Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374884 times)

zorinena

Carbonda Wheelset to go with the Frame
« Reply #750 on: August 29, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
I have been reading this thread for quiet a few days and have gotten responses from Adam and have decided to go with a custom two tones with 936.. Had a few questions
This being my first Bike build have a few questions.. Want to keep the Bike budget below 3.5-4k USD

1. Carbonda has a 240S boost wheelset to go along with this, has anyone bought and / or has any feedback on it
2. Does any one have a spreadsheet with recommended components, some of you had created excel, can you send it over, I can PM my email address..
3. Should i get additional hangers
4. I see that the recommended bottom bracket is BB92, but saw that installation of that takes quiet an effort / special tool, should i ask them to install it, or as I see in some of the posts, should i get something like this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896597801.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.749f4f0dI16PK5
5. I am planning to go with SRAM X01 / GX eagle combination..

Thanks,
JB

carbonazza

Re: Carbonda Wheelset to go with the Frame
« Reply #751 on: August 29, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
1. Carbonda has a 240S boost wheelset to go along with this, has anyone bought and / or has any feedback on it
They probably make them built by someone else, it is not their specialty.
ligthbicycle.com or farsports.com dedicate themselves to wheels and I would go with them instead.

2. Does any one have a spreadsheet with recommended components, some of you had created excel, can you send it over, I can PM my email address.
My very high end build spreadsheet

Here are some usual parts that may miss, delaying your maiden ride for a few days:
A front brake adapter for 180mm/200mm or 160mm/180mm rear disc, if it applies.
Shifting hose/cable/cable stops, brake hose/olive/barb may miss from the groupset you buy, so check with the vendor.
A bleeding kit and compatible brake oil, in case the reconnect of your rear brakes hose goes bad.
If you get a 240S hub with lockring, you may need to buy a ring for 15/20mm axles, as there is no room for the tool to tighten the disc.
Tubeless tape at the right width, and tubeless valves at the right height.
Having sealant too, Orange Regular is by far the best, efficient, easy to clean, doesn't stink.

I never had to use one, but I always order one spare that I take with me when traveling.

4. I see that the recommended bottom bracket is BB92
These are two quite contradictory statements  ;)
If you plan to use a DUB spindle, BB92 is not a good choice.
The reason is a 41mm hole doesn't leave much room for a BB cup and bearings for a 29/30mm spindle.
Meaning you will change quite a lot of bearings along the life of your bike.
Worse, after a while, changing them so often is tiring, and you end up used to a poorly efficient and grinding drive train.

If you plan to use GXP spindles 24/22mm, BB92 will work.
Beware GXP has its woes too, as the left bearing is particularly stressed and die prematurely.

Carbonda will not install a BB for you, and the tool you need is a Shimano type BB tool you can find everywhere. If you don't have one, the ZTTO one is good.
And it is the same tool needed for 15/20mm brake lockrings.

zorinena

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #752 on: August 29, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »

2. Does any one have a spreadsheet with recommended components, some of you had created excel, can you send it over, I can PM my email address.
2. My very high end build spreadsheet
Thanks, this is very helpful.. I will certainly use some of it, Did not know that brakes go that high. I did try and check the price sram groupset, apparently r2-bike does not ship to US this anymore..
5. I am planning to go with SRAM X01 / GX eagle combination.

The reason is a 41mm hole doesn't leave much room for a BB cup and bearings for a 29/30mm spindle.
Worse, after a while, changing them so often is tiring, and you end up used to a poorly efficient and grinding drive train.

Beware GXP has its woes too, as the left bearing is particularly stressed and die prematurely.

Carbonda will not install a BB for you, and the tool you need is a Shimano type BB tool you can find everywhere. If you don't have one, the ZTTO one is good.

Okay my lack of knowledge is certainly higher that I expected :). So which is the recommended Bottom Bracket with X01 groupset..

Thanks once again for the detailed response.. I will talk to ightcycle on monday to get a quote and see what do they have to offer..

Cheers,
J

theirishrider

« Reply #753 on: August 30, 2020, 06:09:47 AM »
I have been reading this thread for quiet a few days and have gotten responses from Adam and have decided to go with a custom two tones with 936.. Had a few questions
This being my first Bike build have a few questions.. Want to keep the Bike budget below 3.5-4k USD
I spend around 3000Euro but in Ireland we have 23% VAT and I got done by customs (268euro duty plus VAT) when they seized my package. Plus i paid 220 ish for DHL shipping (5 days from china)
If you went with SLX and a cheaper RockShox reba/35 Gold, Alu rims, I think it could be done for 2k euro.

