Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 372169 times)

zilcho

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #885 on: October 15, 2020, 05:39:57 PM »
My question was more in regards to what One up should i buy.. based on the details from carbonda

Based on size from carbonda - http://www.carbonda.com/mountain/full-suspension/98.html. We have maximum 180mm for the insertion..

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/oneup-dropper-post-selector-v2 - I just dont know what to put for the max length, thus dont knwo what to buy.. so was asking for advice.

I'm running a 150mm OneUp (shimmed to 140mm now) on a size large frame.  Zero issue with post length.

adroitrider

« Reply #886 on: October 15, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
I'm running a 150mm OneUp (shimmed to 140mm now) on a size large frame.  Zero issue with post length.

I have the XL frame and the 210 OneUp dropper. I had to use both reducing shims for the post to work. I am 6’1.7788”

Bike works.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:08:47 PM by adroitrider »

Shako

« Reply #887 on: October 16, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »
A week ago I ordered a frame. It cost me 650 $ for the normal weight version, plus 12$ for headset and  12$ rear axle.
DHL services cost $ 285 (delivery from China to Ukraine), I decided that it was very expensive for me. I had to use the services of another company, for only $ 10 the frame was sent to a warehouse in China, and then the Ukrainian company will send it to me.

Adam was very polite and nice, I chatted with him on Skype.

Hopefully everything will be fine with the frame and I will start assembling the new bike soon.

casual_build

« Reply #888 on: October 16, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
Just wanted to come back and give an update.

Riding this bike for months now. Carbonda is obviosly the real deal, frame and paint are working perfectly. I've had some crashes and close calls. Always my fault, always the frame is undamaged.

This bike is extremely capable on the downhill with the 120mm fork but at the cost of a little bit of uphill performance. Specifically, when riding up steep techical hills the longer fork keeps your weight away from the ground and makes it easier to fail backwards. The larger fork also limits the front manuveurability while climbing. This is only something to consider if you are trying to hop up large rocks on steep climbs.

My build is a trail oriented and the bike can handle whatever I throw at. The long wheel base makes it a little bit tricky to do big jump lines, but the lightweight (under 26lbs) make it easy to throw around.

Overall, amazing for the money. The frame is totally worth whatever high-end components you were thinking about splurging on.

Regrets: wish I went 203mm in the front brake instead of 180 on both.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:31:56 PM by casual_build »

Jotegr

« Reply #889 on: October 16, 2020, 08:21:01 PM »
Love the NS rims on the knockoff NS. That's pretty awesome lol.

What size is your frame?

casual_build

« Reply #890 on: October 16, 2020, 08:38:41 PM »

What size is your frame?

Thanks! I love the wheels too, couldnt find anything as light, stiff and metal. Got a great deal for them too. Also I did confirm that the SL front triangle is legit, just the rear triangle/linkage is knock off.

The frame is a medium and I am 178cm

Jotegr

« Reply #891 on: October 16, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
Ah, I figured a medium. My XL trail hardtail is barely under 26 lbs and it has some seriously light stuff.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #892 on: October 17, 2020, 06:41:36 AM »
Just wanted to come back and give an update.

Riding this bike for months now. Carbonda is obviosly the real deal, frame and paint are working perfectly. I've had some crashes and close calls. Always my fault, always the frame is undamaged.

This bike is extremely capable on the downhill with the 120mm fork but at the cost of a little bit of uphill performance. Specifically, when riding up steep techical hills the longer fork keeps your weight away from the ground and makes it easier to fail backwards. The larger fork also limits the front manuveurability while climbing. This is only something to consider if you are trying to hop up large rocks on steep climbs.

My build is a trail oriented and the bike can handle whatever I throw at. The long wheel base makes it a little bit tricky to do big jump lines, but the lightweight (under 26lbs) make it easy to throw around.

Overall, amazing for the money. The frame is totally worth whatever high-end components you were thinking about splurging on.

Regrets: wish I went 203mm in the front brake instead of 180 on both.

fox shock from giant anthem was bought on ebay? how does it fit this frame?

wfl3

« Reply #893 on: October 17, 2020, 07:04:45 AM »

What size is your frame?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Carbonda made the frame first then NS spec'd the front triangle for their Synonym line.  Stevens spec'd the whole frame as is for their Jura and at least two other companies I've seen.

casual_build

« Reply #894 on: October 19, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
fox shock from giant anthem was bought on ebay? how does it fit this frame?

Yes it is, it is working perfectly. Looking back at the thread it looks like one person was not so lucky. I deflated it all the way and bounced on it while someone watched the gap behind the seat. It was close but it wouldnt budge no matter how hard I bounced on the empty shock. As long as you order the SL version, I bet it will be fine. If you look back in the thread you will notice most of the quality control issues were not with the SL version.

I think the digressive tune is perfect. That said, this bike made me realize how much softer a linear tune feels compared to a digressive tune. With only
a 100+mm of travel in the back, a linear tune doesnt really make sense.

For the knockoff comment. This frames front traingle is the real deal. Unbranded, sure. Knockoff, no

theirishrider

« Reply #895 on: October 20, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »
Yes it is, it is working perfectly. Looking back at the thread it looks like one person was not so lucky. I deflated it all the way and bounced on it while someone watched the gap behind the seat. It was close but it wouldnt budge no matter how hard I bounced on the empty shock. As long as you order the SL version, I bet it will be fine. If you look back in the thread you will notice most of the quality control issues were not with the SL version.

I think the digressive tune is perfect. That said, this bike made me realize how much softer a linear tune feels compared to a digressive tune. With only
a 100+mm of travel in the back, a linear tune doesnt really make sense.

For the knockoff comment. This frames front traingle is the real deal. Unbranded, sure. Knockoff, no

I have the same shock on my Standard size L and I have 1cm clearance at full compression. I'll get a caliper and measure it with a pic and upload it.

What pressure are you running in the shock? I'm 70kg and at around 250 PSI.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #896 on: October 20, 2020, 06:32:01 AM »
Tell me, did anyone install the 165x38 shock? if yes, can you show pictures of how it is installed?

Yes, here is my medium frame with 165x37.5mm fitted:

Jotegr

« Reply #897 on: October 20, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »

Aah I don't mean anything by it, using the words interchangeably though you are correct. I still find it amusing.

theirishrider

« Reply #898 on: October 20, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
Took the bike out for the first time today!
Holy shit!   ;D ;D ;D Handles way better than I expected. It rips on the down hills, the 120mm at the front feels amazing with that slack head angle. I found the rear was really hugging the rooty hills whilst not sucking my power. I intend to use this bike in the National Points Series in Ireland this year so I'm buzzing for that. My build weighs 11kg so it's it's so throwable when things get steep.

Will post some pics from the trails tomorrow!

Pharaohollie

« Reply #899 on: October 20, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
Got the replacement linkage from Carbonda (recall my issue was shock mount span 0.5mm too wide and hairline crack on the linkage). Tolerances are better, but not by much (thick paint immediately flaked off the inside of the shock mount points as I pushed the shock hardware in, resulting in a looser interface, but not as bad as the old linkage.

Old linkage on the left (shinier because I have resprayed it after sanding to inspect crack), new on the right.

Interestingly, the new linkage does not have retaining circlips on the bearings.

Fitted my needle bearing hardware kit

Everything seems good without play after torquing everything up. We'll see how it fares after a few rides.