantage to use 5mm shorter cranks than you would on a traditional bike.

2. you need a longer stroke dropper post to get the same feel as an older style bike. Just a note.

3. Forward hand pressure/arm/shoulder pressure could be a problem for riders that prefer a relaxed fit. This new school geo puts similar forward leans to negative rise XC bikes, but with slight riser bars and stems rather than flat bars and upside down stems. So some less athletic riders will get tired faster or experience hand/arm/shoulder discomfort. This can be remedied with riser bars, shorter stems, riser stems (who uses these on real bikes though?), and in an extreme example, going to a frame size down (which people do to themselves all the time, for better or worse).

As you can see, they can all be dealt with, but if you've never touched a 'new school' bike then they're worth keeping in mind. Most young/apathetic people wont have any issues whatsoever, but if you've had injuries in the past or similar you could run in to problems.

spec47

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2020, 11:03:44 AM »
Anybody have a contact at Carbonda besides Adam that might be working? Sent payment on Jan 9th, they shipped (EMS to Canada) on 17th, but it was returned to sender on the 20th for some reason and I haven't heard any response from Carbonda since then.

Medico

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
Anybody have a contact at Carbonda besides Adam that might be working? Sent payment on Jan 9th, they shipped (EMS to Canada) on 17th, but it was returned to sender on the 20th for some reason and I haven't heard any response from Carbonda since then.

Normally Adam (I dont think there is an 'Adam', but ok) replies quick. Sometimes it will take a day or two, but now it is the start of holliday time there and it could take untill beginning of february before they're back.
Maybe you can check the website for the skype adres of Adam.
And dont worry, the aftersales is really good...they will reply and send you your frame

Good luck

spec47

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Figured that was the case... not in a giant rush, but did want it shipped out before their holidays. Hopefully get it before the race season starts in March.

kisuke3

« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2020, 03:45:52 AM »
I bought this frame the other day.
It size is M and I am 177 cm tall.
I also had it painted.

It uses Shimano / Sram mix components, SR Suntour 120mm boost fork and SR Suntour trunnion mount 165mm x 40mm R shock units.
The wheelset is hand assembled by me, XT hubs and Carbon Rims.  And It equipped GIANT dropper seatpost 125mm.
The bike weight is just 12 kilograms without pedals, and bottle cage.

There was no major problem with the assembly.
The assembly work went very smoothly.

I haven't ride on the trail yet, but I'm going to the trail on February so I want to write my impressions.

carbonazza

« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
I also had it painted.

I'm 1cm taller but with long legs... and considering the M too
What stem length did you choose?

Is it the normal or the lighter one ?
Did you weight the frame painted ?
Nice color :)

kisuke3

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »
I also had it painted.

I have short legs :'(
My position, the length from bb to saddle top is 680mm.
The stem length is 45mm, and handlebar width 700mm, There is no discomfort in town riding.

It is normal weight, but sorry I dont weighed it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:13:18 PM by kisuke3 »

Medico

« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
I also had it painted.

The stem length is 45mm, and handlebar width 700mm, There is no discomfort in town riding.

And I'm a bit shorter 1,74 but also a medium with a stem of 35mm and a bar of 780mm...

carbonazza

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2020, 12:59:12 AM »

And I'm a bit shorter 1,74 but also a medium with a stem of 35mm and a bar of 780mm...

Thank you both, for the info.
Wow... 780mm, that is a wide bar!

wfl3

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
I also had it painted.

That looks really nice!

Wonder if you could get the measurement from the top center of the seatpost saddle clamp to the top center of the headtube?  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:56:09 AM by wfl3 »

ride_n

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
For those that have purchased, how or which site did you buy from...?  thx

Medico

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2020, 11:55:40 PM »
For those that have purchased, how or which site did you buy from...?  thx

At the carbonda site mentioned at the startpost...the inquiry button
Good luck

spec47

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Let us know if you get a response. My frame was returned to sender by EMS over two weeks ago and I have not been able to get in contact with Carbonda since then.

ride_n

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2020, 09:27:10 AM »
yeah i got quotes really fast two weeks ago (prior to Chinese holiday) and then contacted Adam this past Sun Feb 2nd (their Mon) to move fwd with purchase.  he responded asking for my address right away (which i responded) but i have not heard from him since...  today being Wed feb 5th.  and i emailed him again yesterday for status.

Brombras

« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2020, 04:13:10 PM »
They have extended the holidays because of the Corona virus.