I got these with shimano XT 12 speed hubs (cheaper than DTswiss and they're silent - I hateee noisey hubs I want to hear nature!) https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/asymmetric-all-mountain-enduro-carbon-fiber-mtb-wheelset-tubeless-compatible (700USD including shipping so cheaper than Light Bicycle because LB didn't have standard 29mm internal with asym as I wanted - only premium.

2. Does any one have a spreadsheet with recommended components, some of you had created excel, can you send it over, I can PM my email address..
Yes, I will share mine next week!
I got 2 more! Take them, so much easier that trying to get them after a crash - it's only a few euro.

4. I see that the recommended bottom bracket is BB92, but saw that installation of that takes quiet an effort / special tool, should i ask them to install it, or as I see in some of the posts, should i get something like this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896597801.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.749f4f0dI16PK5
IMO - Go Shimano crank with sram groupset if you want. I went full XT.  If you're curious why bb92 and DUB is a bad idea, watch some of the Hambini Videos, essentially, the races are too thin and they're side loaded...

My ZTTO BB will arrive next week so I'll make a video of me fitting it. Only 2 spanners are needed.

carbonazza

« Reply #754 on: August 30, 2020, 09:31:16 AM »
...Only 2 spanners are needed...
One is enough, holding one side by hand until the compression makes it stick.

carbonazza

« Reply #755 on: August 30, 2020, 10:04:47 AM »
...So which is the recommended Bottom Bracket with X01 groupset...

If you put a DUB or 30mm spindle choose BSA.
Or as suggested by zorinena, à BB92, mixing a 24mm spindle with other components from SRAM.
It could be interesting if there is a big difference in weight between BSA shells + cups + alloy crank  vs. BB92 + 24mm steel spindle crank.
The stiffness difference being probably a no issue for most of us.

theirishrider

« Reply #756 on: August 30, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »
...Only 2 spanners are needed...
One is enough, holding one side by hand until the compression makes it stick.
oh really!! I took a second for 5 euro, wasn't sure!

zorinena

« Reply #757 on: August 30, 2020, 09:17:05 PM »

I spend around 3000Euro but in Ireland we have 23% VAT and I got done by customs (268euro duty plus VAT) when they seized my package. Plus i paid 220 ish for DHL shipping (5 days from china)
If you went with SLX and a cheaper RockShox reba/35 Gold, Alu rims, I think it could be done for 2k euro.

Thanks for the options, I will look into it.. wheels set i would like to be at carbon, not sure about the shock yet..

I got these with shimano XT 12 speed hubs (cheaper than DTswiss and they're silent - I hateee noisey hubs I want to hear nature!) https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/asymmetric-all-mountain-enduro-carbon-fiber-mtb-wheelset-tubeless-compatible (700USD including shipping so cheaper than Light Bicycle because LB didn't have standard 29mm internal with asym as I wanted - only premium.
Actually I like the nose of the additional teeth, so I am planning to go with that.. am talking to light bicycle, but they are quoting me about 1100 shipped for the AM927's.. Not sure I want to spend that much.. Carbonzza, do you know how you got to that number, was it AM928's ?

Yes, I will share mine next week!
That would be awesome..

IMO - Go Shimano crank with sram groupset if you want. I went full XT.  If you're curious why bb92 and DUB is a bad idea, watch some of the Hambini Videos, essentially, the races are too thin and they're side loaded...

My ZTTO BB will arrive next week so I'll make a video of me fitting it. Only 2 spanners are needed.
Looking forward for your video..

I am planning to create a couple of spreadsheets to maybe help future bike makers make this easier..

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #758 on: August 31, 2020, 12:57:41 AM »
They probably make them built by someone else, it is not their specialty.
ligthbicycle.com or farsports.com dedicate themselves to wheels and I would go with them instead.

My very high end build spreadsheet

Here are some usual parts that may miss, delaying your maiden ride for a few days:
A front brake adapter for 180mm/200mm or 160mm/180mm rear disc, if it applies.
Shifting hose/cable/cable stops, brake hose/olive/barb may miss from the groupset you buy, so check with the vendor.
A bleeding kit and compatible brake oil, in case the reconnect of your rear brakes hose goes bad.
If you get a 240S hub with lockring, you may need to buy a ring for 15/20mm axles, as there is no room for the tool to tighten the disc.
Tubeless tape at the right width, and tubeless valves at the right height.
Having sealant too, Orange Regular is by far the best, efficient, easy to clean, doesn't stink.

