Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374781 times)

Colt__Seavers

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #810 on: September 14, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »
Hey guys, just found out some info on hangers and some other stuff after a pretty major crash :)

Hangers need to be ordered through Adam at carbonda. They are 5usd ea w/ 15usd shipping.

Next, if you're like me and have had to remove the rear wheel a few times you may notice the depth of the allen key isn't very deep and causes your hex head tools to not fit in there very deep. I started stripping the axel and went ahead and bought myself a new one. I ordered this axel and it fit in there flawlessly. Super high quality fit and finish on that thing. Worth putting on your shred sled!

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/hub-related/products/wolf-axle-for-12mm-rear-thru-axle?variant=13658986053667
178 x 1.5
On my frame the rear axle has an allen key socket which is at least 5-6mm deep. enough to tighten it up to 10Nm. But there is an o-ring insode the socket maybe 2mm from the face surface. This might seem like a stop for the allen key, but you just have to psh a little harder and the allen key will through. The o-ring is for better securing of the allen key while tightening.

Cerps

« Reply #811 on: September 14, 2020, 10:15:35 PM »
Talking abouit BBs, has anyone got an suggestions for BB protection? Beyond mastik tape. Also anyone have any suggestions about how to make a little piece of alu or steel for the chain ring protection on the chainstay next to the chain ring since mine was missing? :(
My BTLOS wheels shipped this week so I'm looking forward to a ride!

I made a downtube protector out of a Kydex sheet that I molded with a heat gun and used double-sided tape to affix it. You could do the same by cutting Kydex to shape for chainstay protection at the BB.

I tried heating kydex in the oven then forming around my lightcarbon frame. It looked nothing like the one I saw on pinkbike.  It seems like you have to get it pretty hot to mold it. Did you heat it in place on the frame? I thought about doing that but am worried about damaging my frame.

mtbluvr68

2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

adroitrider

« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2020, 11:23:06 AM »
In the process of installing some new brakes and noticed how marred the rear brake hose was from installation. So, before installing the new rear brake I filed down the entry and exit points to reduce the sharp edges.

You have to be very careful to avoid marred/scratched housing.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
I made a downtube protector out of a Kydex sheet that I molded with a heat gun and used double-sided tape to affix it. You could do the same by cutting Kydex to shape for chainstay protection at the BB.

I tried heating kydex in the oven then forming around my lightcarbon frame. It looked nothing like the one I saw on pinkbike.  It seems like you have to get it pretty hot to mold it. Did you heat it in place on the frame? I thought about doing that but am worried about damaging my frame.

I can't speak for painted frames, but it won't be hot enough to cause any damage to the carbon.

Cut Kydex to shape. Heat in the oven or with a heat gun to the point of having the kydex sheet completely flexible. Put some leather or thick work gloves on. Bike upside down. As quickly as you can, mold the sheet to the contour of the downtube. Keep holding it to the downtube until it cools enough to hold shape. Apply double-sided tape and affix to bike.

It won't look perfect, but it does the job. You may have good luck with some factory downtube protectors if they're roughtly the right dimensions.

Vipassana

« Reply #815 on: September 16, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
In the process of installing some new brakes and noticed how marred the rear brake hose was from installation. So, before installing the new rear brake I filed down the entry and exit points to reduce the sharp edges.

You have to be very careful to avoid marred/scratched housing.

My hardtail had this same issue.  I didn't end up filing anything down, but if I every run a new line, I will.  In my case, the tight area around the BB shell is what knicked up my lines.  It wasn't bad, but a bit of an annoyance.

adroitrider

« Reply #816 on: September 16, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »
Yeah, the dropper cable is worst. Should have started running it from the head tube to seat tube but for some reason started at the seat tube.

Same w rear brake. I keep the caliper attached and remove the lever so have to start from the back.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #817 on: September 16, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
I can't speak for painted frames, but it won't be hot enough to cause any damage to the carbon.

Cut Kydex to shape. Heat in the oven or with a heat gun to the point of having the kydex sheet completely flexible. Put some leather or thick work gloves on. Bike upside down. As quickly as you can, mold the sheet to the contour of the downtube. Keep holding it to the downtube until it cools enough to hold shape. Apply double-sided tape and affix to bike.

It won't look perfect, but it does the job. You may have good luck with some factory downtube protectors if they're roughtly the right dimensions.

be carefull here. CFRP doesn't like high temperatures above 120°C. Material coming out of an oven might be way more hot.

carbonazza

« Reply #818 on: September 18, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »
Anyone tried how the the clearance looks with a non boost chainring ?
If so, with how many theet  ?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #819 on: September 18, 2020, 08:30:00 AM »

With a Shimano XT M8000 non-boost crank and 34T round chainring there is plenty of clearance.
The same setup with a 34T oval chainring, not enough chainstay clearance.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:20:07 PM by Pharaohollie »

Denis

« Reply #820 on: September 18, 2020, 12:17:53 PM »
Clearance with 6mm offset non boost oval 32t.

carbonazza

« Reply #821 on: September 18, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
Thank you both, an oval 32 will be fine then.

6un4

« Reply #822 on: September 19, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
Maybe someone here has tried specialized epic evo and this frame ? How they are in comparison?

ride_n

« Reply #823 on: September 21, 2020, 11:15:02 AM »
re: shock: is a 165 x 38 same as 6.5 x 1.5...?

sheff171

« Reply #824 on: September 24, 2020, 05:47:05 PM »
Ordered a medium custom painted, standard weight, frame about a month ago and delivered today.  Upon initial inspection, the frame quality is very good, and the paint job is amazing.  Shipping surprised me, as it shipped on 9/22 and showed up on my doorstep TWO days later.  China to Michigan, USA! 

I have to now wait for some small parts to start my build up and transfer of parts from my current frame.  I also have a 165 x 40 RS SIDLuxe to try if I want to go with a 100mm travel set up.  Will be interesting to switch between the two and see which I like better (I'll have to get a 100mm fork though).