Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374008 times)

numberzero

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
I have more miles on the bike, only offroad, ascends, descends, fast trails, single tracks...
The frame survived hard riding, i just had to check some screws, i bend a little bit the derailleur hanger while riding a bit closer to rocks :) this thing did the job, didn't break or resist too much to save derailleur.

First impressions are confirmed. This is a fun and fast bike.

The 120mm on front gives a noticeable bit more comfort compared to a classical 100mm XC and at the same time i keep an agressive position due to negative stem and short headtude.
I wanted to test a long reach with short stem (50mm) and i really like. The steering feels natural, the grip you have when you lean the bike is so nice
and due to low handle bar i don't suffer of slow steering at all.
Once you understood you can trust the front wheel this thing rides really fast. In fact it's like having a right sized bike without the front wheel just under the hands.
At the moment i don't see why going back to "traditionnal geometry", except the fun of riding a twitchy bike?

About suspension i can confirm that the fox evol works very well, in normal use i don't need to tune something or put volume spacer, the travel is well exploited.
On easy terrain, if you really like to put the hammer down, the fully open mode is too soft, firm mode is better or open mode with the hardest setup. The top is surely to get a shock from a scott spark with the 3 positions remote.

To end, a fews things i have in mind :
I don't see any reason to use a 100mm fork, the bike feel greatly balanced on 120mm.
Even if i could also ride a smallest size frame I don't regret my choice.
Keep in mind too the seat tube is steep so it's not for people who like to sit on the back.
If you want a cheap boosted XCO bike, don't hesitate.

Someone asked if this was the next level, probably yes!

carbonazza

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
Thank you very much for being the first and give such precise reports !
I was just going to ask you how it was going  ;)

2 other friends want to build one too.
The one thing that worries me a little, is to choose the right shock.
Any trunnion 165x40 will do it right ?

And I'm still hesitating 100 vs 120mm, as a weight weenie, and since I don't live in a very rocky/rooty region.

numberzero

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2019, 01:24:42 AM »
EDIT : 165x42,5 is the maximum the frame can handle
With 165x40 you will have less travel at the rear wheel, probably around 100mm.

In my case 100 vs 120mm, i don't have weight penalty because i just changed the airshaft in my fork. To be fully precise it's a 2013 reba with 46 offset (i didn't liked the new 51 offset rockshox i tested on a friend bike) so i keep mine.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:29:00 AM by numberzero »

emu26

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2019, 03:37:22 AM »
What's your axle to crown dimension?  Geo chart shows 505mm for a 100m travel fork, I'm guessing you are more than 505mm?

lRaphl

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2019, 08:39:57 AM »
Great! I'm glad to get good news about this frame. Definitely on my short list now.

Thank you!

Cerps

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:50 AM »

The 120mm on front gives a noticeable bit more comfort compared to a classical 100mm XC and at the same time i keep an agressive position due to negative stem and short headtude.
I wanted to test a long reach with short stem (50mm) and i really like. The steering feels natural, the grip you have when you lean the bike is so nice
and due to low handle bar i don't suffer of slow steering at all.
Once you understood you can trust the front wheel this thing rides really fast. In fact it's like having a right sized bike without the front wheel just under the hands.
At the moment i don't see why going back to "traditionnal geometry", except the fun of riding a twitchy bike?

About suspension i can confirm that the fox evol works very well, in normal use i don't need to tune something or put volume spacer, the travel is well exploited.
On easy terrain, if you really like to put the hammer down, the fully open mode is too soft, firm mode is better or open mode with the hardest setup. The top is surely to get a shock from a scott spark with the 3 positions remote.

To end, a fews things i have in mind :
I don't see any reason to use a 100mm fork, the bike feel greatly balanced on 120mm.
Even if i could also ride a smallest size frame I don't regret my choice.
Keep in mind too the seat tube is steep so it's not for people who like to sit on the back.
If you want a cheap boosted XCO bike, don't hesitate.

Someone asked if this was the next level, probably yes!

Do you think a 2.35 tire on a 29 or 30mm ID wheel would fit in the rear?  the Steven's model in the linked story looked like 2.25 Barzo that might fit tight.

bruto

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
any size recommendations based on height?
5'10", slightly longish legs/shortish torso and arms
current frame has 430mm reach and 80mm stem, and don't feel stretched on it
17" + 50mm stem seems to yield the same effective reach, but ST is significantly steeper on FM936, meaning my ass will be further towards the BB than on my bike - right?

Corneliz

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2019, 04:16:23 AM »
Thanks for the review numberzero!

