Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374682 times)

theirishrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #705 on: August 19, 2020, 05:27:37 PM »
You can try r2-bikes.com... but doubt they will have it... But why would younuse xt if slx is allmost half the price and just a bit havier... I really like slx, have it on both of my bikes without issues
Out of stock too but thanks though, my last resort is to by each component from a different place. R2 has 165 mm XT in stock but I don't know if i should go for 165, im 185cm and I have 175 on my road. Don't know how it would feel to swap regularly between the length. Regarding XT over slx, was mainly becuase XT wsas only 150 or so more expensive. and it looks a bit more bling. I think I'll actually run a SLX casette in the winter to reduce wear.

On a side note, i had to pay 260 euro VAT on my Frame f**ck sake, I didnt have the balls the fake the receipt and proof of payment...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 05:34:32 PM by theirishrider »

theirishrider

« Reply #706 on: August 20, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
Frame Arrived! Shipped on saturday and arrived today with DHL - well packaged! Everything Perfect, but the little metal piece on the chainstay near the bottom bracket is missing. I'll have to find one somewhere.

adroitrider

« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2020, 12:50:54 PM »
Hardest part of the build so far was replacing the DU bushing with the RWC bushing. Didn’t have the tool, tried the vice, got the Rockshox tool, it was able to remove the bushing but then had to use the vice to install the new one.

I can finally ride today!!! Shakeout first!

Vipassana

« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2020, 04:13:44 PM »
Hardest part of the build so far was replacing the DU bushing with the RWC bushing. Didn’t have the tool, tried the vice, got the Rockshox tool, it was able to remove the bushing but then had to use the vice to install the new one.

Any play in the rear end now?  I fought clunking in the rear of my Anthem due to those silly DU bushings.  Terrible.

adroitrider

« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »

Any play in the rear end now?  I fought clunking in the rear of my Anthem due to those silly DU bushings.  Terrible.

No play in the stand or on short ride up and down the block.

I did have trouble with the frame spacing for where the RWC bearing installs. I had to start from the back of the frame and work the RWC and shock forward to slide it into place. Then I installed the lower trunnion bolts.

Trying to slide the upper mount in place w the trunnion bolts fixed did not fit/slide in.

I ended up using the medium sized RWC inner roller.

adroitrider

« Reply #710 on: August 20, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »
You think you are done w the build and get all excited to tune the RD when you realize the shop dished the rear wheel to work without the 5mm rotor spacer. So, the wheel is out of dish and the RD won’t shift into the largest cog.

This was the only thing I had the shop do and the mechanic had the frame when he did the dish. He also had the axle packaging which came with the 5mm spacer and longer bolts. We got in argument about why he needed the frame to do the dish, “just dish it to center” was my argument. Of course he didn’t even think about my point and just slapped the wheel in the frame and dished it based on brake location.

Also, need to shorten the travel on the dropper...

edit - not sure if the shop did anything wrong, thinking the hub and conversion kit could be incompatible...

edit #2 - my fault, tried to take short cut and convert AC225 to boost and the boost kit is for a hub that is already spaced for thru axle (my hub starts with the letter N). The fix is simple and will address the dishing/brake alignment issue.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:26:47 PM by adroitrider »

impmonkey

« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
Looking at used forks for the frame I just ordered (medium). How long has everyone been cutting their steerer tube? Obviously this will vary with frame size and riser preference.
Thanks!

On my medium frame, I cut my steerer tube to 180mm. I am running an Ultimate USE 40mm stem which has a 45mm stack height I believe. Currenty I have two 10mm spacers below the stem with the topcap flush with the stem.

Was looking at a used fork cut to 6 3/8in. Sounds like that might be to short.

Medico

« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »
Looking at used forks for the frame I just ordered (medium). How long has everyone been cutting their steerer tube? Obviously this will vary with frame size and riser preference.
Thanks!

On my medium frame, I cut my steerer tube to 180mm. I am running an Ultimate USE 40mm stem which has a 45mm stack height I believe. Currenty I have two 10mm spacers below the stem with the topcap flush with the stem.

For my medium frame 16cm is just right!

wfl3

« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
Thanks!

6 3/8" work perfect on my medium - running a kalloy uno stem on top of a 1/2" spacer right now.

Mine is currently cut a bit longer so I also have a 1/2" spacer on top of the stem.

dhengen

« Reply #714 on: August 22, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »
Ordered my frame last week - super excited to receive it. I did decide to size down to a L (I am 188cm tall) to keep a bit quicker handling and climbing.

A few questions:
1. What is the max rotor size the rear will accept? hoping to go 203mm up front and 180mm out back.
2. Are most people ditching the headset that they include? I opted for it as it was pretty cheap. Not sure about quality.
3. Does the frame come with hardware bushing required for the upper shock mount (8mmx22.2mm).
4. I've seen people saying you should open up all the bearings on the rear link and grease them. I think I'll be doing that (not a question I guess..)

Went with custom paint job too! Will post a pic when I receive it in the next month or so.

theirishrider

« Reply #715 on: August 23, 2020, 06:42:13 AM »
Ordered my frame last week - super excited to receive it. I did decide to size down to a L (I am 188cm tall) to keep a bit quicker handling and climbing.
A few questions:
1. What is the max rotor size the rear will accept? hoping to go 203mm up front and 180mm out back.
2. Are most people ditching the headset that they include? I opted for it as it was pretty cheap. Not sure about quality.
3. Does the frame come with hardware bushing required for the upper shock mount (8mmx22.2mm).
4. I've seen people saying you should open up all the bearings on the rear link and grease them. I think I'll be doing that (not a question I guess..)
1. 180 but you need a 160 -> 180 post mount adapter (i think)
2. Nah I'm going to use it! Don't see any issues with it superficially.
3. Not on mine.
4. Need to do that just to check regardless if the grease is needed or not

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #716 on: August 24, 2020, 01:56:56 AM »
Did anyone of you painted the UD carbon black in shiny clear coat? I wonmder if this looks good on a XC race bike or it should be better matt black

theirishrider

« Reply #717 on: August 24, 2020, 04:15:01 AM »
Did anyone of you painted the UD carbon black in shiny clear coat? I wonmder if this looks good on a XC race bike or it should be better matt black
If you look, the top of my frame is a shiny black coat - I don't think it's clear coat, jut black. Looks amazing in my opinion.

SlappinBerms

« Reply #718 on: August 24, 2020, 07:58:42 AM »

A few questions:

Went with custom paint job too! Will post a pic when I receive it in the next month or so.

I've got 180 out back on mine. It does require the 160/180 adapter and is a very tight fit. I'm guessing the frame wasn't designed to accommodate them! However, it works, it's a tight fit and your tools rub on the seatstays when installing. I'll be dropping down to a 160 soon.

adroitrider

« Reply #719 on: August 24, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
Agree on the tight fitting rear caliper. None of my standard tools (torque bits) fit into the bolt and I had to use the wrench supplied with the Sram brakes to get in there.