Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374864 times)

Vipassana

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #735 on: August 26, 2020, 10:43:59 AM »
...Just go with the press-fit setup...

All my bikes are PF, but the hole of BB92 is only 41mm, which leaves not much room for bearings around a 29/30mm spindle.
The bearings are just to thin to last, on the dry, and even more if you ride in the wet.

You're not wrong at all.  But I want the SRAM DUB crankset for the weight and stiffness.  So I think I'll be stuck swapping bearings yearly.  I've machined all the tools to do so quickly on BB30.  I'll do the same with this.  At least it's nice and dry out here in AZ...

carbonazza

« Reply #736 on: August 26, 2020, 12:14:28 PM »
...I want the SRAM DUB crankset for the weight and stiffness...

My DUB crankset is already here, waiting for its frame.
And Belgium is kind of an opposite of your desert.

My gravel has a DUB spindle in a BB92. The bearings are toast already, just after a few months, and without any rain.
When looking for solutions, and asked BB Infinite and Hambini. Both told me to stay clear from the PF92-29/30mm combo.

BSA allows proper 30mm bearings, and is for me the only option if Carbonda does not provide a BB386 version.
Carbonda are usually very good in what they make, I just hope they align the shells straight.

The issue is important, and I'm just trying to make some more folks think about it if they want to run a DUB or 30mm spindle.
Hopefully getting more BSA frames ordered, so Carbonda feel some positive pressure, and make our 3 frames a bit faster :D

Just look around, you'll find how bad engineering are BB92/BB86/BB90 for DUB and 30mm spindles.
And how the bike industry is moving out of this infamous standard.

Vipassana

« Reply #737 on: August 26, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »

I don't want to hear what you're saying, but it's probably true.  If you are successful with BSA, then I will order that as well.  I just suspect they will not actually deliver.  I'll cross my fingers for you, however.

I have been reading more about the T47 standard.   I know, I know... ANOTHER STANDARD... but it seems to have many advantages. 

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards

https://wheelsmfg.com/blog/what-is-a-t47-bottom-bracket.html#:~:text=Having%20one%20set%20of%20threads%20as%20a%20permanent,to%20different%20crank%20spindle%20diameters%20and%20frame%20widths.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:41:23 PM by Vipassana »

adroitrider

« Reply #738 on: August 26, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »
Shakeout ride was a success. Water bottle rattled loose and rear brake is dragging a bit (need to align caliper better, or maybe new pads as the spring is worn out). Adjusted the position of one matchmaker as it was too close to the grip.

The suspension is so fresh and different. My last FS was a Titus Racer X Carbon back in 2011. That bike was too small for me. The FM936 with the Sidluxe Ultimate and the SID RCT3 that was just rebuilt by Squish Dynamics is such a treat!

Need to install the BRAD system for the second bottle and I’m ready for an epic weekend of dirt.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:22:03 PM by adroitrider »

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #739 on: August 26, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
Anyone ordered a BSA model and received it recently?
I did order about 15 pages on this thread ago :o , and still no sign of production.
I ordered this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896597801.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.749f4f0dI16PK5

Would love to hear your thoughts on this BB. Let me know ones it has arrived
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:22:50 PM by Colt__Seavers »

Vipassana

« Reply #740 on: August 26, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
Shakeout ride was a success. Water bottle rattled loose and rear brake is dragging a bit (need to align caliper better, or maybe new pads as the spring is worn out). Adjusted the position of one matchmaker as it was too close to the grip.

The suspension is so fresh and different. My last FS was a Titus Racer X Carbon back in 2011. That bike was too small for me. The FM936 with the Sidluxe Ultimate and the SID RCT3 that was just rebuilt by Squish Dynamics is such a treat!

Need to install the BRAD system for the second bottle and I’m ready for an epic weekend of dirt.

What size frame?  It almost looks like you can get two water bottles in line on that downtube with the right mounting setup.  I'm thinking one pushed back behind the lower mounting point and one higher up in the triangle?  What do you think?  Or were you planning the B-RAD side-by-side setup?

adroitrider

« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2020, 05:23:09 PM »

What size frame?  It almost looks like you can get two water bottles in line on that downtube with the right mounting setup.  I'm thinking one pushed back behind the lower mounting point and one higher up in the triangle?  What do you think?  Or were you planning the B-RAD side-by-side setup?
This is the XL. I asked about drilling two sets of bosses and Carbonda wanted a minimum of ten frames for custom.