I decided to also go for this frame, just ordered a light weight size M myself (I'm 175cm tall), will use a 50mm stem. Furthermore will build the bike with a 120mm Fox 34 Step-Cast fork, and a Fox Float DPS Factory 165x45 rear shock, XTR shifter, derailleur and brakes, for the rest all XT 12-speed drivetrain. Cockpit will be a collection of AliExpress items. I will reuse my selfbuild Newmen rim-DT Swiss 350 hub wheels from my current bike. All-in-all the bike should weigh little bit over 10kg.

@numberzero; a 165x45 trunnion mount rear shock fits right? Everywhere I see 165x40 as maximum, so I was just wondering if you had to do any modifications to let a 165x45 fit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:18:30 AM by Corneliz »

numberzero

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 06:09:24 AM »
What's your axle to crown dimension?  Geo chart shows 505mm for a 100m travel fork, I'm guessing you are more than 505mm?
Something around 525, it's a 120mm fork.

Do you think a 2.35 tire on a 29 or 30mm ID wheel would fit in the rear?  the Steven's model in the linked story looked like 2.25 Barzo that might fit tight.
I have plenty of space with a real 2,2 tyre, a good centimeter of clearance between tyre and frame, so a 2,35 tire will fit.

current frame has 430mm reach and 80mm stem, and don't feel stretched on it
17" + 50mm stem seems to yield the same effective reach, but ST is significantly steeper on FM936, meaning my ass will be further towards the BB than on my bike - right?
This is exactly what the way i went, check my previous posts. I move back my saddle to get the same position. But i'm riding with not much setback so steep angle doesn't annoy me.

@numberzero; a 165x45 trunnion mount rear shock fits right? Everywhere I see 165x40 as maximum, so I was just wondering if you had to do any modifications to let a 165x45 fit.
Check the geometry chart, it's written 165x45 and at the rear wheel you see and arc of 120, so i think 45mm on shock gives 120mm travel (i did not verify), 40mm on shock something around 100mm. I'm riding 45mm stroke without any problem.EDIT : 165x42,5 is the maximum the frame can handle I hope you'll appreciate this bike as i do :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:29:42 AM by numberzero »

Denis

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2019, 10:35:54 AM »
I have more miles on the bike, only offroad, ascends, descends, fast trails, single tracks...
The frame survived hard riding, i just had to check some screws, i bend a little bit the derailleur hanger while riding a bit closer to rocks :) this thing did the job, didn't break or resist too much to save derailleur.

Hi. Nice bike!  Looks very fast  uphill and downhill)

Can you answer a few questions about this frame ?

1) Lower mount of trunnion shock, how its made? Some bearings in frame or bushings?

2) Can you measure maximum insertion length of your dropper post ?  M size frame ?

3) Have you dissasemble frame pivots before building bike? Interesting, there is bearings in upper stays - link connection, or bushings? Size of bearings ?

Thanks )

numberzero

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2019, 07:08:56 AM »
1) There are bearings in the frame, bolt are with the frame so you have nothing to buy
2) Maximum insertion of the seatpost is around 20cm in medium size
3) No i just build the bike, but i think it's bearing everywhere. I will check one day if i do too much rainy muddy rides

Denis

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
1) There are bearings in the frame, bolt are with the frame so you have nothing to buy
2) Maximum insertion of the seatpost is around 20cm in medium size
3) No i just build the bike, but i think it's bearing everywhere. I will check one day if i do too much rainy muddy rides

Thanks for your answers.

Hope to see more bike reviews )

lRaphl

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
Hi numberzero, could you take some measurement for me? I'm trying to figure out how I could fit my 168x38mm shock in this frame even if it's made for a trunnion shock. Can you measure the inner and outer tab width at the trunnion mount? Can you also measure or tell me the holes sizes at the trunnion mount?

Thank you!

ChinaCruz

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »
This looks like the same manufacturer who made my M06 flex-stay frame, a very good frame.

As usual, they can't figure out the geo or what size shock it takes. You guys will have to use the tape measure and experimentation approach. I ended up with a 130mm fork on a frame spec'd for a 100mm lol, as well as an offset shock bushing.

numberzero

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2019, 03:53:57 AM »
To use an old shock 165x38 you have to buy this thing https://www.dirtlabs.com/trunnion-adapter-kit/
With trunnion mount there is no more axle going though the shock, just 2 bolts and bearings on the frame.

Chinacruz i don't totally understand what you mean, the geometry chart for this frame is pretty clear. For the shock you have 3 choices in trunnion 165x45/42.5/40 depending on the travel you want.EDIT : 165x42,5 is the maximum the frame can handle
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:30:40 AM by numberzero »