Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374739 times)

casual_build

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #675 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
My cat loves the rear deraileur too!  Can I ask what your rear shock PSI and rebound setting are?  I'm same weight but taller and on a large frame, running 240 PSI with rebound at 6 clicks out from closed.  Feels a little too fast vs the front end at times.

I counted 10 clicks from full rebound toward softer, At just under 200psi. I bet the shock behaves differently on a larger frame.

For the newer people like me, when you pump up the rear shock make sure to equalize the chambers by compressing to 25% about 20 times. Then check the sag and PSI again. Also, this shock tune is: 2018, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A, 3pos, Trunnion Evol LV, Giant, Anthem 27.5 2, 165, 42.5, 0.8 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CML, YS 2272/YS 2272 Logo

That 0.8 spacer means bottoming out the rear shock is really tough. Thats why I go for such low rebound, with semi-high pressure. Of course, I dont really know what I am doing. :P

I wonder if I'm missing a plastic reduction bushing or something like that on my rear shock. The hole is 15,2mm on my float DPS

This is what you need:
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/fox-rear-shock-mounting-hardware-8mm-x-22-19mm-0-874-5-piece-aluminum-1

This is what I used too, worked perfectly.

This is great feedback.  My stats are about the same as yours; 5'10" and 165 lbs.  I'm on the fence about Med vs Lg.  I'm riding a large XC hardtail now, but could see the advantage of a more 'compact' sizing for a bike I'd be getting a bit rowdier on than I do with the hardtail (which is generally really long sessions of power to the pedals and less tech stuff).  I'm leaning towards Med for this frame.

I think the medium is a good size. I have a short stem and 750mm handle bars. Maybe go for 780mm bars.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:24:18 PM by casual_build »

adroitrider

« Reply #676 on: August 15, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
Slowly building. 

Key advice, run all cables first. Then start with dropper and cockpit.

Here is a shot of the head tube where I used foam sheathing on the shifter and rear brake lines.

wfl3

« Reply #677 on: August 15, 2020, 11:59:38 AM »
^ What he said

Def do all housing pulls BEFORE installing BB or HS.  Def get foam insulation for the internal housing as well and install during initial build (like this https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/lifeline-internal-routing-anti-vibration-foam/rp-prod185571).  My pool noodle hack after install works pretty good, but I'd rather have the real housing insulation.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #678 on: August 16, 2020, 02:18:46 AM »
Hi guys, received my frame and I have a question.
When I deinstall the plastic holder on the linkage, the frame won't fold easily. There is a pretention which forces it to go back to its previous position. Like an integrated rebound. Is that normal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O1YFdZvNJjdkX3CjfY9CznJqs7PPPjuU/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit:
Because of that, the rear triangle hit the seat tube when I tried to overforce the integrated rebound/flex over a certain point where the flex went not back but to the different direction and hitting the seat tube with some force. Don't know if it harmed the structure. Don't think so, as there is about 2-3mm carbon. And with the knocking coin method all seems normal. Just sucks hitting the carbon through a behavior which was knowing to me by now. I assume it needs way more force than that to harm it. Especially because this part has pretty thick layup

...my first fully I'm building...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:21:36 AM by Colt__Seavers »

Medico

« Reply #679 on: August 16, 2020, 03:22:48 AM »
When I deinstall the plastic holder on the linkage, the frame won't fold easily. There is a pretention which forces it to go back to its previous position. Like an integrated rebound. Is that normal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O1YFdZvNJjdkX3CjfY9CznJqs7PPPjuU/view?usp=drivesdk

Yep its normal... because of the flexstays I think.
If you push harder watch out it won't hit the seatstay.

Good luck building it up

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #680 on: August 16, 2020, 04:17:38 AM »

Good luck building it up
Unfortunately this info comes too late ;)
Read my edit above. Hopefully such a hit doesn't harm the carbon structure
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:19:42 AM by Colt__Seavers »

Medico

« Reply #681 on: August 16, 2020, 04:24:17 AM »

Good luck building it up

If it hits the frame like your vid... Don't Worry, maybe a scratch on the paint, nothing else

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #682 on: August 16, 2020, 04:40:52 AM »

Good luck building it up

If it hits the frame like your vid... Don't Worry, maybe a scratch on the paint, nothing else
Yeah it happened just before I did the video, where I pushed too hard and I went over a certain point where the spring force goes the other way and hits the seat tube. And after that it springs immediately back to its starting position. No scratch just a small 2mm touch point on both hitting parts where the coating changed it's surface roughness.

acedeuce802

« Reply #683 on: August 16, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
Do you think there's enough room to run a second bottle cage using a universal clamp on cage hanging from the top tube?  Hard to tell from the pictures with those who have bottle cages on the downtube.

Medico

« Reply #684 on: August 16, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
Do you think there's enough room to run a second bottle cage using a universal clamp on cage hanging from the top tube?  Hard to tell from the pictures with those who have bottle cages on the downtube.

Won't fit on a medium frame...maybe on large of xl

theirishrider

« Reply #685 on: August 16, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »
Colt, I expect it's fine!

Frame shipped today! I wanted the same colour (glitter purple) as Zilcho but covering the whole frame. something was lost in translation so they've painted it half black and half glitter as zilcho!  @Zilcho - I'm really sorry mate!

I don't mind plus they'd already shipped it, so I'll not tell them anything, and not factor it into any feedback I post online. I'll put some skins on top of the black area so it won't look the same and Zilchos!

I started this build thinking I'd put a Rockshox gold 35, Shimano SLX, cheap alu rims but the budget has crept and now I'm going for SID 120mm and XT with BTLOS carbon 29mm internal rims. Thought to myself, if I'm going to race on it, might at wel buy the parts once rather than twice when I realise I need a bit more from the bike.

Nenokkias(fin)

« Reply #686 on: August 17, 2020, 04:31:37 AM »
Colt, I expect it's fine!

Frame shipped today! I wanted the same colour (glitter purple) as Zilcho but covering the whole frame. something was lost in translation so they've painted it half black and half glitter as zilcho!  @Zilcho - I'm really sorry mate!

I don't mind plus they'd already shipped it, so I'll not tell them anything, and not factor it into any feedback I post online. I'll put some skins on top of the black area so it won't look the same and Zilchos!

I started this build thinking I'd put a Rockshox gold 35, Shimano SLX, cheap alu rims but the budget has crept and now I'm going for SID 120mm and XT with BTLOS carbon 29mm internal rims. Thought to myself, if I'm going to race on it, might at wel buy the parts once rather than twice when I realise I need a bit more from the bike.

Can u tell how much $ was this whit the paint?

theirishrider

« Reply #687 on: August 17, 2020, 05:20:12 AM »
Can u tell how much $ was this whit the paint?
125$ USD

Nenokkias(fin)

« Reply #688 on: August 17, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »

adroitrider

« Reply #689 on: August 17, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »

I am going to experiment with the Wolftooth system and see if I can get two 20oz bottles on the down tube.