I have B RAD four ready to install and will do one on top of the other.

Edit: Side by side is likely a problem with my knees.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:59:41 PM by adroitrider »

adroitrider

« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
...I want the SRAM DUB crankset for the weight and stiffness...

My gravel has a DUB spindle in a BB92. The bearings are toast already, just after a few months, and without any rain.
When looking for solutions, and asked BB Infinite and Hambini. Both told me to stay clear from the PF92-29/30mm combo.

BSA allows proper 30mm bearings, and is for me the only option if Carbonda does not provide a BB386 version.
Carbonda are usually very good in what they make, I just hope they align the shells straight.

The issue is important, and I'm just trying to make some more folks think about it if they want to run a DUB or 30mm spindle.
Hopefully getting more BSA frames ordered, so Carbonda feel some positive pressure, and make our 3 frames a bit faster :D

Just look around, you'll find how bad engineering are BB92/BB86/BB90 for DUB and 30mm spindles.
And how the bike industry is moving out of this infamous standard.

For me, I am less concerned about bearing longevity due to my success with BB30 and full understanding of the compromises.

The big shortfall of DUB is its complexity. The way the bearings are preloaded leaves a ton of room for error. If you follow the instructions to a T then chances for premature failure are greatly reduced. In my experience it is the torque requirements of the crank bolt that is critical. This torque must be correct to allow the preload to have a chance. Check the preload every ride for the first 50-100kms.

Second, I’ve already gone the weight route with the SL frame and the Sidluxe Ultimate. Adding weight at the BB and crank seems contradictory to my build.

Third, I live in the Chicago area. I literally see Movistar WC Rainbow jerseys at Palos. Sram supports my local trails. Sram Rockshox all the way.

Andreas_SWE

« Reply #743 on: August 27, 2020, 01:13:43 AM »
Hi everybody.

I'm new to the forum and found it by coinsidence when it was searching for Chineese no name frames for a FS build.
After reading more or less all the posts about this frame my main feeling is that people after rather happy with the quality and support from Carbonda.
That leads me to the fact that I'm thinking of order one of this frames but like many others I feel that I'm in between sizes.
I'm 180 cm long and today I'm riding a hard tail that I'm very happy with. Seat position and span feels great.
What are your recommendations? Should I go for M or L?
I'm attaching the geometry of my current bike that I'm having in size L.

chrswbrwn

« Reply #744 on: August 27, 2020, 02:07:09 AM »
Can anybody that has already built an XL bike comment on the length of the rear brake hose? I think my current hose is 1700mm, but I'm thinking that I'll probably need 2000mm.
Thanks!

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #745 on: August 27, 2020, 03:48:59 AM »
Can anybody that has already built an XL bike comment on the length of the rear brake hose? I think my current hose is 1700mm, but I'm thinking that I'll probably need 2000mm.
Thanks!
Asked the same thing. Got the answer that 1700mm is sufficient for XL and 60mm stem and 740mm bar. If I remember correctly the guy is running even longer stem and wider bar

theirishrider

« Reply #746 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:29 AM »
I'm 180 cm long and today I'm riding a hard tail that I'm very happy with. Seat position and span feels great.
What are your recommendations? Should I go for M or L?
I'm a lanky (long and thin) and 185cm (6'1" for the America dwellers) and ordered the L. I'll let you know how it feels with a 60mm stem for me. Also depends on flexibility I'm in my mid 20s so flexy enough so it also depends if you'd like to be more streched out (L) or upright (M).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:28:09 AM by theirishrider »

adroitrider

« Reply #747 on: August 27, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »

One question I do have it.. how do I use those little plastic pipes to route my cables?

I used painters tape to connect the plastic pipes to the housing and then pushed the housing through the frame and only used the plastic pipes to gently guide the housing where it needs to go.

Run all the housing first, before the bb, seatpost, fork/stem, and you barely need the plastic pipes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:54:10 PM by adroitrider »

carbonazza

« Reply #748 on: August 28, 2020, 03:15:27 AM »
Is the rear axle, that comes with the FM936, a torx 40 ?
I've received such odd axle with a recent hardtail. No multi-tool has it.

Denis

« Reply #749 on: August 28, 2020, 03:49:25 AM »
Is the rear axle, that comes with the FM936, a torx 40 ?
I've received such odd axle with a recent hardtail. No multi-tool has it.
6mm hex with o-ring inside.