Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 368377 times)

theirishrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #855 on: October 01, 2020, 04:53:44 AM »
I will be building it with a RS SID Select RL 120mm fork and RS Deluxe Ultimate RCT 165x40 shock.
Carbon wheels from Speedsafe and mix of XT/SLX components. Should hopefully be able to hit ~11kg if my calculations are correct.
Niceee!! Looks great, love the candy finish! I've got the SID select with the remote twist grip lock out - its looks great on the bars and not really noticable. I reccomend it if you haven't purchased it yet.
I'm not sure how much my built will weight with XT but I'm hoping the same.  Put some pics up of the wheels! :D

plumser

« Reply #856 on: October 01, 2020, 05:10:31 AM »
Nice! Is it candy red?

Kind of, I asked for a deep metallic red finish and Wing showed me a road bike they painted with a color called campari red :)
Do you have any good tips on frame protection btw? I'm leaning towards some sort of transparent film to show off the color but still protect it somewhat.

Niceee!! Looks great, love the candy finish! I've got the SID select with the remote twist grip lock out - its looks great on the bars and not really noticable. I reccomend it if you haven't purchased it yet.
I'm not sure how much my built will weight with XT but I'm hoping the same.  Put some pics up of the wheels! :D

Thanks for the tip! All components are however already purchased and waiting for delivery. Managed to find a MY2020 SID that i got cheap(ish).
I'll def update when the wheels arrive!

Denis

« Reply #857 on: October 01, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
I also received my frame this week with a stunning (IMO) paint job. Minor paint scratch at the chain stay unfortunately but I'll live with it.
I will be building it with a RS SID Select RL 120mm fork and RS Deluxe Ultimate RCT 165x40 shock.
Carbon wheels from Speedsafe and mix of XT/SLX components. Should hopefully be able to hit ~11kg if my calculations are correct.
Nice color!

theirishrider

« Reply #858 on: October 01, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »
Do you have any good tips on frame protection btw? I'm leaning towards some sort of transparent film to show off the color but still protect it somewhat.
I went for this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TPC7HU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Seems ok for general wear, I'd still use a specific chainstay protector though.

carbonazza

« Reply #859 on: October 02, 2020, 12:56:01 AM »
I went for this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TPC7HU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Seems ok for general wear, I'd still use a specific chainstay protector though.

Thanks for the reference.
I use a 3M one for now, even for the chainstay.
But ordered the ISC HD to try.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #860 on: October 02, 2020, 04:30:15 AM »
China is on national holidays right now. so be patient when asking for a reply.

theirishrider

« Reply #861 on: October 02, 2020, 06:06:16 AM »
Thanks for the reference.
I use a 3M one for now, even for the chainstay.
But ordered the ISC HD to try.
I couldn't find a good supplier for the 3m in europe, most of the stuff on amazon or ebay looks fake as hell, or pricey. :(

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #862 on: October 02, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
I couldn't find a good supplier for the 3m in europe, most of the stuff on amazon or ebay looks fake as hell, or pricey. :(
you have to look for helicopter tape. It's a thick foil wrappable with heat. Mostyl made out of PUR.
tesa also has that tape, altjough I don't know if it's easy to get. tesa® # is 52994

Jotegr

« Reply #863 on: October 02, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
I don't know how it is in Ireland/Europe, but I just use the 3m/scotchguard stuff from the auto shop if I'm not doing ridewrap. It's a little bit pricier than the stuff online but very convenient to get and high quality. Seems like something auto shops would have over there too, seeing as Canada isn't the only place with auto enthusiasts. It isn't cheap but it stays quality for YEARS whereas most of the cheaper stuff gets hard/shitty over time.

ALSO, I have added the Rocky Mountain downtube protectors to other bikes and they are pretty malleable and fit pretty well if you're looking for something a bit more substantial than 3m.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:07:43 AM by Jotegr »

theirishrider

« Reply #864 on: October 03, 2020, 06:01:34 AM »
ALSO, I have added the Rocky Mountain downtube protectors to other bikes and they are pretty malleable and fit pretty well if you're looking for something a bit more substantial than 3m.
Interesting thanks.
Maybe I'll use this on the chainstay:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-reactor-carbon-chain-stay-protector-290/rp-prod197217
or
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-chainstay-protector-2020/rp-prod200114

And this on the downtube:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-dissent-down-tube-protector/rp-prod197213

They seem like with a little bit of trimming they'll fit pretty good.  Not a bad price.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:07:21 AM by theirishrider »

Jotegr

« Reply #865 on: October 03, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »
If you're gunna trim that rubber stuff, a heat gun and an extremely sharp hobby knife goes a long way when it comes to getting this stuff to fit. It may be tough ordering them online, in my experience not all rubber compounds are the same. If you tried to put a Trek or Norco moulded downtube armor on one of these bikes for example, you'd be shit out of luck because they're very specific. So if you see a friend with a nukeproof and you can feel if the compound is soft or not, maybe give it a try. I'd be leery of the heavily shaped chainstay protector too though.

slickrock22

« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2020, 07:01:16 AM »
Would this be easy to scan and 3d print?

theirishrider

« Reply #867 on: October 05, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
Would this be easy to scan and 3d print?
Yeah i'd say so if you have the correct filament!

theirishrider

« Reply #868 on: October 08, 2020, 05:19:34 AM »
If you're gunna trim that rubber stuff, a heat gun and an extremely sharp hobby knife goes a long way when it comes to getting this stuff to fit. It may be tough ordering them online, in my experience not all rubber compounds are the same. If you tried to put a Trek or Norco moulded downtube armor on one of these bikes for example, you'd be shit out of luck because they're very specific. So if you see a friend with a nukeproof and you can feel if the compound is soft or not, maybe give it a try. I'd be leery of the heavily shaped chainstay protector too though.
Thanks for the advice! much appreciated!

Jarne

« Reply #869 on: October 08, 2020, 09:55:58 PM »
Hi guys!

I live in Belgium and the company I work for sells car wraps (and stuff like that) . They're very expensive but I can get them almost for free. If anyone needs a specific color, just leave me a message and I can look for it and send it to you. We have every color of 3m in stock and some other brands to.