Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374935 times)

numberzero

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »
If anyone is interested I saw the tune ID on the Stevens Jura is very similar, looks like they tried slinger stroke shock.

2020 Factory Series Float Trunnion
2020, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Down, Trunnion, Evol LV, PTU, Stevens, Jura Team, 165, 45, 0.4 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CMF, Orange Logo
Do not put a 165x45 on the fm936, i said it before the maximum is 165x42,5 confirmed by carbonda!

Opadeira

« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2020, 02:21:36 AM »
Hi, first post here and I'm interested in this frame as a do it it all trail and xc bike.

Those of you who have one, what shock and tune have you gone with and how does it ride? Looking at the photo from Pinkbike it looks like the stock NS Bike is shipped with the following tune:
2020 Series Float Trunnion
2020, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Down, Trunnion, Evol LV, PTU, NS Bikes, Synonim, 165, 42.5, 0.6 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CMF, Neutral Logo

It's there an equivalent Rockshox tune? (MM I'm guessing)
The new 35mm SID looks ideal for this frame.

I talked to a local suspension company about this. They said that more important than the tune (DCM,DRM etc.) is to get a shock with the right volume size (i the case above LV - Large Volume). Tune can be adjusted later on (preferably with a shock service).

I went with this one: https://www.ebay.at/itm/Fox-Performance-DPS-165-x-42-5-Float-Mtb-Shock-Trunnion-3-Pos-Adjust/143042612579 as the volume and tune (except climb) is the same as with the NS Bikes and it's pretty cost efficient. Can't say how it performs tough, I don't have the frame yet (and might have to wait a while)

2018, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A, 3pos, Trunnion Evol LV, Giant, Anthem 27.5 2, 165, 42.5, 0.8 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CML, YS 2272/YS 2272 Logo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:26:36 AM by Opadeira »

Happybiker

« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2020, 02:36:54 AM »
That's a good find, cheaper than the Monarchs I was looking at. I'm not bothered by the climb setting, in fact the lighter climb platform might be a benefit.

mtbluvr68

« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:27 PM »
I'd think if you could find a shock that was tuned for a Giant Trance or an Evil the following you'd find just about the right tune but most any fox dps trunnion 165X42.5 will do.  I put a Giant tuned performance 165X38 DPS on my Scott spark and it is an amazing shock that is super forgiving, plush and feels never ending!  I can switch between settings manually but find myself using open for when I'm bombing sections and medium when i'm traversing roads, climbs, etc, rarely do i put in firm , because it feels bouncy. 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

Medico

« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
Still loving the bike but I think I got a real issue.
I'm having play at the driveside lowest pivot point. I can move the rear triangle at the left lower pivotpoint for some milimeters uo and down. It's also a bit noticable during biking, like a slipping reartire.

Already sent carbonda a mail about it... Think there is to much space between the axle and the hole where you put it in.

So after some mails with Adam they think it has to do with the spacers between the front and reartriangle..  they'll send me new spacers... Will tell if this will do.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:06:13 AM by Medico »

zilcho

« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2020, 07:54:58 AM »
I'm planning to build this in size Large and looking at a few used items for the build.  Would an already cut fork with the steerer at 19cm be enough on a large?  What length brake hoses would I need?  Thanks

Opadeira

« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »
I'm planning to build this in size Large and looking at a few used items for the build.  Would an already cut fork with the steerer at 19cm be enough on a large?  What length brake hoses would I need?  Thanks

great to hear that Carbonda is doing the customer service correctly. Makes me more confident in ordering one. Please keep us updated

zilcho

« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »

great to hear that Carbonda is doing the customer service correctly. Makes me more confident in ordering one. Please keep us updated

Not sure if sarcasm?  I'm asking here in hopes of getting community feedback from people that have hands on experience with the frame.  I also find it easier avoiding the language barrier and time difference for more technical questions.  This will be my third frame from Carbonda and have had zero issues with them.

spec47

« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
Headtube is 120mm tall on the large so you'll have to measure your stem height and add a bit for the headset/any spacers you want. I'd think any brake hose would work as the internal routing is pretty short. Will also depend on handlebar length, I'd never shorten anything until you have it set up.

sync1

« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »
Just received the Medium size frame.
The frame seems to have good quality but with weak finishing in some spots (headset and rocketlink) and soft/weak varnish.
I'm thinking to sand it, fix the imperfections and paint it with a 2K coat.

Problem???:
The rear triangle doesnt have a smooth movement, it has a force to keep it "open".
I already loose the all the bolts and "force" remains. It is normal? Any suggestion?

Weight:
Frame with cable guides and hardware, without rear axle: 2070g
Rear axle: 40g
Headset: 70g (bearings) + 58g (expander and topcap) = 128g

Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/PEYzQ9m

Flo7

« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »
The frame seems to have good quality but with weak finishing in some spots (headset and rocketlink) and soft/weak varnish.

Problem???:
The rear triangle doesnt have a smooth movement, it has a force to keep it "open".
I already loose the all the bolts and "force" remains. It is normal? Any suggestion?

Weight:

Photos:

Sorry but the upper head tube looks really terrible!

lRaphl

« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
Problem???:

I would expect some resistance when going through the travel since it relies on flex stays.

Medico

« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »

Problem???:

Weight:

Photos:

Sorry but the upper head tube looks really terrible!

Headtube seems damaged.
And you need some force ti keep the rear triangke open...it should because you don't have a pivotpoint at rear, but flexible stays instead.

I should contact Adam about it...they are quite reasenable about this short issues.

spec47

« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
That is correct about the rear triangle/flex stays, my last bike was the same.

I'd agree with the comments about the headtube, mine certainly didn't look like that.

sync1

« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
Thanks for the inputs, it's my first "flex stays" FS, all others got a pivotpoint on the stays.
I will talk with carbonda about the other issues.