I never had to use one, but I always order one spare that I take with me when traveling.

this posts has some of the most important build info in. could we please somehow pin it to the top?

wow, just looked at your spreadsheet. Really a high class build! It would have cost around 11000€ if you would buy something at Scott.
Are you on mtb-news.de, so I can find some photos of you build?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:00:49 AM by Colt__Seavers »

carbonazza

« Reply #759 on: August 31, 2020, 03:45:10 AM »
... wow, just looked at your spreadsheet. Really a high class build! It would have cost around 11000€ if you would buy something at Scott.

Yeah, lots of €€€ in the end.
I've had my covid/carpe diem moment when ordering some of the parts.

Be sure I'll post pictures when we build them !
This is the first time I buy components before receiving the frame, and unfortunately the first time I wait so much for it ::)
They are selling the 936 like hot cakes, and BSA seems strangely in less demand.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #760 on: August 31, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
... wow, just looked at your spreadsheet. Really a high class build! It would have cost around 11000€ if you would buy something at Scott.

Yeah, lots of €€€ in the end.
I've had my covid/carpe diem moment when ordering some of the parts.

Be sure I'll post pictures when we build them !
This is the first time I buy components before receiving the frame, and unfortunately the first time I wait so much for it ::)
They are selling the 936 like hot cakes, and BSA seems strangely in less demand.

oh ok, I thought you already done with the build.
So you ordered the 936 with BSA? didn't know that was possible.
I'll try to run it with 30mm spindle and fat Race Face steel bearings. Let's see how they will perfom over time.

adroitrider

« Reply #761 on: August 31, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »
My build is complete and am sharing the weight and build list.

In summary, the weight came out to 11.75kgs that includes pedals and one King Cage stainless steel water bottle holder. Take those off and the bike comes in right at 25lbs. I spent just under $2800 and transferred the brakes, fork, wheels, tires, pedals, saddle and bottle cage from old bike. I also went take off 11spd Sram X0 group which was a steal.

I have since added the BRAD four and will add pics of the two bottles that fit quite nicely. I've done three rides, still working on the rebound settings and have order new brakes (Sram Level Ultimate) because the rear brake is damaged from an OTB event in June.

Tomorrow will be a 20 mile solo ride where i can focus on figuring out how to ride it fast...

carbonazza

« Reply #762 on: September 01, 2020, 02:43:28 AM »
So you ordered the 936 with BSA? didn't know that was possible.
I'll try to run it with 30mm spindle and fat Race Face steel bearings. Let's see how they will perfom over time.

They had BB386( a 46mm hole instead of 41mm ) for the CFR505 for a long time, I thought it was the norm.
The bad surprise came when ordering, I didn't want that Achilles heel on my brand new MTB.
I was going to drop it, but Wing told me they had BSA, which allows to put cheap and big industrial bearings.

If you live in a dry area, maybe it is less of a problem.
But from my experience and from what I read on the web, it is better to stick to a 24mm spindle.
You can always change it later if there too much trouble.

zorinena

« Reply #763 on: September 01, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »
My build is complete and am sharing the weight and build list.

In summary, the weight came out to 11.75kgs that includes pedals and one King Cage stainless steel water bottle holder. Take those off and the bike comes in right at 25lbs. I spent just under $2800 and transferred the brakes, fork, wheels, tires, pedals, saddle and bottle cage from old bike. I also went take off 11spd Sram X0 group which was a steal.

I have since added the BRAD four and will add pics of the two bottles that fit quite nicely. I've done three rides, still working on the rebound settings and have order new brakes (Sram Level Ultimate) because the rear brake is damaged from an OTB event in June.

Tomorrow will be a 20 mile solo ride where i can focus on figuring out how to ride it fast...
Thank you for the detailed response.. Would it be possible to update the spreadsheet with the specific components you used ( like the fork and the shocks.etc )
Also where did you get the xo1 so cheap.. ( and is it AXS or non AXS ? )

Cheers,
J

theirishrider

« Reply #764 on: September 01, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
Thank you for the detailed response.. Would it be possible to update the spreadsheet with the specific components you used ( like the fork and the shocks.etc )
Also where did you get the xo1 so cheap.. ( and is it AXS or non AXS ? )
I'm going to do this my dude! Will try tonight or tomorrow - it's a task because it had to buy from like 8 retailers in total. I'm still waiting for parts urgh customs. My Shock arrived in Ireland last weekend with USPS from that ebay 100euro deal posted before .. and still hasn't moved.. will I ever recieve it? - who knows flip a coin ahaha  ??? ??? ???